1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Is 'Limited Edition' hardware worth it?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 30 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I don't 'keep my PC in a windowless black case under my desk, because I'm boring'.

I keep my PC in a windowless black case on my desk. :p:

As for limited edition runs, well, if they also provide a discernible improvement over the standard then yeah, why not, I guess. Personally, that's the only thing that would peek my interest.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Not a fan of themed hardware either. There's a load of BO4 hardware and peripherals out at the moment, which is fine for the fanboiz but what happens when the game's old in a few years?

What is the resale value of hardware emblazoned with logos from a game that isn't cool any more? Foolish to buy it IMO.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I do. Saved me a bloody fortune compared to buying a bunch of RGB bling and tempered glass, and it's infinitely quieter than having it on the desk, and I have more desk space as a result.

But it's mostly 'cos I'm boring.

Dogbert666 and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Limited edition hardware strikes me as very similar to low-production number performance versions of standard cars.

To most, utterly stupid and a waste of money. Usually in gaudy colours.

To the people who like it? Crack cocaine covered in heroin.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I use headphones and I don't need extra room on my desk for all those empty bottles of 'writer's aid'. :)

Gareth Halfacree and The_Crapman like this.
  7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

To me this makes more sense. There's typically an element of manual fettling involved, possibly third party parts or engineers, likely a limited market at well.
    A limited run car I happen to be familiar with is the Polestar. There are fair few components not from the Volvo parts bin, third party suppliers, and bespoke for the specific model, along with engineers from the racing arm involved with development/production. This along with the simple question of how many people will pick the Polestar vs something German with their own money (as desirability doesn't necessarily translate there either), makes sense to do a limited run.

Of course there are other manufacturers *COUGHPORSCHECOUGHCOUGH* that just do it to influence demand and let their favouritest dealers pad out their revenue, but at least they're distinctly separate models.

Not so convinced with PC hardware though, especially with the way it drops in value. For marginal additional cost, and it it looks or performs better, or there are other perks to having it then maybe. But I'm not sure I really see the value in "limited" in of itself.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2019
  8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Same here, except I pushed the boat out with a white case. :thumb:

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Happy to buy limited editions if they provide something for the bump in price, like cherry picked GPUs and CPUs but I'd do so in the knowledge they will be worth nothing once next gen comes out.

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Limited edition seems like an overused tag line plopped on any old product to make it seem special and make the price hike seem justifiable, half the stuff on massdrop seems to be limited edition. But with so many limited editions, is an unlimited amount limited editions really limited?

Some things it makes sense, like the Asus Mars graphics cards. Balls out halo products that are incredible, makes your company look awesome to potential buyers of lower rung products. Both sides win.

Essentially though, as with most things, it's down to an individuals perceived value. I have a friend who made an iPhone game where you collect cards with different pictures on, that was essentially it, but each design was limited in number and numbered, so people would spend a fortune buying in game currency so they could buy number 37 of the largest one from another player, because they wanted all the 37's. Madness!

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The one colour more boring than black - I salute you, sir!

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I have a Ducky YOTD...

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

"Worth it?"

If it is something like a case that can easily last a decade? Sure, why not.

But something like a CPU waterblock that will be a paperweight a year down the road because Intel changed socket again? No thanks.

14. Mister_Tad

I posit that black is more scientifically boring than white, on account of being 0 colour, vs max colours.

15. Gareth Halfacree

I counter that white is more intrinsically boring, being the colour of unexciting equipment literally termed "white goods."

Rebuttal?

16. Mister_Tad

Your mum's a rebuttal.

Wakka, jb0, adidan and 3 others like this.
  17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think limited edition productions of tech are absolutely pointless. At absolute best it has two years before it's either broken, or obsolete and being shuffled into a cupboard, or ebay for someone who couldn't get one at the time but is still a collector.

I'd prefer tech came in two flavours: Normal gaudy **** or plain. Be it black, white, whatever the company's 'colour' is. I'd, of course, prefer black.

Limited edition cars, for whatever reason, tend to rev my engine and make me want them. I'm looking at you, Lexus LFA, and Ford GT. And all the RS marques I want..

18. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

If you were talking light but you are discussing pigment. White paint (i.e. pigment) is the absences of colour, thus reflecting all visible light. Black pigment is all colours and reflecting no light.

Any ways I have a windowless black box under my desk and white box with a window on my desk. I should point out the window faces a wall so it might as well not be there.

On Topic:
    I won't every buy limited edition, even if they are enhanced performance, unless it is a clear out sale and it is cheaper than the regular item. Manufactures will continue to sell limited edition as long as people snap them up.

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Not sure about a rebuttal but, I'm bored with black everything, white is not black, ergo, white is good. I also have a Filco keyboard with yellow key caps.

20. Gareth Halfacree

I have a Filco with Ducky Cream Cheese 'n' Chive caps, which is terribly exciting - though I'm actually using the IBM Model F in glorious beige at the moment.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
Tags: Add Tags