1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I can't stand the stuff I'm afraid. Last coffee I had made me ill for a while!.
    I was 'forced' to drink a double espresso to celebrate my (late) boss' new beans to cup espresso machine at work, and I don't drink coffee! I had a headache, stomachache and shaking hands for some time after - ruined my afternoon.
    On the other hand, like @liratheal I do am happy to eat coffee cake and coffee ice cream...
    Fascinating treatise on coffee machinery IMHO. Is there an equivalent to expensive audio cables?? :hehe:

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah: Don't pay £5000 for an audio cable :grin:

MLyons likes this.
  3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Unless it's a gold plated toslink cable :lol:

spolsh, Arboreal, legoman and 2 others like this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm happy at my cuisinart espresso machine+lavazza ready ground coffee. I put coffee in the handle thingy, handle thingy in machine, push button, decent cup coffee comes out. It's considerably better than instant, but if you go out and have a PROPER cup, it's appreciably better to warrant paying for it.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

When you say flushed, do you mean running it through with no coffee a couple of times, or proper coffee degreaser cleansing flush type job?

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Like all things, when ignorant one happy lives with mediocrity... I started down the coffee path after I was given an old Bellman Stovetop Steamer and started steaming my own milk.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Two things ruined it for me. I had a Gaggia Classic and a KitchenAid Artisan for around 10 years. This was an upgrade from a very entry level Delonghi and bagged coffee, and a revelation in comparison. I was pretty content with this setup, but occasionally I would get a really good espresso, which was just a tease when most of the time it was merely passable. But it was better espresso than you would find in most high street coffee shops and I never had a good comparison.

One day clever me decided that on a trip to London I would seek out espresso in places that weren't Costa. I had espressos at Noble Espresso (cart at King's Cross), Knock Box and Espresso Room. My eyes were opened to what good espresso was all about. I also discovered I really liked certain light roast coffees. This was problematic because it's much easier to make a passable coffee at home with a dark roast than a light roast - without proper care and equipment the latter is liable to come out as a sour mess.

Mistake two was starting to up my game at home. I replaced the burrs in my KitchenAid grinder for that of a Mazzer Mini - fairly easy mod, and made a huge difference. I also learned how to temperature surf the Gaggia - and was able to more regularly get the more elusive once-in-a-blue-moon good espresso in favour of the merely passable ones. The bug was caught.

Fully cleaned - backflushed with cafiza a few times, shower screen off and clean, then backflush with water, then a sacrificial shot, then it's ready to roll.
    I clear the screen after every shot with a brief flush through, and backflush once with water at the end of every day as well that keeps it cleaner through the week.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Thank god for water. It comes out of the tap and goes in my face-hole.

No boiling, no back-flushing, no burrs. Just a big glass and a handle. Delicious in its simplicity.

Arboreal, The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  9. Mister_Tad

Eugh, tap water! :lol:

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Love water me.

Mind you i'm quite specific about using my mouth face hole, not a fan of snorting it.

11. liratheal

I drank tap water in America, and that tasted like it had grit in it. I'm about 50% sure I can drink out of a puddle.

I mean, typically, so am I. But sometimes I get a little excited and gravity makes fools of us all..

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Going to the US? Get a Brita bottle with filter.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

GRAAAVVITYYY!!!! *shakes fist*

liratheal likes this.
  14. liratheal

Dr. Coin likes this.
  15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I usually make my own now, unless its gold plated toslinks, dem is too much to make, all that gold.

16. Mister_Tad

Anyone serious about audio knows that more expensive materials sound better, conductivity be damned. Rhodium plated platinum for the win. Especially with optical cables.

perplekks45, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The irony is, you're all talking great things about coffee and machines, and i'm the one who's "Part Barista" at work, and frankly, i'm very grateful for my Eversys E4 machine that does everything for me :thumb:

Sam

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's a funny thing, I have a friend who is into coffee and whenever he makes me one I think "man this is nice", and then I go home and drink Asda own brand instant that I don't even stir, and still enjoy it.

The taste isn't as good but the convenience more than covers the gap.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The bottom line with coffee is the caffeine. Even manky coffee has it :D The rest, really, is about how you like it delivered. Me personally my favourite coffee the world over is Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut. Which I am fully aware is artificially flavoured but hot dang it tastes good and with a shot of espresso in it I am wired for hours haha :D

I only really discovered and got into coffee when I was 28. Bloody America :D

20. Mister_Tad

Nothing wrong with a bit of artificially flavoured coffee. Enjoying exquisite coffee and enjoying less-than-exquisite, and frankly even enjoying crappy coffee are not mutually exclusive, or shouldn't be. Too many stuffy types on coffee forums turn their nose up, "oh I can't even bring myself to visit a high street cafe any more, eugh". I may have even been guilty of suggesting as such myself, but it's less that there's no joy to be had in a high street cafe, it's just different. You can't evaluate it through the same lens, just as you can't complain about Burger King because it's not fine dining. It's a different type of enjoyment, but it's all enjoyment.

I ate three meals per day at Costa for a week recently (no, not by choice) and found I'm actually quite partial to a vanilla iced latte.

ElThomsono likes this.