1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Looking for drill recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 21 Jan 2019.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't want to spend a lot but I want something better than my buddies Ikea drill.
    I'm sure it works well for putting Ikea furniture together (as I am the one that put it together), but I think it is more serviceable as a sonic screwdriver. My wife just asked why I don't borrow his ikea "drill" to assemble the playground set...
    [​IMG]

I don't want to go over £100, it would be nice if that included a 100pcs drill bit set.
    I don't mind watching sites until something goes on sale.
    I would like a wireless 18v as that seems like it will be sufficient for most jobs
    I would like a combi drill as I seem to have mortar walls.
    I would like to hang photos, mount. a TV, assemble furniture and put this playground together.
    For some reason, they only pre-drill some of the holes.
    [​IMG]

I see some decent brands are Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Black+Decker.
    I would not mind a set with a drill bit kit but some included ones seem to be rubish so I don't mind picking this up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    for £20-30. I read the Makita kits are rubbish but I don't know if that is true.

I've seen the some options but I haven't seen any great deals. I also don't know where to look other than Amazon and I figured this is the best place to ask.

Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 Cordless Combi Drill with Two 18 V Lithium-Ion Batteries is £80
    MAKITA G-SERIES CORDLESS 18V 1.5AH LI-ION COMBI DRILL 2 BATTERIES HP457DWEX2 for £75

I've also seen a range of 1.3Ah - 4Ah Li-ion batteries does this effect power or just capacity.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Screwfix have a dewalt and a makita for £100. For an extra £20 they have a dewalt on sale that's a 50% more powerful and has larger batteries.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The G-series are basically just Makita's drills from a few years ago built in another factory (IIRC they literally just ship the injection moulds and wiring jigs over to Malaysia to set up again). They're not compatible with the 'proper' (LXT) Makita batteries and chargers, so be wary of getting the right ones (often not included with the tool itself). A corded drill with an extension cord is worth taking a look at to save a good bundle and give a bit more power than the lower end cordless drills.
    If you've got older hard brick walls, I wholeheartedly recommend getting a 'rotary hammer' rather than a 'hammer drill'. The difference being that a 'hammer drill' will chatter away for 10 minutes vibrating your hand a making a dusty divot while a 'rotary hammer' will chooch its way through with minimal effort. A <£100 corded SDS multi-mode (lets you use it as a rotary hammer, a power-chisel, and a regular spinny-thing drill) rotary hammer will do pretty much all the make-a-hole-in-a-thing jobs you could want at home. The downside is it can't really pull double-duty as a power screwdriver, being heavier and bulkier and having the propensity to twist the heads clean off screws.

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

I did not that the G-series was not the same as the LXT series from doing some research.
    I'm not completely against a corded drill as I don't need to worry about battery health, but the selection is very limited and I didn't see any corded combi drills. The SDS multi-mode drills look like overkill for hanging some photos and a mounting a TV.
    This will see the most use as an electric driver.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Best cordless drill/driver I ever owned was an Elu. Got it from a chippie mate who 'upgraded' (god knows what to, because the Elu was amazing). It was only 12v but absolutely destroyed my 18v DeWalt.

The Elu had so much torque that it didn't actually turn the screw, more the screw remained still and it span the world around it.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I hardly have a breadth of experience but I do like my like my Ryobi stuff.
    I started with a combi drill kit, with two decent capacity batteries, a fast charger and a case, all for £100. The drill has been used for the sort of jobs you describe and has been good.
    Plus now, without ever buying any more batteries, I now have a small collection of relatively inexpensive cordless tools that have all been really handy and performed well.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would love to get something second hand from a buddy but my generation (or at least my friends) are not the handymen of my father's generation.
    I've looked on eBay but it's a bit of a mess. Most tools are well used and batter condition is unknown. Not only that, most don't include a charger. A new battery and charger would wipe out any potential savings.
    It seems that I should try to stick under £80 or go over £150. While I could get a very nice trade-grade combi drill for £150, it would be a waste for assembling furniture and hanging pictures.
    I think I would be better off spending £50-80 with another £20-30 on a drill bit set.

Erbauer ECD18-Li-2 18V 2.0Ah Li-Ion EXT Brushless Cordless Combi £70 or with a 4AH battery for £83
    Makita G-Series Cordless 18V 1.5Ah Li-ion Combi drill 2 batteries £75
    Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 Cordless Combi Drill with 2x 1.5Ah £80
    Hitachi DV18DBFL2 18V Li-Ion Cordless Brushless Combi Drill 1 x 3.0Ah £100

What is a good, durable drill bit kit around 75-100pcs that has socket, screwdriver and drill bit set for wood/masonry/metal?

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

These are highly recommended and seem to go on sale regularly.

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you've got the choice of two similar spec drivers, one with 2x 1.5Ah batteries and the other with 1x 3Ah battery - take the one with two batteries so you can use one pack whilst the other is charging.

If you're not a heavy user, chances are you'll not deplete a 1.5Ah battery before the other is charged so you'll have less down time.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'd agree that 2 batteries are better than one big one. My kit came with a fast charger and 2x2.5Ah. I've found this to be a setup that allows basically continuous use, and if you have multiple tools you can use two at once without swapping batteries.

Ryobi wise, this kit is the closest I could see for a good price: https://www.homebase.co.uk/ryobi-on...l-kit-2x2-5ah-batteries-r18pdbl-ll25s_p389759 (£136 for brushless combi drill, 2x2.5Ah, fast charger)

The charger, batteries and case are the same but if comes with the brushless version of the combi drill, which should be nicer (?:happy:), albeit it is a bit more than I paid a few years ago for the non-brushless version.

If you look at the prices of the items in the kit separately it still looks like good value I think. The larger batteries tend to be what costs you and affordable kits with 2x2.5Ah (which means the nicer battery design with the level indicator) are fairly rare.

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

This is very true, the drill is not really the expensive part. I have found lots of good deal for the drill body only.
    It seems that the Ryobi frequently is marked down on Amazon so I will be patient and see if I can find a good deal.

How does the Ryobi One+ compare to the Hitachi DV18DBFL2 and Erbauer ECD18-LI-2 which are both brushless?

12. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I bought my Ryobi 18V Drill with 2 Batteries and fast charger in 2012 for a special deal price of £78. Although used only occasionally the batteries are holding their charge extremely well. I've been very impressed with it. The only other Ryobi kit I have that use the batteries is the vacuum cleaner which gets regular use.

silk186 likes this.
  13. thetech1

thetech1 What's a Dremel?

silk186 likes this.
  14. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

+1 for Makita, I'm a ceiling fixer and i'm using a Makita battery drill all day - 5 days a week, and cannot fault it.
    I always used to use Hilti gear, but now some of my kit is Makita as its nearly as good, and alot cheaper than Hilti.

silk186 likes this.
Tags: