1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google announces Stadia game streaming platform

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Mar 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

I'm intrigued and hopeful but I feel ultimately I will be disappointed. Assuming they have solved the input lag issues, especially for driving games, I would then be asking at what bitrate these streams are going to operate at. My gut feeling would be adaptive, like our Netflix, Iplayer and other streaminng services but then there is the issue of compression artefacts that are present on all streams on the internet. 4K @ 60FPS is all well and good, but if it is a 3000Kbps stream its going to look shocking.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ahem:
    I'd imagine you'll have the option to run at lower resolutions - not much point sending 4K stuff if you're playing on a four-inch smartphone - and I'm sure there'll be Netflix-style automatic switching of compression settings to get the best out of your available bandwidth, but that's what Google reckons it'll take for 4K gaming on Stadia.

BradShort likes this.
  4. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

So they will be streaming at or around the youtube 4K rate . Gonna have to wait to see it for myself.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'd bet it is Epyc 2.

The low clocks narrow it down to Xeon and Epyc / Epyc 2, not mentioning Intel narrows it down to Epyc / Epyc 2, the absence of specific info narrows it down to some under NDA Epyc 2 model.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No amount of remote-end hardware is going to compensate for every frame having to transit the internet from the server to your ISP, then your ISP's network to your home, then from your home router via your internal network (oh no, crappy WiFi!) to your web browser, only for your mouse input to then have to crawl all the way back up that stack again. Even if they take the Nvidia route and seed servers at the edge of ISP networks, that still has to tackle random latency-inducing crap like damn near every VM customer operating a mandatory lag-spike injector.

Other than the Google branding, it's functionally the same as Geforce Now or Playstation Now, just with a different selection of games available.

Tags: Add Tags