1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BioWare denies Anthem PS4 bricking bug

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Mar 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Now I'm no expert when it comes to consoles, but this sounds as if it's a hardware/OS issue rather than something magical that Anthem is doing - the game might be causing the console to overheat and lock-up, but the actual flaw here sounds like it's with the console rather than the game?

Also:
    Sneaky extra word in there somewhere?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Assuming it *is* actually caused by overheating, which hasn't been confirmed - and Chad's post only talks about "temp" which in context could mean "temperature" or "temporary." The fact that BioWare says it has a fix in the works, though, and the fact that it only seems to happen with Anthem *and* at the exact same place in the game for multiple players suggests it's definitely an Anthem problem - though it may be exacerbated by whatever watchdog in the PS4 is supposed to safely shut the thing down when it gets too hot also becoming frozen when the bug is triggered (assuming, again, that it *is* related to temperature, and not just a particularly bad software crash.)
    Aye - I'd originally written "to turn completely off," 'cos I'd misunderstood the symptom, then went back and corrected it - but only got the "off" and not the "turn." I'll go fix, ta!

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If the PS4 struggles to turn back on after power-cycling then that should be 100% the fault of the PS4, not the game that crashed and triggered the power-cycling to to begin with... so I'll go with a hard no on the idea of the game bricking consoles.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't excuse the game for being a boring buggy early access turd, but consoles should be able to cope with a game crashing.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Indeed, assuming that the game is causing overheating - which is why I said "it might be causing the console to overheat and lock-up" :)

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a heat issue though. Anthem creates a 99% GPU load all the time on PC, even on the load screens.

Tags: Add Tags