1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EU Copyright Directive passes final vote

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 27 Mar 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Votewatch site says about 30 UK MEPs voted it through and some didn't vote, this could have stopped the directive.

So who should we really hold accountable?

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

How drunk must one be to manage that?! Did he/she pass out with the face on the buttons?

adidan likes this.
  4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They [UK MEPs] were never going to stop it, why? because the UK were one of the ones heavily pushing for it.

adidan likes this.
  6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

The thing I love most is that the law allows a list of misvotes to be appended to the official ballot, but not CORRECTION of those votes.

"Look, we know they meant to say yes. Everyone knows they meant to say yes. But they said no because we worded the question oddly, and we're going to take that no and run with it. SUCKERS!"

(One might reasonably suspect the odd wording of the question was intentionally crafted to generate misvotes from the opposition, given the bias of the reported errors.)

7. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Do you want to stay in the EU?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean... yes?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Besides the issue of the UK music industry being among those having lobbied the hardest in favour of this travesty there are also the issues that plenty of UK MEPs voted yes and that the UK government loves f**king the internet over, so EU or no EU, the UK ending up with something moronic like this was sadly inevitable.

10. GMC

GMC Minimodder

May have not made myself clear. I was just trying to observe that the situation and the statement I quoted could equally be applicable to brexit.

A minority of the actual population voted for the shitstorm we are currently in, many (and certainly enough to have swung the vote) through ignorance and without knowing or understanding what they voted for. And our political machine is just pursuing regardless of common sense.

The vote is power; private citizens and politicians alike need to have more respect for that and exercise more care, caution and intelligence when using it. I'll go back to lurking again now.

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I think you missed my point, which was tangental to "voter apathy and idiots ruined everything".

My point was that the EU law explicitly DOES have a provision for documenting changes. It even includes them in the official record of the vote. They just have no meaning, despite being officially recognized and collected under the exact same laws that governed the initial vote.
    I don't understand why you would legally recognize and document erroneous votes but not legally correct them, unless it is explicitly intended as a mechanism to allow representatives to support unpopular laws and then claim they hit the wrong identical beige button.

Tags: Add Tags