1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features The 10 Best FPS Games of the Last 10 Years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 15 Mar 2019.

1. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Glad someone else liked it.
    I enjoyed Duke Forever, but probably wouldn't put it on a top ten list.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It never had a chance to live up to people's expectations, but it was fun. Sure, it was immature, but that is what the Duke is all about.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Intro sequence was too long
    Combat felt way too clunky
    Levels where too linear
    The two weapon carry limit was absurd

Plus various issues resulting from the long development time like dated graphics, references that even an old geezer like me recognized as being severely outdated etc

4. perplekks45

You seem to be talking about multiple games at once. This description could fit a number of games from the last decade.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh I would for sure. TBH I doubt there are even 10 FPS that I have enjoyed in the last 10 years. As I said, I loved it. It was stupid, immature and funny. Something you just don't get any more at all. IDK, it just gave me feels that nothing else does any more. Graphics didn't bother me one jot, and the references made me laugh.

Do bear in mind I am very child like in ways, though. I still laugh when I think about the posters in one of the Duke Nukem games where they were ripping on other games. "Brown Eye" had me in tears (taking the piss out of Goldeneye). But there were other things that were just plain awesome. Like shrinking yourself, jumping over the cooker using spatulas to make you fly and etc.

I just had a world of fun and laughter playing it. If I were to play other games? I'd be all serious. There's just no humour in anything now, as every one is too scared of upsetting some one and their game tanking.

Exactly. Metro Exodus is about 90% cut scene. I found that out the other day (because of no cloud saves) where I had to do about 6 hours of the game again due to having to start fresh on my other PC. Don't even get me started on Wolfenstein 2. Again, was just a story with some minor FPS elements in it.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Sorry, was on about DNF that was being talked about in the thread.

7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Duke Forever is definitely on the list for FPSes with the most personality. It was good silly fun.

8. perplekks45

That's what I thought, but I wanted to highlight the fact we have an issue in the fps world. Too many cutscenes, not enough shooting. It's first person shooter, not first person sit-down-and-watch-a-very-mildly-interactive-movie.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

FPSDAWAVMIM.

Yeah, I agree, not as catchy at all.

perplekks45 likes this.
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

*Carefully checks release date of Crysis*

Oh, you clever devils, limiting it to the last decade! And now I feel old...

I enjoyed Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. Can't think of any other FPSs at the moment. Super Hot is amazing.

11. perplekks45

Isn't Mirror's Edge more of an Action game? Like Tomb Raider? *ducks pre-emptively*

12. Vault-Tec

First person platformer. It actually prefers you not using weapons and using takedowns instead.

13. Vault-Tec

OK digging through my Steam list.

Bioshock Infinite (deffo in my top ten)
    Bulletstorm
    Doom (the new one)
    Duke Nukem Forever
    FC5 and New Dawn
    Metro Last Light/Redux (deffo in my top 10)

Those are the only FPS I have played in the last 10 years on Steam. Looking through Origin..

Battlefield Bad Company 2 (deffo top 10)
    BF3 (would be in my top ten if it fits?)
    BF4 (really didn't enjoy this)
    Crysis 3 (again it was so so. Would only make my list if it fits)

You can also add Crysis 2 to that, though again I lost interest in the "Grind, kill about 300 people" scenes.

So barring any brain farts those are what I have been playing. I only count 11, and I would say 3-4 of those bored me crapless and I stopped playing.

Oh, The Wolfenstein game would be in there too. That would again be in my top 10 :)

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Ah, fair enough then. I pay zero attention to FPS games on consoles, since I can't seem to get used to "stick-look/move".

Bitten likes this.
  15. Bitten

Bitten What's a Dremel?

Crysis Warhead; Crysis 2; Crysis 3.

Then distant seconds etc are Battlefield 1,5; Bulletstorm, new Wolfensteins. Maybe Titanfall but I gave up because of the wall jumping. Fun though these are, I'd take DLC for Crysis instead, any day. Sad that 11+ years later there's nothing to even equal that, much less better it, IMHO.

Tags: Add Tags