1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 10 to reserve 7GB storage for Windows Update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 9 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Even worse when you consider the install size of windows already. Going by my 32gb tablet, I can't imagine there being enough space on the 16GB tablets as my 32GB one is always out of space when windows does a big feature update. I'd be happy for Windows Update to start using the SD card as a storage location for big downloads.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Every major feature update, they seem to want to make Win 10 a worse proposition...

Three things;

Final paragraph, I think it's supposed to be 1903, not 1093?

I've had linux run out of disk space through two methods; processes going crazy with thousands of log entries and Ubuntu not cleaning up after itself and letting /boot fill to capacity (usually only a problem with encrypted drives, since /boot needs to be separate then...) with kernel updates.

I think there are other things MS need to do before worrying about "not enough space" for upgrades - like testing them to make sure that bugs known about for months don't mean they have to pull the update with egg all over their faces...

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, I'll go fix - ta!
    Yeah, the five percent reservation only stops normies from breaking things; if whatever's filling your drive is running as root, you're shafted. Stems from its origins as a multiuser system.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Doesn't seem to bad, at least it is not a percentage, having my PS4 reserve 15% for such things takes a stupidly unreasonable amount of space out of 1 and 2Tb drives.

16 or 32gb is the size of a cache on drives these day, not really ideal for entire systems HDD, even mobiles phone comes with more than that.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

No problem. ;)

I've had the "boot full" issue on three systems (all laptops) because it takes randomly variable amounts of time to hit me (depending on kernel update frequency) and because they're the systems I encrypt in case they get lost/stolen. It's easy to fix and has never caused me any grief, but first time it happened I was a bit worried. Kind of funny, though, since Debian doesn't suffer the same issue; it cleans up after itself, keeping the last-good kernel and whatever one you just installed. Normally updates are spaced out enough that I know if a kernel is stable or not so I rather prefer that method. Ubuntu's "keep all the things" route seems... inefficient.

Microsoft reserve the right to change that reserved amount at any time, without notice. So expect it to grow; Microsoft rarely make things smaller with updates. ;)

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Didn't they introduce an boot-to-diff-from-image scheme at one point? Married this this, it would allow for an Android-like update model: While running with Version X, perform the 'update' to Version X+1 in the background to a diff-ed copy of the current version, then 'swap' to that updated copy on the next boot.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd be interested to see the stats I assume Microsoft collects on specs of windows system, and what percentage of windows devices out there are of the 16-32GB variety.

Anyone making an issue of this with full fat desktop or laptop is just looking for things to complain about, but on an ultralight/tablet, could be another matter.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Indeed - I've got a little tablet with only 32Gb of inbuilt storage, so it may spell the end of further updates for it!

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's probably not something they'd release but the Steam HW survey, if we're to take it as being close'ish to accurate, says 0.46% have less than 10-99GB total space and available space of less than 10GB is 1.12%.

I can't remember what the most recent number Microsoft gave for how many people use Windows 10 but it's probably more than 100m so the 7GB thing is probably going to affect around 10k users.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That'll skew your results: I very much doubt the majority of people buying the £70 Linx 7s and the like put Steam on 'em.
    Same: I've a 32GB Linx 7 which was upgraded to Windows 10. Guess it's time to retire it!

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm not sure we can take Steam's install base as representative, as it's gaming roots will naturally lend it a view of the larger end of the scale - just looking at my on circumstances, I have Steam installed on one machine with a 1TB system drive, and 5 other windows 10 systems where Steam isn't installed with markedly less.

Fortunately wifey's tablet/laptop/thing (YogaBook) is 64GB and not 32GB as I had initially thought, so should have a bit of shelf life left in it.

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I find it amazing that 200 megs of framing can still hold up the 40-ish gigs of plaster and glue. Or is the Winchester house a better metaphor?
    I couldn't get 8 to update on a 32gig drive. I have no Idea how you guys managed on 10 until now.
    They need that 7 gigs to store Candy Crush Saga, and probably Prodigy, AOL, and Compuserve.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea sorry, i wasn't trying to say those figures are exact or anything, more that 10k maybe a half decent ballpark guess at how many people it will effect. Basically i can't think of another way to guesstimate the number. :)

Tags: Add Tags