1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Privacy crap on every website

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 23 Jan 2019.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Oh dear god I'm so fed up with this.

Every website I go on, I reject it all, half the time it's all hidden so u can't easily reject, sometimes you have to do every single item one by one.

The worst is the AA I'm asked every single time, I've probably used the route planner on three different devices and it just doesn't go away.

What's the point in it all..

Last edited: 23 Jan 2019
    Arboreal and adidan like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye, some sites make it pretty easy, others it takes a good 5 minutes to reject things.

It should be a default rejection otherwise it's pointless as people will just be worn down through atrition having to do it every visit.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Don't these websites realise that if they make it hard it makes me suspicious and therefore causes me to say stuff it and not even bother with the site.

So basically they lose custom so to speak.

It's worse than aggressive pop ups.

Arboreal and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I've already given up and just agree, I really don't care anymore. But what I find incredibly annoying is being asked every time I go on the same website. I've told you you can have a bloody cookie so dam well use it! I'm looking at you Scan homepage request :rollingeyes:

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

On my work PC, Scan shows as "offline" unless I clear their cookie & site data - EVERY time! :wallbash:

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Crapman be like:
    [​IMG]

I be like:
    [​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. adidan

I know your game Dave. Forget milkshake, you're trying to entice all the boys to the yard with your cookies.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

All day every day.
    [​IMG]

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"PC Load Letter?" The **** does that mean?

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. The_Crapman

[​IMG]

edzieba and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It's just the same as those 'we see you are using AdBlocker' messages that pop up, as the items blocked number in my browser climbs like a homesick angel.

That's not how it works anymore, I run the ad block full time, then turn it off on a site once I've decided it's legit (Hi Bit Tech!).

12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I do the same tbh. Site seems fine. disable adblock. If it asks me to politly turn it off i might give it a go but if it's aggressive then I won't If they replace the ads I've blocked with funny text or images such as reddit used to do I'll turn it off as well.

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

VitalMTB used to have the best one, if you blocked ads they would be replaced by pictures of people having painful looking crashes.

14. creative

creative 500rwhp

nope... adblock never gets turned off on mine.

My machine my choice. If a site wont display the information due to adblock being enabled then I will go elsewhere, its very simple.

Fizzban likes this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Privacy Badger and UBlock Origin do a good job of blocking all that crap anyway. I used to spend ages going through all that stuff manually, but I soon realised that Privacy Badger was blocking it all anyway.

There are a handful of domains I've blocked on this site - TBF those domains are solely related to these little buggers, rather than anything more nefarious (although if facebook and twitter tracking you via these little icons isn't nefarious enough for you then you're probably not the target audience for this particular plugin...).

[​IMG]

It's actually quite simple. PC = paper cassette (aka tray), letter = "letter"-size paper (weird US measurement, don't ask me); therefore, PC Load Letter = Load letter-sized paper into the paper cassette.

No, I totally wasn't sad enough to look that up years ago, why do you ask?

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I seem to remember seeing a block list for ublock to stop gdpr pop up. I don't know what happens if you don't select it, does the site assume you agree or not. I've been running ublock and since I saw it mentioned on OCUK, nanodefender too. I don't think I've seen a "please disable your adblock" since I started using it.

17. adidan

I can't remember the site(s) but I swear some of them have had something along the lines of if you click away/close the gdpr pop up you're indirectly agreeing to everything.

Whether that's even legal or not I don't know.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I used to be a school sysadmin, where 90% of my job was keeping the printers fed. I'm well aware of what "PC Load Letter" means - and may or may not have hacked the HPs to read "Insert Coin" while idle...

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Byron C, Ruining jokes since 1982™.

adidan likes this.
  20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Should have made it say Game Over when out of paper too :p

Arboreal and Gareth Halfacree like this.