1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL The Verge Bashing

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Crapman, 28 Sep 2018.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

My first impression was that this cannot be legitimate, it has to be a joke or hoax. But there was something about it that also said it was serious. Either way my top two comments:
    Can not get more anti static than metal, assuming it is earthed.
    Was any other part of the video more inaccurate than this?

I know I should not have, but I've assembled a computer while enjoying 0% relative humility and siting on synthetic carpet with all the part on the carpet too. Not as staticy as Crapman's situation but a close second.

The_Crapman likes this.
  2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If I'm just pulling a (fully cased e.g. SSD or 2.5" laptop) drive or pulling a card I can grab by the edges or hold entirely by the shroud - i.e. touching nothing internally that isn't a ground plane - I'll do the grab-a-ground-point-before-you-start routine. If there's any chance of touching a trace or component that isn't on the ground plane, the minor inconvenience of the wristband is nothing compared to the major pain of static discharge induced failures.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Achieving a shock of the required 1.21 gigawatts to actually cause any damage on modern electronics would require quagmire levels of gyration. It's not the issue it once was.

4. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I do at work due to the amount of warranty hardware replacements i have to do each day, I do it out of habit to make sure the supplier cant call me out of it and becuase the floor in the workshop is rubber tiles so its also because no other way to ground

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

IMO, in that video they are zapping a running computer, which means it is earthed and the static discharge is more likely to be safely conducted out of the system. When assembling a computer is typically isolated and the static charge dose not have a safe path and has greater potential for damage. I typically don't use a anti-static bracelet, but I do ensure that the case is earthed and I frequently touch bare metal on the case while assembling.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"I'm sure everyone's forgotten by now. let's remove it so we can redo the video without people finding the first one"

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Youtuber Paul's Hardware has avoided the issue until they went for his buddy Kyle's channel (BitWit) as it affects them both due to their joint weekly livestream.

Good video from Paul and worth a watch.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It would have been much better if they'd admitted they fudged it and then had one of the famous videogram people do a proper one for them. This is pure pettiness.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

IanW, MLyons and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Also nice timing with the internet already in an uproar about copyright due to the bs dripping out of the EU.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Soon as I clicked through to that the first thing I saw was their "Waaaah! Please disable your ad blocker!" message.

Nah mate... nah, no thanks. In fact I'll do something I rarely do, I'll crank up the blocking actually - byebye javascript, remote fonts, large media elements, pop ups, and cosmetic filtering (whatever that is). While I'm at it I might as well block all linked domains in Privacy Badger, too. It's amazing how much quicker the page loads now :thumb: (not that I want to read it anyway).

Oh, and the idea of a copyright takedown for something you don't like is such a stupid idea. Like @Gareth Halfacree said - Streisand effect.

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Is it a "mind disabling mate" or a "disable now or we kill a puppy"?

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Kinda half way between both.

Sites get whitelisted when I trust them, not when they nag me.

15. MLyons

so a "mind turning it off but no worries if not" bit of text would be fine if it didn't block content?

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Not being funny but I really don't dig the vibe of these "famous" Youtubers. I mean yeah the video sucked, but taking the pee is a bit off.

I've seen Linus drop a $8000 CPU and break it, as well as his tech guy drop and break a Imac Pro. Steve (hairy) basically get paste everywhere (he's like a kid I once worked with) and manhandle and break things and Jay drilled four holes through a motherboard and then blew up an FX 8 CPU by setting the voltage wrong.

In other words? we all make mistakes. I really don't like how these "famous" people behave either. I've seen Linus drop the "Do you know who I am?" far too many times to remember now. What annoys me is I can not block *them* on Youtube, even if I am not interested in what they have to say at all. I just get spammed with their videos in my welcome screen continually.

I dunno. Making fun of any one (to me) always indicates that you usually consider yourself above doing anything wrong yourself.

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

We all make mistakes like accidentally dropping or breaking something, and we all acknowledge that it was a mistake, and we're an idiot. Linus for instance is perpetually self-deprecating. Maybe it's his shtick, maybe it's sincere... I suspect it's a bit of both.

What the Verge did, and is now continuing to do, is an entirely different ballgame. And it would have been so easy to take it with grace, on the chin, and say "yep, that was sure a dumb thing we did there" and laughed with everyone else, made a follow-up video properly, and spun it into something positive.

cobalt6700 and The_Crapman like this.
  18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah their reaction is equally childish. I'm not saying that they are innocent, far from it. IDK, I guess this is the future now. No wonder old people always look so confused.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, if Linus, or Jay, Paul or Kyle from bitwit dropped a turd that big, they'd handle it completely differently, and I think that's what makes their channels popular - they're willing to poke fun at themselves and defuse things with humour.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems like they've gone after more than just Kyle...

It's ^^ basically ReviewTechUSA explaining how he's got a strike.