1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Respawn launches Apex Legends battle royale

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 5 Feb 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

What did everyone request after Titanfall 1: single-player mode and a story campaign.
    What should we dike out from a successor? Let's remove the single-player mode and story campaign! And the Titans while we're at it! And wall-running!

Even at free.99 it doesn't sound worth spending the time to download.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I don't really want to say anything positive about EA....
    But when viewed as a big fat middle finger to Activision and their inclusion of a Battle Royale mode in the latest $60 CoD this is actually a genius move.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Loved Titanfall 2, best singleplayer shooter in the last 5yrs (on PC) IMO, even the multiplayer kept this old fart entertained, something that's not been possible since Battlefield 4.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'm one of the few people on Earth who didn't enjoy Titanfall 2's single-player. And I keep failing to get excited by Battle Royale games. Am I weird?

I think this is merely a stop-gap with a shiny store to keep EA's player base happy (and spending) until Battlefield's BR mode arrives.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The first part is weird, you may have a condition. The second part is perfectly normal if you are over the age of 21.

Having played a bit of this, I actually think this is EA's 'proper' BR game and Battlefield was supposed to be the stopgap. But with Battlefield 5's launch and sales going all to Hell they have pushed the launch of this forwards. On day one it already runs better than BF5 (and on Source Engine it bloody well should), the characters seem reasonably well thought out and aside from the Game Over bug it seems suspiciously free of serious bugs. The lack of wall running and the grappling hook is disappointing.

Unfortunately, the news that this has come at the expense of Titanfall 3 is very sad. EA seemed desperate to kill Titanfall from the moment it was announced, you've got to wonder why they spent $300 million on the studio and the IP if they had no plan for the IP.

7. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

miffed there wont be a titanfall 3, they totaly screwed up releasing it at THAT time they shoulda held off a bit. it had a decent set of maps, and single player was great.

game runs well, is actually not bad either but was expecting to be closer to titan fall 2 wall running etc

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

They announced something "major" in relation to Titanfall within Apex later this year that will provide a "trust" to the BR recipe. Whatever that means.

9. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I wouldn't be so sure, it would appear to be more of a case of this game has made more Titanfall possible. I'd hazard a guess they gave up with Titanfall 3 development because the engine is so old, but didn't want to lose all the work they'd put in so converted it to Apex Legends instead. Now that Apex Legends has proved to be very popular, they're able to work on Titanfall again. Unfortunately being part of a publisher like EA means you have to prove there's a market and keep your name relevant and Titanfall 2 was a while ago.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A bit of possible silver lining: Respawn had previously announced a yet-to-be-unveiled VR title, that was explicitly "not Titanfall". But with Apex also being "not Titanfall, just using the same engine and assets and set in the same universe" the chances of getting a VR Mech Stomping Simulator out of them may have gone up.

11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

First off, I've been on a bit of an EA/Origin boycott for a while (since BF4, last game I bought and played being BF3). I was going to to break it with BF5 with all the good buzz it had, then it all just crumbled, as they tried to sell it to us.

I've watched a fair few videos and had a couple of games and I think this could do well. PUBG has been a great idea, badly executed, and if we are being honest it's still in an early access state. This Apex Legends, seems to be good all round and worth a lot more than the competition and in a much more playable state, I really think this is going to be a hit.

SighMoan and Hex like this.
Tags: Add Tags