1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

True, there are. There's no changing their minds, but at least with the people that follow them there's a chance of convincing them their prophet is a liar. Not a very good chance, but a chance.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Hell, my mum's changed her mind and she was adamant on leaving but never knew why and now says she was naive.

So that's 1.

liratheal likes this.
  3. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

4. adidan

June rejected, not surprised by the thing we were told before May went on her rant.

So end of May (as in date, but maybe her too), or longer.

Or, scrap A50.

Edit: Petition now up to 837k
    Edit: 1 minute later now 838k. Sorry, my mistake, 839k.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It will IMO play-out like this, if May's deal passes we leave at the end of the extension, if it fails a longer extension will be granted and May will either step down or be pushed out.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The EU may grant a long one to give us time on the naughty step so we can decide what we actually want...

But would parliament and government accept that longer delay?

8. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

9. adidan

I can imagine May's words just before BSODing will be "I wanna really, really, really wanna zigazig ah"

Nexxo, Anfield and Corky42 like this.
  10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This petition now has more votes than UKIP and the DUP combined in the last general election:

upload_2019-3-21_13-33-23.png

upload_2019-3-21_13-33-45.png

12. adidan

In other news, unless action is taken by 2023 nurse shortages will double to 60000 and there'll be a shortage of 7000 GPs.

Here's an idea, why not see if any EU countries have citizens who want to work in the NHS and settle down rather than leave?

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Tried to sign the petition but I'm not getting the confirmation email through to verify :rollingeyes:

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's funny, 2023 is my planned retirement year.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2019
  15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

It is now larger than the SNP... or almost as large as all the parties smaller than the green party, combined.

"planned"

edit: and it has crossed 1 million.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

As much as I'd like them to they won't take any notice. The one started by a brexiters saying the referendum should be re-run if the result was less than 60% based on a turnout less than 75% received something like 4.5m and they ignored that one.

17. adidan

Yeah that went quiet when it was 52/48 in their* favour. *typo edit

Other way around and right now they'd be point out 17.4 million voted one way but a vast majority of the country either voted the other way or didn't vote. TBH some of the people that didn't vote obviously were happy as is and didn't see the point of voting in an advisory referendum.

Re the Revoke A50 petition, it's about 1.1 million now which isn't bad going at all seeing as it's been hit with 502 Bad Gateways off and on.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2019
  18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And if there was a 2nd ref where remain won I'd bet good money on leavers demanding a 3rd ref, on the bright side though it might lead to the UK setting up some proper standards on how to handle referendums in the future.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The vaguery of the referendums rules are just another show of sloppy planning, and a second referendum won't change that.

The morons and racists have already been validated by the first referendum, so a second one would prompt a lot of noise for a third, and then a fourth, and so on. Garage would never **** the **** up from Germany if the second referendum said "let's not, eh?".

Honestly there is nothing to gain from rerunning the referendum without flat out stating the first one was such a **** show it doesn't count. But since MP's say a 2% difference is enough to call this shambles "the will of the people" there's less than a 0% chance of that ever happening.

I maintain that it is way, way, too late to stop the wheel turning at this point. And even if it was stopped, England is going to lose a lot of money and jobs with financial sector businesses in the midst of leaving, Japanese auto manufacturers having been offended by shitty negotiating methods, doubtless EU businesses reconsidering their positions in the UK. Top that with the no doubt huge risk that some asshat would eventually scare a spineless PM into yet another referendum, the UK is now a flight risk. If I was in charge I definitely wouldn't be looking to invest in the UK for at least a decade.

So, I don't think there's any point stopping it. The EU would be further blamed, and with the rampant poverty that will exist one way or another, the loud **** spewers would have some actual numbers to "back up" their lies. If we're not in the EU, the poverty is a little harder to pin on the EU. Or at least a little easier to disprove the EU being at fault.

IMO, let it happen. Tough it out for a few decades. Let the brexiteers die off or come to their senses. Apply to rejoin and jump through those hoops.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

We've already had a Court case that proved that the first one was too corrupt to count, but since it was only advisory to begin with Westminster could trigger Art 50 legally regardless of what happened in the referendum.

In extension news:

May 22 if May WA approved... else? dunno a.k.a. crash out.