1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia study links FPS to kill-death ratio

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 8 Mar 2019.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Seems a little convenient the 20 series was left off that scatter graph yet included in all of the other slides. I feel like a more accurate study would have been 60Hz vs 90Hz vs 120Hz vs 144Hz vs 240Hz. As that's realistically what they're checking. As people with a better GPU are more likely to own a better monitor.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2019
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I feel like a more accurate study doesn't try to imply causation through correlation at all.
    Take a sufficiently large test group or varying abilities, set them on a slow system, medium system, fast system and then talk about results. Anything else is just making it up.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And given the extreme influence luck has... who spots the opponent first, does a third player turn up and try to score some cheap shot while you are dueling, how long it takes you to find shield after landing etc a sufficiently large sample size would need to be utterly absurd in size.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't get why something that's been know since the early days of competitive FPS' is still debatable almost a generation later. :confused:

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

so TLDR is, turn off all Antialiasing, set graphics options to minimum and buy the fastest monitor you can afford. Don't bother with a new GPU because you'll be turning off the shineys anyway, they're just a distracion.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2019
    jb0 and MLyons like this.
  6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Where is their methodology? How many participants were in the study? What extraneous variables did they control for and how? I.e. maps used, player experience, other demographics. How reliable and valid is their testing? What is the possibility of bias and conflicted interest in this "research"?

Every part of that little study reeks of bias and general scientific hokum.

jb0 likes this.
  7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Bingo, with the exception that faster GPUs continue to shave off render time even once you hit the FPS cap.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Lies lies lies lies lies. You need the maximum FPSs, so you need a 2080Ti to unlock your full potential. It's the weapon of choice. Just do it......:worried:

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Because games are a lot more complex than in the old days.

In a game with extremely simplistic mechanics like UT99 it may be 92% git gud and 8% technical stuff like framerate, ping etc while in more complex games like Fortnite it may be 98% git gud and 2% technical stuff like framerate, ping etc.

MLyons likes this.
  10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

There are SOOOOOO many unknown variables it might as well have included donkeys playing on a speak and spell.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Because Ngreedia said it, so it must be wrong!

12. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

It might, if that Speak & Spell runs nVidia spyware.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The complexity of the game doesn't change the maths though, the sooner you perceive 'an' event the sooner you can react.

14. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I like how the blue line for the 1070 starts curving DOWN at 35 hours a week.

If gaming is a full-time job, get literally any other card.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

All else being equal and the difference in framerate being big enough to make a statistically significant difference? Sure.

But since steps 1 - 1000 of git gud scrub are "be the attacker with a carefully laid out plan of attack rather than the reacting victim" especially when combined with the extreme prevalence of one shots in Fortnite... you'd need a crazy difference in fps (say 30 vs 144) to reach statistically significant territory.

Also lets not ignore the issue that nvidia used K/D data from BR games like Fortnite and Pubg in the first place, because killing fools isn't even the goal in them (sit around until the fools kill each other and picking your fights carefully to have the balance tilted heavily in your favour is the easiest way to an umbrella / chicken dinner, as a consequence the K/D data isn't actually a valid measure of success in BR games to begin with).

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You don't need to be in statistically significant territory or a carefully laid out plan of attack rather than the reacting victim, yes the former would useful if you were collating statistics and the former useful no matter what, but none of that changes the maths.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No one is trying to change the math.

But common sense makes it obvious that nvidia used massively flawed data to exaggerate a small impact into a big one.

18. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

This study reminds me of studies that monitor companies have funded to show that more monitors increases productivity. That being said, I have three monitors (nothing fancy just happens to be 3) and nvidia graphics in all my computers. I'm really rebelling against these studies.

And I still very much suck at FPS games.

For the record, the monitors aren't new or anything fancy, most were purchased used.
    The graphics cards are not the bees knees either, one is an advanced card, the other is an older card that is also Nvidia.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2019
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have one monitor - well, I have a spare that isn't hooked up as well, an old 1280x1024 thing - and no discrete graphics in any of my systems. Guess there'll be no chicken dinner for me...

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

There we have it, if you have a big, fast sausage, you're going to win...

The_Crapman likes this.
Tags: Add Tags