1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It uses degressive proportionality, i had to look that one up. :oops:

Don't ask me how they do it though as i CBA to read the wiki entry. :)
    Administration, that i assume includes MEPs salaries, only accounts for 7.1% of total expenditure so I'm guessing reallocating 28 seats instead of just removing them accounts for a tiny percentage. That's not to say 28 fewer MEP salaries wouldn't cut expenditure but in the grand scheme of things it's a drop in the ocean.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Given that EU GDP, and hence EU budget, will have grown enough by 2021 to cancel out that year's payment of the Brexit bill, I don't think that they have to pinch pennies.

3. Risky

Risky Modder

It's wonderful that in the EU there is never any shortage of free money.

Perhaps that should have been the remain slogan.* Instead of, um, I can't remember what.**

*Perhaps not a problem that it can't be tranaslated into Greek

** I think they had two, iirc, the main campaign's "Vote Remain or we will have to kill your cat at the next budget!" and Corbyn's "David Cameron is awful!"

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Considering the global forecast is looking bleak and the ECB has put a stop to its stimulus package (god knows why at this point in time) I don't think anybody, anywhere should feel comfortable about finances.

5. Risky

Risky Modder

The parliament 2018 budget is EUR1.95bn so 7% is only EUR137m, I agree.

Now yes 7% of anything is a lot less than 93% of it, and no cutting 7% of the MEPs wouldn't save 7% of the total budget, but the point is that this seriously doesn't look like the time to be awarding your institution and bigger slice of the cake just because the size of the cake is changing.

But this isn't about brexit, really, just the way the EP behaves. Iirc the remain campaign didn't try and focus on the loss of our MEPs as a reason to stay in the EU for some reason.

6. Nexxo

Must have shaken May's magic money tree --the one she shook for the DUP. Brexit is a real responsible use of money.

The Remain slogan was "Better off in". In Greek it loosely translates to: "Just because you got to use Germany's credit card doesn't mean you can go on a spending spree".

Glass houses, dude. And I'm sure the Remain campaign at some point said something about having a voice in the EU, which logically implies having MEPs in EP. To reasonably intelligent people, that is.

7. Nexxo

Next Credit Crunch is predicted for around 2020. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

8. adidan

Just the right time to decide strength in numbers is nonsense then eh? :wallbash:

I don't know how much more exasperated I could be by this clusterfu..

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Given economists past record on predictions, that probably means 2020 will be a year of strong growth instead.

10. adidan

Oh some did forecast pre 2008, one got the title Dr Doom.

11. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Lots forecast a crash would happen which given our economic system isn't rocket science, its very difficult to predict the exact year.

Just by making the prediction you could change when it happens.

12. adidan

Oh true enough, but then I guess the other option is just waiting with a fan for the sh*t delivery. :)

Archtronics likes this.
  13. Nexxo

Six economists predicted the 2008 crash, back in 2005, within a year's accuracy. They were completely ignored. Two of these are now saying the next is due around 2020.

The UK is going to sail right into that storm, with its economy in disarray after a disorderly Brexit, a government without a plan or a clue, a weakened currency and a ballooning debt bubble. Good times ahead.

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It is still possible to stop Brexit from happening, remind your MP of this frequently and loudly.

15. Nexxo

I'm a queue-jumping, citizen-of-nowhere bargaining card, I'm afraid. I have no vote.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It was more than that, i was bored so I've been reading a paper by Dirk J Bezemer: "No One Saw This Coming" Understanding Financial Crisis Through Accounting Models.

They were pretty rigorous in their selection criteria and say the 12 analysts are a mixed company of academics, government advisers, consultants, investors, stock market commentators and one graduate student.

adidan and Nexxo like this.
  17. adidan

Dude, what with this light reading and delving into monitor terminology I feel I should intervene and force you to take a break before you lose your mind. :)

Thanks for the synopsis though, it does run contrary to the headline grabbing 'what do experts know' nonsense.

Corky42 likes this.
  18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just put on the red dress and high heels, then you'll be the hot girl from foreign lands that motivates our youth to go pick strawberries for min wage.:p

19. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Heartened to see some truth finally being spoken in the House

adidan and Corky42 like this.
  20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Bit of a shame there wasn't more MPs there to listen to ^^that^^, if only they were debating something important...
    Too much waiting around for clients. :(