1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features The 10 Best FPS Games of the Last 10 Years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 15 Mar 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No MW2 or Black ops??? CmonBruh

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I repeat what I said in another thread before: I got bored of Titanfall 2's campaign very quickly. Am I weird?

Best shooter for me is your second place, Doom 2016. The sheer speed and ferocity of the battles, the awesome soundtrack, the easter eggs, and the unbeatable protagonist.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

From what I remember, Bulletstorm failed originally because it used Games for Windows Live, at the height of everyone hating GfWL. Not because of the humour (or lack thereof...). I know a fair few of my internet acquaintances flat out refused to buy it, despite it being pretty much everything they wanted.

I picked it up when they re-released it. I enjoyed it, for what it was... but despite not getting anywhere near to 100% completion, I seriously doubt I'll ever go back to it.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Was about to get all shirty then realised the current year, fair enough then haha

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i disagree about titanfall 2, yes it had very nice and unique level design but had horrible pacing problems and was built on cod style gameplay which is nothing to write home about.

DOOM did FPS right, it felt like a return to form for the genre when it wasn't built around the limitations of a joypad.

perplekks45 likes this.
  7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Haven't played all of them so I'll have to give those a try. However, easily the No. 1 spot for me is Bioshock Infinite and it's excellent DLC. I would happily add Bioshock 2 to my top 10 along with Resistance 3

Meh. It's all just a load of drama without much substance. Best military game for me was Spec Ops: The Line

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I friggin loved Bulletstorm. Proper class game :)

Wolfenstein was the best of the lot there. Shame they messed up the sequel.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I feel the odd one out being roundly disappointed with Doom 2016. Wasn't a fan of the total switch in gamely style from a maze-type free-exploratory shooter to a pretty linear arena-shooter (and the necessity of performing the 'takedowns' to spawn new pickups) with Voice In The Head handholding, or of the switch in music genre. A far closer relative to Doom 3 than to Doom or Doom 2.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

GFWL and Cliff B.don'taskmetospelltherest shitting on PC is what sunk Bulletstorm.

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

What??? no Battlefield?

Seriously?

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Indeed, unless your game was Grand Theft Auto 4, releasing a game with GFWL more or less meant there was no PC release at all, rather like the Windows Stroe exclusives of recent years, which have been so bad even Microsoft has admitted defeat and is releasing stuff on Steam now.

I thought that too, but then I thought about the last ten years of Battlefield.
    Battlefied Heroes is dead, sacrificed upon the alter of EA's free to play economics.
    Battlefield 1943 was small, good fun, but ultimately forgettable.
    Bad Company 2 isn't as good as you remember (I played it a few months ago, it's still fine, but it's only fine).
    Battlefield Play 4 Free is also dead, for the same reasons as Heroes.
    Battlefield 3's multiplayer is stellar, but the single player is super duper average.
    Battlefield 4 took over a year to become good, then it became very good, but the single player is half finished and will remain so forever more.
    Battlefield One is ok.
    Battlefield 5 seems to hate you and doesn't want anyone to have any fun, plus it still doesn't actually have everything the box said it would have.

Of them all BF3 is the one I likely would put on the list (and I'd take off Bulletstorm, because I never liked that game), it still has the best shooting mechanics of any Battlefield game even with it's slightly iffy hit detection. Plus it has the best maps, but there's no escaping that really quite dull Modern Warfare knockoff campaign.

adidan and Fingers66 like this.
  13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I'd second that wholeheartedly.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There was the brilliant BF2, but that is *damn I'm getting old* from 14 years ago.

Lets face it: A lot of the praise for 2016 Doom was simply due to the fact that it was the first shooter that felt fluid in movement and gunplay since the days of old school UT, Quake and co as every other shooter that had come in between was either dumbed down controller dross / awkward 3rd person stuff or going for the "realism / ads / cover" approach.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2019
  15. Vault-Tec

Bad Company 2. My fave BF game ever. Released 2010.

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Whilst it takes a bit of effort to get stable, there are still a good number of BF2 servers kicking about, it's still brilliant.

17. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Why no Duke Nukem Forever?!?!
    (just kidding)
    As I recall, the PS3 version did pretty abysmal too. There were a lot of reviewers that didn't "get" the game, and it hurt it.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye, I sank hooooouuuurrrrs into the MP but the SP I have no real memory of.

Other than some dogs getting alerted about something or other.

19. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

No BL2? I mean, I know it's kinda technically an RPGFPS, but at it's core it's still a first person game that almost literally revolves around guns?

20. Vault-Tec

I would say that's in my top ten for sure. I loved it.

And yeah, I am being serious.

Tags: Add Tags