1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Easiest. Deal. Ever.

(For the other side, that is.)

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

UK: We want to to pretend EU-made parts are British so we can say the car is British
    Korea: ...only if you let us say the Chinese parts in our cars are Korean so we can say the car is Korean.

Japan: You're dead to us. We trusted you....

Nexxo likes this.
  3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

4. Nexxo

Meanwhile the Netherlands go: "So long, and thanks for all the business!" The Dutch do business like the sharks do seafood...

And the US? They are saying the UK better respect the GFA or no FTA for them:

And note that Democrats and Republicans are united on this:

Last edited: 9 Feb 2019
  5. RedFlames

Last edited: 9 Feb 2019
  6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I feel like anyone shocked by the stream of revelations that Brexit might not be a great idea should have their vote struck off. Whether it was for remain or leave. Clearly they didn't do enough research before they ticked the box.

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

3 of the signatories on the Declaration of Independence were Irish, 5 more were 1st generation Irish-American and one was an Ulster Scot. The Declaration itself was printed by John Dunlap, an Irish American, and the news was first reported outside America in the Belfast Newsletter. Irish-American ties run deep, and both see the English as interfering Imperialists.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yet more UK MPs tweet their ignorance. Jeez.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No wonder with the company she keeps:

10. Nexxo

This whole thing takes me back to a research project I did for my Cross-Cultural Psychology minor, which was a comparison of cultural attitudes in international negotiations (yes, really!). It comprised the US, Europe and Japan.

I found that (not surprisingly) the US takes a hard-nosed approach to negotiations: what's in it for us, what is the most we can get while conceding the least possible. Respect is (grudgingly) earned by being tough but rational negotiators who can bring something good to the table.

The Japanese, much to my surprise, take a much more personal approach: what matters is not so much the deal, but who you're dealing with. Generally the Japanese took a dim view of their Western counterparts, who they view as generally not very astute, and a bit dishonest. Respect is earned by consistency in one's position and acting with integrity.

Europeans, taken together, appeared to be similar to the Americans but less aggressive and more aware of the impact of negotiations on the bigger picture of international relationships. Respect is earned by clear communication and respect for the other's position (even if you don't necessarily agree or concede).

The UK thinks that it can leave the EU and just sidle up to the US as bezzie mates from the good old days. Based on my old studies, the US won't respect that; it perceives such attempts as weakness and proof that the UK does not have much to offer. The Japanese consider the UK as utterly dishonest (and frankly, as not a little bit crazy; although Japan understands nationalist pride very well, it also learned a hard lesson from WWII that economic power beats flag waving). The EU? Well, we all know what the EU thinks... The UK is about to learn, as Boyle said above, that it's not the 1800's anymore.

11. Nexxo

Yeah, she then replied that nobody in the UK voted for Verhofstadt. I tweeted back that nobody in the rest of the EU voted for Farage.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

One problem: Guarantee she doesn't read responses to her tweets unless they're sucking up to her.

13. adidan

So she doubled down on stupid then? Figures.

I expect her final tweet will be along the lines of 'Well, your mom'

14. RedFlames

15. Nexxo

It's the Way of Brexit.

16. RedFlames

Survival of the thickest.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'd not considered this, for companies shipping freight to Asia a hard Brexit happens this Thursday.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2019
  18. Nexxo

I think nobody considered it (except to dismiss it as "**** business"), like DEFRA didn't consider requirements for fish exports. There are going to be a lot of such details that are not being considered right now, but will suddenly pop up on Brexit day. No matter how chaotic people think things will be, they will be a lot worse.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2019
  19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What's worse is that it seems Mrs May intends to take 'her deal' vs 'no deal' right down to the wire, as in a week or even days before the 29th, like the internal spat within the Conservative party hasn't caused enough damage to the country already.

Cameron should've just let the Eurosceptics within his party bugger of to UKIP.

20. adidan

Wow my leave voting mum has said if there was a vote now she reckons everyone would vote to stay as she had no idea how complicated it was going to be, nor how it would impact people like her nephew's partner, or my partner for that matter... And she reads the Mail. :eek:

Progress, albeit a bit too late me thinks.