1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other LED Lighting

Discussion in 'General' started by Arboreal, 12 Jan 2019.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I'm full of questions today, things that are bugging me....here goes with No1

We have a relatively inexpensive self standing halogen uplighter in the living room which uses a 400W R7 fit floodlight bulb,
    Having changed pretty much every other light in the house to LED, it is now the most hungry light we have and the least efficient.
    As it has a dimmer switch, I can't swap out out for conversion LED blocks, and anyway, they seem to have a WAY lower lumen rating. Looking at Toolstation for example, the 400W 118mm R7 is rated at over 8,500 lumens, and the LED replacement, just 520 Lumens!

I've searched and not found anything remotely suitable that isn't £100s

Any thoughts please?

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

And you wont find one, its simply impossible to cram that many LEDs in such a small form factor (R7 bulb) while maintaining adequate cooling. Any retrofitting solution most likely will be way more expensive than just buying a new LED uplighter.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think you're going to struggle (and probably fail) to get that many lumens in that small a package with LEDs. Closest common equivalent seem to be about +/-2000lm or so.
    8,500 seems like a lot for most rooms to me. How big/bright is your living room?!

4. Arboreal

Apologies, I should have been clearer...thanks for the answers so far

No need for a retrofit, as the dimmer will probably mess up an LED installation. I was looking for a whole new uplighter, but couldn't see anything bright enough.

The room is 12 x 23 ft / 3.6 x 7 m approx (medium grey walls) with a white 8ft / 2.4m ceiling. We use it at various light levels in the evening, it's in the corner, with a table lamp in the opposite corner. We also have 2 pendant lights, but the light quality is OK for working in ther, but not relaxing with the TV.

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

why would you need 400W / 8500 lumens for a 3.6m x7m room

sweet jesus thats bright? For perspective i have a 4.5x10m living/dinning room and we have 2 ceiling pendants with 5 LEDS on each. they output 40W equivalent or 400W but its not anywhere near 8500 lumens. I think its in the region of 4000-5000 but thats 10 individual lights

6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I'm with everyone else here. 8500 lumens seems extremely excessive, given a modern car's HID headlight is around 3k lumens.

Your house, your leccy bill at the end of the day but surely more evenly distributed diffused lighting would achieve more comfortable relaxing and working conditions than a football stadium floodlight in the corner?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm guessing the answer comes in the form of:
    If @Arboreal is using an 8,500-lumen lamp at full blast in a room that size, I can only assume it also involves wearing sunglasses at night. My guess, here, would be that the dimmer never goes above 20 percent duty cycle - so while, yes, the lamp is 8,500 lumen, it's never putting out anywhere near that kind of light.

Solution: get a 1,000-lumen-ish dimmable LED. Job done.

Arboreal likes this.
  8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

There are plenty of legitimate uses for an 8500 lumen lamp in your lounge. Dentistry, interrogation, catching up on your tan.

9. Arboreal

Thanks Gareth, you're probably right; it does get shoved up some of the time for short periods of bright - probably the 'management' looking for lost remotes on a dark grey sofa :lol:.

Ahhh, you have me there Mr_T - option 'B' when asking my 18 year old where's been at all hours and trying to get some sense out of him!

OK, 1k Lumen search it is :grin:

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

1000 lumen LED will put out the equivalent light as a 75W incandescent bulb.

Here's a handy dandy LED equivalent chart with lumen ratings. Obviously, LEDs vary but should be close enough:

[​IMG]

Arboreal likes this.
  11. Arboreal

:thumb: Looks ideal, thanks. Something 15-20W looks promising and hopefully dimmable