1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 8 Feb 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i have always loved the Ace Combat series and this is no different. Very surprised you didnt mention the score and background chatter

Ace combat games have almost always had amazing scores, and the banter that goes on between the pilots is always a blast to listen to

one thing i feel would make the game better, would be a Co-op Campaign, the allied AI isnt the best, and all too often you find yourself Trying to complete objectives with bandits on your tail and your wingman just stare at them. so you have to constantly pull out of attacking the objectives so you can clear your 6.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The gloriously loopy plot is one of my favourite things about Ace Combat. Yes it's cheesy rubbish, but they've kept a continuity going all the way since 1997! This game even has allusions to Ace Combat 3, which is both the furthest along the plot's timeline and a two decade old game now. The devs clearly love their series.

Did you play any of the co-op missions from Ace Combat Infinity? Going at them with 8 players was fun, but they were also made a lot harder to compensate for the absurd level of dakka 8 human players bring to a mission.

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i didnt, because i didnt have a console after the PS2, so the console exclusives on the PS3 / Xbox 360 i missed out on

but campaign co-op is usually a blast, i can imagine the choas that some of the missions would be with 8 players, like that mission where you assault the enemy fleet / navy yards in the snow ( cant remember the mission name ) with 8 players, with tactical lasers, a10 wartog strikes.... glorious chaos with everyone in voice comm's

5. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

"Dev 1: You know this whole “landing” thing…?"

Combined with the Tomcat in a lot of those screenshots, I'm having PTSD flashbacks to the old Nintendo Top Gun game. Every successful mission ending in death when I couldn't stick the landing on the carrier.

6. veato

veato I should be working

I played Infinity quite a bit and think 7's multiplayer could benefit from some of the same. At the minute it's just dogfights so there's no incentive to use/level multirole or ground attack planes. Contrast with Infinity where some of my favourite planes were ground attack focused like the the Su-25 and F117A. I had loads of fun doing bombing runs and could rack up a fair score too.

7. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

Natural HOTAS support is limited to a single AC7 branded thrustmaster stick and throttle, keyboard or an Xbox360 remote, no mouse and no other HOTAS.
    I had to use x360ce and a bit of head scratching to allow my thrustmaster warthog, MFG crosswind and EDtracker Pro to work, not quite perfect yet, but almost there.
    Feels like some licensing shenanigans are going on with the less than full controller compatibility.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

agreed, but I don't see the reason for everyone insisting on trying to play ace combat with a HOTAS, you might as well be trying to play Mario kart with a Fanatec.

just grab a decent pad, don your aviators and go **** **** up to kenny loggins.

9. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

While completely unnecessary it is possible to get it working with 3rd party tools: https://www.reddit.com/r/acecombat/comments/am3xtw/tflight_hotas_x/

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

How did you envisage playing the trumpet with your nose?

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Poorly.

Tags: Add Tags