1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What to take away about 3rd Gen Ryzen from AMD's CES Keynote

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 14 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Probably that when Lisa showed the actual chip there's enough room for another 8 cores to be slapped in there 16/32 on the way now doubt. That or a big ol' graphics chip.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Vega II should give us an idea of how well 7nm clocks, we know their claiming a boost of 1.8Ghz but we don't know if that's a sustained boost or a 1ns thing, if it's able to sustain 1800Mhz then going from 14nm LPP (original Vega) to 7nm LP seems to net around 300Mhz.

If we apply that to the original Ryzen boost clocks (iirc it also used 14nm LPP) then we get around 4.5Ghz, maybe that's being a little conservative because CPUs typically have a lower transistor count so it's easier to manage heat related issues, having said that I'd be surprised if we saw 3rd Gen Ryzen hitting much more than 4.7Ghz all core boost.

:worried:

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

But putting a GPU worthy of a Ryzen 7 on a single chip would leave you with a TDP of 'lol'.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2019
    MLyons, jb0 and adidan like this.
  5. adidan

Couldn't give a monkey's abouf that idea anyway, not the first (nor last) one i'll have :)

Word is TDP range will be the same as Ryzen 2000's and the RAM in the demo was at 2666Mhz but they're looking at aiming for 3200Mhz.

On top of that looking at a 19% minimum IPC gain over 2000 series (iirc).

Promising, think i'll be upgrading this year :)

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Lisa Su has already stated that (for Matisse at least) there will be no iGPU

7. adidan

I really should have left those 7 words of brain waffle off at the end...

8. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

It's interesting because technically the GPUs (Navi) and CPUs both have infinity fabric onboard which they must be using for the IO chip links, and there's room for two CPUs and so there's room for something like a Polaris class GPU (fairly small die) which at 7nm would be actually pretty decent.

The problems are the following:
    • TDP, Zen 2 is efficient but you're still limited by the socket's 105W rating
    • Memory bandwidth starvation, DDR 5 might help next year, but really the GPU is always going to be bottlenecked with normal DIMMs and dual channel memory at the size of something like Polaris/Navi

9. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I've already started saving

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If there is performance parity there will be price parity, either way I'm glad I held off my Ryzen gen 1 upgrade, this looks a far more tantalizing prospect, I'd imagine Intel can knock a chip out in the next 6 months mind you.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

LMFTFY...

They can propose a chip and demo it, proceed to launch 6 months after AMD and then charge 50% more because Intel.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This. Why would AMD continue pushing very low prices for a then equal product?

13. adidan

Yeah I expect the prices not to be as AMDerific as they have been in the past. I hope they are but I'm doubtful.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nah, Intels new chips are only due at the end of the year, so AMD will have a couple months of joy with the 8 core they've shown off, then they will have to launch the dual module 16 core to go up against the next Intel chips.

Not like Intel will care too much though:
    Intel still has a near monopoly in Laptops, Pre-built Desktops and Servers, regardless of what AMD does in the DIY Desktop market.

15. adidan

True enough although I think they're planning on trying on to chip away at that:
    But yeah, Intel have their feet firmly under the table.

Tags: Add Tags