1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK gets just 100 Radeon VII cards at launch, claims OCUK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 6 Feb 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Can't say i'm surprised

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Would take everything he says with a veritable mountain of salt. His job is hyping up sales for his company, and what better way to do so than by telling everyone that supply is extremely limited but that he has cards available, but only if you're quick!

Not saying that he is 100% talking pish, and it's long been rumoured that production of VII will be of limited quantities, but I trust him about as far as I could throw him.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, I'm not saying he's not doing that - though "we have 44 cards" seems a bit more of a specific lie than "supplies strictly limited," and one which would be immediately proven false when the listing goes live tomorrow afternoon and doesn't say "44 in stock" - but that's not what a purchasing manager does. A purchasing manager manages purchases, not sales.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I know I've seen import records for mystery *insert name here* GPUs, CPUs, etc, etc so wouldn't something like how many have been imported be recorded an possible to check, that is if someone a) knew how to do that, b) could be A'ed, and c) HMRC weren't incompetent or stuck in a paper based world.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

What a unique and unprecedented situation that totally did not also happen with the Vega launch.
    From Zauba, for India and the US. As far as I am aware there is no analogous public database for HMRC's records.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm not aware of any means of doing live import record lookup in the UK. You could do a FOIA request to HMRC, but it'd likely reject it on the grounds of S(2)43 exemption - commercial interests. And it'd take so long to do so that the cards'd probably be well-stocked by the time you got said rejection anyway...

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Come on, he works for OCUK and has an interest in their success, so quoting a Wikipedia definition of his job title to me is a bit patronising, don't you think? Add in the fact that he's got form for hyping stuff on the OCUK forums and I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that this is marketing as much as anything else, whether the specified quantities are correct or not (and note that he says they will have over half of the UK allocation of c 100 cards, so it's not like 44 is the final number anyway, and they might not release all 44 in a single tranche).

And to reiterate, I'm not saying that he's lying or his numbers are BS, as there's no way of disproving them.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Bah, so much for a magical technological solution. :)

10. Gareth Halfacree

No, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. You said, and I quote, 'his job is hyping up sales for his company;' the Wikipedia definition was to clarify that me saying that's very much not his job isn't just my opinion on the matter.

Is he invested in OCUK's success? Sure. Might he want to hype something up to boost sales even though that's not his job? Absolutely, and I made it clear in my post that I'm in no way saying he's not doing that. Is it his job? No.

Look at it this way: I work for bit-tech*, but do I do things that make it easier for Ads to sell units? No, 'cos it's not my job. I could, just like Gibbo could do things outside of his job to boost hardware sales, but I don't (and, again, I'm not saying Gibbo isn't doing that.) Hell, on more than one occasion I've actively made it harder for Ads to sell units. Just ask @Dogbert666 about late-night phone calls 'cos A. N. Other Big Tech Company didn't like something I wrote.

Apologies for coming across patronisingly; not my intention, and hopefully the above clarifies what I actually meant to say, rather than what I actually did say.

* Actually, I don't: bit-tech, or rather its parent company, is a client of mine; I'm not an employee. That's by-the-by, though.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Updated the article: Gibbo's now said he expects to have at least 76 cards "if all goes well tomorrow" - which is, y'know, still pretty crap.

12. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

Regardless of his job and vested interest in his company’s performance, if there is any truth to the statement, even if they got all 100 cards, he wouldn’t need to be winding the hype machine. He could say nothing and they would sell through that allocation of stock in a day or two, probably far less time.

What is more concerning is that if this is indeed the initial allocation of stock, 100 units is a paltry number for the UK. I’m not sure why you’d bother launching with such scarce availability. Buyers suffer and pay more, but the likes of AMD aren’t the ones to directly benefit as the hiked up prices are often the doing of the sellers. Why not delay the international release by a week or two or three to get some inventory into the channel? Scarcity of this nature is plainly unhelpful.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

In short: as long as they have at least one on sale, the Radeon VIII does what it's intended to do: slots an AMD card in amongst the new RTX series. In most games, their top-of-the-like card (RX Vega 64) is trading blows with the RTX 2060 and consistently trails behind the 2070. Radeon VII needs to bench somewhere in the middle of the pack in reviews, but that's all it really needs to do as a response to the RTX series launch. For actual consumer availability, that can wait for a few months as with the Vega FE series to the RX Vega series.

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

AMD's new marketing technique
    [​IMG]

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

44 cards probably equals the amount of people in the UK interested in such a card :p :D

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

*Wants to drum up some hype for new Radeon VII cards*
    We'll only get 44 cards
    *Barrage of customers calling up to cancel their order since they clearly won't get one*
    I DIDN'T MEAN IT I DIDN'T MEAN IT!

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

on the Pinocchio scale Gibbo is a 16ft piece of dowel with nostrils cut into the end. His job isn't technically hyping up sales but he does do it anyway as success for OCUK is generally success for him (same way I post on the forums, Not part of my job but helps bit-tech). He's the same person that claimed Vega’s hash rate being somewhere between 70 and 100MH/s to drum up hype for the cards.

bawjaws and Corky42 like this.
  18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I was just going to say that. He continually posts winking threads and god knows what else into the Graphics Card area of the forum showing all of the deals. I think he is more than just a buyer he's more like their Swiss army knife of buying and selling.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That'r be yer interposer.

Failure rates on all HBM cards was always very high. Every reviewer who has received a review unit also got a complete die as part of the stand. All HBM cards really weren't very economical. I see the VII release as more of a gesture to make it look like AMD are still current, whilst getting Navi ready. I think had Navi been done? we'd never have seen this card at all. It's been quite a while since Vega 56 and 64 launched and I suppose they didn't want to appear like they were doing nothing for the next 6-9 months (according to Gibbo).

Tags: Add Tags