1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The Brown pension thing was about final salary pensions (something that basically doesn't exist any more).
    This current proposal is about the newish (introduced in the last decade) pension that everyone (the one with default opt in) has at work.

And in "no one is surprised" news: There is now talk of May delaying the new vote on the deal until the end of February...
    Because if at first you lose by over 200 votes just kick the can down the road:wallbash:

Last edited: 6 Feb 2019
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Trying to find some more people to bribe no doubt.

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Well sensible in the short term for sure as they have failed to prepare for leaving the customs union. In the long term, probably a good thing unless you think like Trump.

It's worth reading that more closely. The point is that if someone starts a pension at 18 or 21, then investing in AAA bonds isn't really a great way of getting return. Changing the rules to allow a greater percentage into equities and also into unlisted investments such as venture capital is going to be good for overall returns. As you get closer to retirement age an increasing share of your pension should be in safer securities and ultimately cash as it becomes more important to maintain the established value.

Or you can just rubbish it and make up a scare story ofc.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

For about 5 minutes until America and China throw a hissy fit over the "evil" UK giving the EU preferential treatment... and the chance of wobbly Maybot standing up to kind of pressure rather than selling us out is lower than the chance of getting eaten by a shark on top of Mount Everest at the exact moment you find out you won the lottery.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not sure the people who voted for Trump in the rust belt would agree and I'm not sure our farmers would agree.

6. Risky

Risky Modder

Trump is in favour of high tariffs, against free trade.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Exactly, high tariffs are meant to protect your workforce or an industry, it's why i said scrapping all tariffs probably isn't something steel worker in America and Farmers in the UK would consider to be a good thing.

Archtronics likes this.
  8. Risky

Risky Modder

.....meant to protect particular industries with lobbyists and political connections at the expense of the population at large.

fixed that for you.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I was in a different room today, for my German course, and this was on the wall;

[​IMG]

Tickled me a little.

adidan likes this.
  10. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

What do you work as?

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I see Tusk's comments about a special place in hell for brexit promoters who had no plan has been twisted into the EU hate leave voters. It seems it's been acceptable to manipulate comments into something else just to enrage people.

This most vocal group who shout "snowflake" appear to be by far the most snowflakey.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You can't just opt out of something every other major economy is doing as they would crush the UK like a bug.

And in case you think they are going to treat us as friends rather after brexit rather than seeing it as an opportunity to loot us:

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/27/bre...unity-to-steal-trade-from-uk-wilbur-ross.html

13. RedFlames

And remain-leaning types shout 'bravo, spot on!' whilst totally glossing over the fact he also called Corbyn and the wider remain/pv movement useless [more or less].

14. adidan

Indeed. I agree with him on that too.

The whole thing was again twisted to polarise the leavers/remainers. It's irresponsible but it's easy.

15. RedFlames

Also the bid at the end -

Leo Varadkar - They [the British Press] will give you hell for this

Donald Tusk - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

adidan likes this.
  16. adidan

Aye, he knew what he was saying and how it would go down. So was it wise?:)

Verhofstadt just said that May had said there is no question that the backstop won't be in the withdrawl agreement. So say one thing to Parliament and another to the EU, true to form then.

17. RedFlames

Didn't Verhofstadt and Junker make related quips?

IIRC -

Junker: I'm not as religious as Tusk so I don't believe in hell, except for whatever this is, this is hell.

Verhofstadt: Brexiteers would manage to divide hell. [which I read as 'they'd start an argument in an empty room'].

18. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

To quote a certain news satire site (the likes of whom seem to be able to grasp the preposterousness of political reality than the actual press these days):

"The genius of the Donald Tusk "special place in Hell" insult is that to be offended by it, you have to admit to having no plan for delivering Brexit, despite being full-throated in your support of it. You can't be offended without proving yourself ignorant at best, fraudulent at worst."

adidan likes this.
  19. adidan

Indeed. EU politicians easily showing how inept our own are.

In other news I see Corbyn has written to May, essentially thinking he's played a blinder - look like he's being reasonable, or actually get some sort of customs union and mess with the tories and pushing talk of a referendum out the way.

Not sure how many people he realises he's turning away from Labour. The polls should tell him, a Government found in contempt, a PM whose leadership was challenged and yet Labour still trail the Tories.

So we have a choice of inept or inept. Awesome.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And that's why we have a representative democracy, it supposedly meant to make it easier to keep political decisions and financial ones separate, unfortunately we (as in the system not me and you) seem to have forgotten that.

Perversely we've probably opened our self up to much more of that by deciding to leave, particular industries with lobbyists and political connections will probably have a much easier time subverting a single country or single politician than 27 and thousands.