1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WD, EKWB unveil gaming-focused Black SN750 NVMe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

With motherboards increasingly being fitted with integrated M2 heatsinks, surely this product will soon be largely irrelevant.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends if it works any better that the built-in ones, some of which actually increase operating temperature 'cos half the stuff slapped onto modern motherboards is about looking slick rather than actually serving a useful function.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I wasn't actually aware some were that useless...

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

VRM heatisnks for example

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Also depends on the SSD. Pretty sure the Kingston one they used in that test has components on both sides, so the parts on the underside don't benefit, and get hot, due to reduced local airflow thanks to the heatsink up top. However, most PCIe M.2 SSDs these days including Samsung's 900-series that were around when that test was carried out (not sure why they used a Kingston one...), have most if not all of their components on the top side of the SSD and also benefit from a part label/part copper heatsink on the underside as standard. I've used a Samsung 960 Evo with all my board testing and not one motherboard heatink I've tested has actually ended up with worse results than no heatsink at all.

Guest-56605 likes this.
  7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I'm running two NVMe drives on my Crosshair VII, the 960 Evo under the motherboard heatsink always runs hotter than the externally mounted Adata XPG 8200 (which has a Silverstone heatsink); the externally mounted drive certainly benefits from the case airflow.

In my experience (hands on), some drives will throttle under sustained load more so than others (with or without a heatsink) - generally speaking however a third party heatsink is always recommended if the drive is home to the OS and in 6-8 hours plus usage per day.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I know for a fact that my SM951 will throttle without the heatsink that I have on it (not the one from you, Paul... I've yet to swap it!)

Without a heatsink on the controller, it idles in the 60s and shoots into the 80s for no reason. With the heatsink, it struggles to break into the 50s under load.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My NVME sit in between GPU slots but I am water cooled on GPUs so there is bugger all airflow and mine will throttle, only on really large transfers but popped some old GPU heat sink on and it works well, better than MSIs M2 heatsinks, of course it sticks out and looks less cool, so it goes.

When it throttles it drops to half its rate ~3Gb to ~1.5Gb, still fast.

Tags: Add Tags