1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Reading news articles about 3D Printing

Read article saying 3d printers might be made illegal because you can 3d print fully automatic assault rifles on ''cheap chinese imported '' desktop 3d printers
    news article shows journalist browsing thingsverse and finding an Ar15 Model also shows a model 40k boltgun and shows the size of the rounds for it ( a gun that doesnt really exist )

claims they will be 'ghost guns' invisible to governments, able to shoot fully automatic and be equipped with bump stock and suppressor for silent shooting

i just dont even know where the stupid starts...

and the sad thing is, politicians might see this utter crap, and just like ''ninja weapons'' and ''zombie knifes'' decide they need to be banned or at least HEAVILY regulated

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Best not let them see the Ar15 lower made from coke cans :worried:

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Somebody should tell the author of the article, suppressors don't silence a gun, they just muffle it a little bit. Reality is not like the films.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends on the gun, and - of course - your definition of "silence" (and that fact that the Welrod was designed to be primarily silenced by pushing the muzzle directly against your unfortunate target before pulling the trigger.) And the silencer, for that matter - which, despite what the "IT'S NOT A SILENCER IT'S A SUPPRESSOR" crowd will screech at you, is what inventor Hiram Percy Maxim - son of Sir Hiram Stevens Maxim, inventor of the Maxim Gun - called it when he first patented the Maxim Silent Firearm in 1908 and again when he patented an improved detachable Silencer for Guns in 1921.

I have a .22 precharged pneumatic air rifle, which under UK law is a firearm, and with its silencer attached it's literally whisper quiet. I mean, it's unlikely you could use it as a tool of assassination - unless you held it by the barrel and swung the stock at someone like a baseball bat, that might work - but it's technically a gun which is made silent through the use of a silencer...

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

The implication of the article appears to be that a "suppressor" will make a gun, which propels it's projectile with an explosion, silent...

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Big enough suppressor/silencer and that's probably true. This strapped to a .22LR should do nicely:

upload_2019-3-12_11-18-26.png

(More seriously, though, I went hunting once with a mate and his .410 Hushpower. With a light load of birdshot, that thing was no louder than my silenced .22 air rifle - absolutely bleedin' nuts. The sort of thing you'd assume was a heavy-set squirrel falling the last few feet out of a tree if you heard it while you were out walking, and you'd never guess it was a shotgun going off.)

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

A silenced .22LR bolt-action firing subsonic is a thing of beauty tbh. Went hunting rabbit with one in Scotland many many years ago. Accept no substitute.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Tbfh, you can make anything silent.

You just have to sacrifice a lot of different things to achieve it. As for the debate that rages over the semantics of a silencer - It makes **** all difference. Silenced and suppress are synonyms. Yes, yes, your run of the mill silencer isn't going to make a gun silent because moving metal parts and explosions, but the reality of it is unless you're the one pulling the trigger, you're probably not going to hear it - And if you do, you're probably not going to immediately think "Oh boy, that was a silenced .45 coming out of a H&K USP .45!"

3D printers are going to come under fire for what they can make, it's inevitable. Will anything meaningful change? Unlikely. I dare say the 3D printing world would be lighting MP's on fire if they tried to ban printers.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Is that humongous cock and balls extention for a tank an American invention?

11. Gareth Halfacree

Never did get around to getting my FAC, and I don't have the time or the cash these days. In another lifetime, maybe!
    German, funnily enough: it's so they can play with a massive howitzer on a firing range without having to replace all the glass in the nearby villages every time they pull the bang-switch. The US has some, too, but that particular one's German. Not really sure why they felt the need to camouflage it, mind you, it's not something they're going to be lugging into the field of operation...

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Funnily enough, that didn't even cross the American's minds when they were testing the Harp Gun in Barbados (although I'm not entirely sure how you'd fit it to something that big that's designed to shoot projectiles at an elevation of 80-something degrees
    [​IMG]

13. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Biggest problem with silencing projectile is the sonic boom from the projectile going supersonic, use subsonic ammo and it'll be a lot quieter but your stopping power will be massively reduced.

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Just fire it from space, no one will hear you fire...

15. TheBlackSwordsMan

16. TheBlackSwordsMan

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Thread prefix and title are the same... this bothers me too much I think

[​IMG]

19. TheBlackSwordsMan

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

cant stop laughing.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.