1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features Video: AMD Radeon VII Unboxing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 4 Feb 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

Corky42 likes this.
  2. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

If it is not going to break the NDA could you check the card height?

3. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Wow they actually gave you an led lit stand to put it on?
    Only ever useful for the *unboxing* before you are allowed to stick it in a machine. Someone in marketing obviously has some budget to burn.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

How does the Nvidia GPU look on the block? Can you remove the Radeon lettering?

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I don't think you CAN put an Nvidia card onto that block.... The RGB circuit (hidden in the GPU chip) has a patented GTX/RTX repulsion unit that chucks Nvidia cards of and on to the floor!

jb0 and The_Crapman like this.
  6. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

This is the first time I've sat through an unboxing video, so you must be doing something right (I felt I learnt a lot from the video too). I also enjoyed the delivery, and it's nice to put a face to a name of someone you've spent time reading. Just really looking forward to the full review now.

Dogbert666 and Arboreal like this.
  7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It would probably develop legs walk to the nearest window and throw itself out.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've actually got a picture of a 2080ti on it but as I was about to post it 2 laser dots, one red and one green appeared on the front of my hoodie so thought best not.

125mm according to a trusty plastic ruler

Last edited: 4 Feb 2019
    edzieba, jb0, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Great stuff. If you could avoid using terms like 'influencers' (shudder) as to not give it any validation, that'd be great. :thumb:

Dogbert666 and Arboreal like this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm calling BS.

There is no way any part of the BT building is that tidy usually.

jb0 and The_Crapman like this.
  11. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

May or may not have already discussed this with Alex...

Cardboard Box Tetris RL is our favourite game; we're pretty good at it now.

jb0 and adidan like this.
  12. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

The greatest game.

I loved the writeup for the video. Haven't had a chance to watch it.

13. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Saw TPU's teardown images last night - that's a meaty vapour chamber cooler!

Still expect it to look awful from a performance-per-watt perspective, but if it genuinely does give some raw grunt competition to the RTX 2080 (and AMD can produce enough of them), it only be a good thing.

14. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

They look nice but that can't disguise the fact that they're nothing more than overclocked, yesterdays GPU technology that AMD would like to drop like a HBM rock, if they could.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I strongly suspect that these will not exist in any significant quantity, given that they're workstation cards that haven't passed muster (MI50s iirc). While it's a quick win for AMD to repurpose these as good gaming cards, I wouldn't have thought there will be tons of these boards/chips available for this purpose, and it doesn't feel like it would be economical for AMD to produce these specifically for VII cards.

I could be talking entirely out of my hoop here, of course, and it would be good if AMD can produce a competitive higher-end card in decent quantities.

16. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Aye - I heard from a few places that AMD are practically selling them at a loss. How much of that is true, I don't know, but I guess selling a competing product at a loss and saving some face is better than just rolling over and letting your arch rival run away with all the headlines?!

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

For this kind of thing, "at a loss" can be misleading. They're, effectively, underperforming workstation cards, which means AMD had two choices: throw 'em in the bin, or sell 'em for whatever they can get. Obviously, throwing 'em in the bin means taking a 100% loss, so getting anything for 'em is a net positive.

MLyons likes this.
  18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Assuming they are selling as WS cards. As we saw with the Vega 10-based Radeon Pros, initial shipments were biased towards the Pros (with Vega 56/64s scarce at launch), but WS card demand dropped off precipitously pretty quickly so plenty of cards ended up as desktop Radeons rather than Pros (which worked out well to feed the Crypto mining demand, albeit AMD - like Nvidia - did not see any of the inflated sale prices trickling back to them).
    ---
    Off topic, but AMDs GPU naming sillyness continues: You can have a Radon Pro with a Vega 20 GPU, but you can also have the Vega 20 Pro GPU which is an unrelated mobile product (on a different process even!).

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Indeed. It might be fairer to say that AMD are not making much, if any, money on these. But of course, each one that they sell will make them $700 (give or take) more than not selling will :)

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

And it also keeps their name out there in the GPU market.

Tags: Add Tags