1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google takes Chrome's ad blocking international

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Methanoid

Methanoid What's a Dremel?

Who cares about this... I'd rather block ALL adverts than use a browser designed to only allow "approved" ads.....

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Because a lot of sites rely solely on adverts to stay up. If everyone blocked all adverts places like bit wouldn't be able to operate. When you block all ads it often leads websites to just use more extreme ads.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

and because websites use more extreme ads, people use more aggressive ad blockers.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's a hard thing to fix. It's not as if publishers can be like "right OK everyone we won't use bad ads we promise. please disable your ad blockers." Here at bit we use what we consider friendly adverts. There's no popups, super intrusive tracking, audio, video or large file downloads.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2019
  6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

The problem is that what the internet does best is destroy value chains.
    Newspapers relied on classified ads to generate income to supply loss-leading news. The internet removed that and so they turned to online advertising which became more intrusive at the behest of the advertisers, to the point where the advertising overwhelmed the news. They are now turning to the subscription service paradigm - Following the TV industry and music industries.
    It's not hard to fix, it's impossible to fix, because the value chains are ultimately unsustainable. What traditional news websites need to do is explore alternative and sustainable revenue streams, such as relevant community services (which is why I suggested ad-hoc game server hosting in the discord server a while back).

Last edited: 21 Jan 2019
  7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Microtransactions (ie. "my impression is worth 0.08p, so I'll just give yo uthe 0.08p myself!"): keeps being tried, but would need an ad network on-board in order to do so in sufficient volumes to work, and doing so would directly tank the value of adverts on that page and via that network (i.e. an ad network would need to switch 100% overnight, or would see an immediate dramatic drop in revenue).
    Self-hosted ads: many of the evils of adverts (obnoxiousness, cross-site tracking, malware injection) come from the presence of ad networks. Direct ad hosting (i.e. the 'newspaper model', advertisers buy 'page space' directly rather than a nebulous ad network sitting in the middle) is the 'least worst' ad model for viewers, but lacks all the analytic bells & whistles that the PHB legions demand so is usually a non-starter unless you;re already a massive operation.
    Patronage (e.g. Patreon, Ars Premier, TechReport subsciption, etc): probably the most viable mechanism, though I don't think there are any news sites supported purely this way, but used as a supplement to 'wider audience' views with advertising.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or disable adblocker to view site popups.

9. MLyons

It's very hard to make money from this.
    Yes this is very tricky to do and makes doing SEO stuff a bit of a pain as well.
    We actually do a lot of this.
    This can get right in the bin. Or those sites that do a popup when you move the mouse towards the top of the screen. I understand a "Would you consider not using adblock" message but deliberately blocking content I don't

Corky42 likes this.
  10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Or just as hated: 'dynamic' sites that will shove content about as ads load, resulting an in adlink popping up right under your cursor (or finger) while you're trying to do something else.

11. MLyons

I know of at least one very popular site that deliberately loads code that will trigger only if you move your mouse within the top 100px of the screen saying "don't leave" What are thoughts on replacing the white gap from adblocked ads with a "please consider turning off adblock" message?

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A static message would be one thing, but a singing-dancing-animated-banner is basically just an ad for disabling ad-blockers and would, in turn, get blocked.

I like the idea of paying a subscription for an ad-free experience - plus whatever other extras might tempt people into subscribing, like early access to content or the ability to download raw benchmark results and the like. I mean, I probably wouldn't pay it, but I like the idea of it being an option...

13. MLyons

Was thinking more a funny picture of dogbert with the text "every add blocked adds a tear"

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Very Whitespace, so <div>, much adblock, Wow!

15. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

It is. However, it's also difficult to make money from ad-based revenue when your readership are empowered with the tools to block a "service" they don't want. I'm just suggesting that you should start brain-storming ideas for services that the readership actually do want.

16. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

The problem is people.

People as a whole are greedy and selfish. As such Many will resort to putting up all kinds of adverts without thinking of the consequences. I refer to these people as *profanity*... Abuse the system and those affected will find a way to avoid such abuse. As and when this happens, all those who play by a fair set of rules ultimately suffer.

My thoughts..
    The internet should be regulated.
    Advertisement should be regulated.
    Sites that do not adhere to guidelines/rules should be fined or closed.

We don't however live in a perfect world, if we did we wouldn't have May or Trump.

17. thetech1

thetech1 What's a Dremel?

What ad blocking? I certainly haven't noticed Chrome blocking ads by itself

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

So, use an ad-blocker controlled by one of the world's largest advertising behemoths and let them control what's okay and what's not. Right.
    And "for security and speed", said advertising behemoth posits to disallow anything else to get in the way of what they say is okay and what's not... https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/22/google_chrome_browser_ad_content_block_change/

Does this not have "antitrust" written all over it?

I've been using chrome since early doors, but may start trying to wean myself off it, as I've been slowly moving off of other Google services as well. Google has been starting to make me feel a bit... icky... recently.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean... you wouldn't, would you? Like, did you notice the pink elephant GIF I didn't include in this post?

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Adverts? What are they? Been using pi-hole on my home network for quite a while now...

It only blocks advertising and tracking domains so I do see unobtrusive locally hosted ads like those on bit, I have yet to come across any reduced functionality or issues with four in the family using around a dozen or so internet enabled devices.

The shock I suffer when have to browse away from my LAN (e.g. 3/4 G) is massive, it really reinforces my use of pi-hole. Fun fact - across my dozen or so internet enabled devices, around 30 percent of all DNS requests are blocked - why would I want to let that cancer download in the first place?

Give Alphabet (world's largest ad company) control over what I see in a browser? - Lucifer would need snow shoes first...

Last edited: 23 Jan 2019
Tags: Add Tags