1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays G-sync on Freesync.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xxxsonic1971, 7 Jan 2019.

1. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

I've just read that Nvidia are going to allow gsync on non gync monitors through a drver update, is it worth getting a freesync monitor now for this? Or is it not going to be as good a proper gync monitor?

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've been following this for around 6 months now. I'd wait until there's a larger list of monitors approved and we know more about their implementation.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

According to Nvidia, the "G-Sync Certified" displays should be as good as real G-Sync displays; the flipside is that they've only certified 12 of the 400 they've tested so far. You'll be able to enable "G-Sync" on non-certified FreeSync (sorry, Nvidia, "VESA Adaptive Sync") displays, but they make no guarantees as to quality - or even whether it'll work at all.

MLyons likes this.
  4. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

My personal preference would be the compromise i.e. a decent 144Hz+ monitor with the panel type of your preference be it IPS, TN or VA - that way your not tied in to either flavour GPU.

Thewelder likes this.
  5. xxxsonic1971

Ive been looking at renewing my monitor for a while, i was going to get a g-sync screen just before xmas- but booked holiday instead.....Its just the cost of g-sync of over freesync that put me off.
    The monitors i was looking at were £400-£500, hopefully now i can get a g-sync screen for alot less.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup at one point they said they were going to support passive 3d screens. Two were implemented. Like, literally two.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

To be fair, manufacturers only made two; everyone else just dumped some active shutter glasses in the box with an existing monitor.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ooh i'll test it out when the driver comes out.

Is there a good way/program to test if it works rather than a subjective warching in games?

Edit: I am wondering "why now?". Anything to do with potential AMD news at CES or am I reading too much into it?

Last edited: 7 Jan 2019
  9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

prolly more to do with the prices of freesynch, lower to mid end it just makes sense to build a non GF based pc. ive been planing on building a itx pc for my eldest and amd and freesycnh is just so damn easy on the wallet compared to going the GF and gsynch route

10. adidan

Yeah but it's always been the way, for an age people have been waiting for nvidia to do this so it just begs the question why now?

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome news, i'm just curious.

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Nail - head. 144hz freesync monitor with an AMD card costs significantly less than the Nvidia alternative.

12. xxxsonic1971

As Above..I'm glad i held off getting a gsync monitor. I would have felt a bit ripped off if i had paid extra for it back then.

13. Vault-Tec

That's odd because I had three 3D monitors, all passive, that came with passive glasses. None of them were officially supported so I had to hack the EDID. The only stipulation using Nvidia's shutter glasses was 120hz.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

99.9% guaranteed that AMD won't have a GPU that is even remotely competitive at the sharp end in 2019.

While nothing is known about the next gen consoles (other than the fact that both will be running AMD HW) don't forget that Xbone has enabled Freesync some time ago, so we can expect to see both next gen consoles come with it enabled out of the box.
    Plus the Intel GPU is only ~1 year away and will probably support freesync too.

So the "everyone" part in the nvidia vs everyone equation is guaranteed to grow a lot.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Which will likely mean the value of certified freesync panels will go through the roof.

16. adidan

Well i'm going to test it out in a week or so :)

17. Vault-Tec

Just before Xmas I managed to bag a 240hz Alienware screen for £250. The G-sync version is over £500. Unsurprisingly my monitor is not on the support list. Mostly because (as the guys on another forum quickly deduced) Nvidia are not supporting monitors that come in both flavours. They only seem to be supporting the ones that have no G-sync equivalent, and probably because they want AMD customers to buy their GPUs. What I mean is (I'm so crap at explaining things) they are only supporting screens where there is no G-sync at all on any model. So they are trying to bag the "Well I only bought a Vega because I have a Freesync monitor" crowd.

A lot of people invested into Freesync before Vega came out, then ultimately had far less choice.

18. Thewelder

Thewelder What's a Dremel?

I have the same monitor to my gtx 1080....nothing enabled....runs amazing.
    Just pair a decent system up to a good monitor and enjoy...120hz,1-2 ms monitor is all that's needed in these current times imo.

19. Vault-Tec

Well I won't be able to test this particular monitor because it is paired with a Vega 64. I will, however, be able to test my HP 32 with it when I get home :) that is Freesync, 70hz and I am using a Titan XP. Apparently it should work, supported or not. I can find out tomorrow when the driver releases :)

20. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Is it the same HP Omen I have? 32", 1440p, freesync, 75hz? Mine will run 75hz on an AMD card no issues, freesync on or off, however It HATES 75hz on an nvidia card, loads of people complained about it frame skipping.