1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Meanwhile in DUP news:

Basically the DUP has been told that their crooked relationship with the Tories will end when May is ousted, so they have little reason to back her deal.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/why-the-dup-are-worried-about-tory-succession/

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

They call pain au chocolat "croissant" here in the US. Absolute blasphemy.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That assumes a much, much, smaller scale buying/selling scenario than I assure you exists in this particular instance.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Of course the deal has to be worse than membership! It logically follows! It is the obligations of membership that makes its benefits possible. If you start giving those benefits to countries without having to adhere to the obligations, those benefits quickly become impossible to realise.

The best deal for the citizens of the remaining EU-27 is to safeguard their benefits by safeguarding the obligations that make those benefits possible.

That entirely depends on the relative power base. The average greengrocer working on right margins does not actually have the financial resources or power to take a large banana supplier to task --particularly if this is some big conglomerate that has the world market sown up. Conversely the independent banana farmer in South America cannot defend himself against an unreasonable lawsuit by a large supermarket conglomerate.

That's why laws and regulations exist: to protect the weaker party from exploitative practices. Ask any farmer who grows for Tesco; ask any small independent retailer who deals with international suppliers.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2019
  6. Nexxo

Meanwhile, I give you the Will of the People™:

7. Risky

Risky Modder

Seriously are you guys saying that the likes of Tesco needs the EU from being done over by dodgy banana suppliers? This stuff can be dealt with by trade associations and so on. The EU doesn't do the certification for organics, for rain forest friendliness and whatnot. The grading of fruit changes as the market changes. The grading encourages a lot of misshapen food to be wasted and now supermarkets are stocking it due to consumer pressure.

8. liratheal

Tesco doesn't - The poor bloke farming the banana's does. You and I do.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

BZZT. Congratulations, you've proven my point about tabloid lies brainwashing people even when they're convinced they don't. There is nothing, nothing in the EU regs that prevent the sale of misshapen food. The reason supermarkets have traditionally insisted on being supplied with perfectly-shapen food is entirely commercial, to whit that consumers like their bananas, apples, and pears to look picture-perfect. That would be the case even if the EU did not legislate, and that's why although supermarkets have begun to stock misshapes they put them to one side and specially label them - as a means of saying "we know these look like crap, we have better standards than this, but hey, they're cheap."

Guess what makes it easy for said supermarkets to do that: the EU regulations. Amazing, I know.

Even when a supermarket chooses not to stock misshapes, which again is an entirely commercial choice and has nothing to do with the EU, the misshapes aren't wasted at all: they're used as raw ingredients to produce things where the shape doesn't matter, like banana milkshakes, smoothies, banana cream pies, banana bread... Nobody's throwing 'em away. Again, guess what makes it really easy for a company making banana bread to ensure it doesn't waste money buying pristine bananas that it's only going to throw in an industrial shredder anyway: the EU... Ah, you know the drill.

I have to ask... have you ever spoken to anyone in produce procurement? 'cos I have.

Nexxo and Anfield like this.
  10. Nexxo

You are just rehashing the same refuted arguments now. It's almost as if you didn't take in the previous posts... Do you work for government, by any chance? :p

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

When such a long discussion can take place over just the misconception of the selling of bananas no wonder Brexit as a whole as been a fiasco.

Expand this out to other aspects of withdrawl, a recent conversation with my mum had her saying "why doesn't NI just join Ireland?".... Yeah, I wasn't sure whether I could even start talking to her about that as my jaw was weighted to the ground...

12. adidan

Ok, we're in dire straits. The French have more humour than us now, we have nothing left:

French European Minister Nathalie Loiseau has called her cat 'Brexit' - as "he wakes me up every morning miaowing to death because he wants to go out, and then when I open the door he stays in the middle, undecided, and then gives me evil looks when I put him out."

Nexxo likes this.
  13. Nexxo

Yup, and such a really important regulation, too! How oppressed and stifled my life was before! How crushed under the undemocratic yoke of the EU, that I was not free to buy a banana of unclassified shape, grade or quality without such bureaucratic interference (even though I was, but it's all about the feels, you know?)!

Seriously, all the economic and political chaos for the next decade, the £400 million a week spent; the uncertainty for EU families in the UK and UK families in the EU, all totally worth it for my banana freedoms.

adidan likes this.
  14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It is in short also why trade deals are never as comprehensive as what EU membership entails.

Negotiator A:
    "It would be too hard to get an agreement on car insurance"
    Negotiator B:
    "It would be too hard to get an agreement on how much rat faeces can be in oat"
    Result?
    Entire agriculture and insurance sector excluded from Trade deal

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

Exactly - the FDA allow upto 9 rodent "excreta" per kg of wheat. That's just one example from over 100.

I'd like that to have tougher regulatioms thankyouverymuch.

16. Nexxo

Well...

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You know people will still be saying the EU always blinks at the 11th hour right up to 11pm on the 29th, right?

Knowing MPs though they'll probably say they thought they had until midnight. :)

18. Nexxo

True. There is already a narrative forming that after the UK has left on the 29th with no deal, it will be in a stronger negotiating position as an independent country, and following the European elections the EU economy will be in such a poor state it will be more amenable to concede to the UK's demands. :duh:

Monty Python's Black Knight after all his limbs have been chopped off: "I've got you on the run now! Come back, you coward!"

19. liratheal

It's hard to imagine a way in which Maybot and her revolving selection of useless dickheads could have made a bigger mess of this.

bawjaws likes this.
  20. adidan

I guess they could have put a glacé cherry on top.

liratheal likes this.