1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

At least the further they kick the can down the road before a second referendum, the more older brexiteers literally die off to be replaced with now-eligible-to-vote younger people.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Kicking the can down the road or cancelling it works for me, but I don't think any good will come of either. I firmly believe it's too late to call it off. Without some harsh realities beating people over the head the noise made by probrexit people remain and possibly get louder because it was cancelled. How long before the EU gets fed up with the UK and ejects it? I'm sure there is a means to do that, too.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It is never too late to step back and do the right thing.

Of course the biggest obstacle to this are the egos of the rich muppets in the commons, so we might be buggered anyway. But I live in eternal hope that we remain, then I shall vomit forth invective upon any brexiteer who tries to tell me we've been robbed with enormous glee.

edzieba and adidan like this.
  4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It's never too late for a second referendum, but it's like @Nexxo said a few pages back, a lot of damage is done, you'll just have to pick up the pieces of what's left.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Quite so.

The number of MPs doing U turns, saying the 'deal' is worse than being in the EU - well say that and stick to it. Tell your voters the truth, recommend revocation or another vote.

Spineless the lot of them.

7. liratheal

I'm not convinced it is the right thing, though.

No matter what anyone says, the UK is going to be a risky investment for a good while if it stays, because the pro-brexit people won't have died off in sufficient number to guarantee that this won't happen again. Especially when you have mouthy pricks like Farage shouting this way and that. A huge chunk of what made London so wealthy in the first place has either already left or is very very close to leaving. Which means there's going to be some evacuation from London to less expensive places to live, although with the shutdown of many manufacturing places, there's going to be a lot more people looking for jobs than there are jobs. A lot of people (and I don't count myself among this group) who are able to work and live elsewhere either have plans to leave (EG: Nexxo) or have already left. The NHS is going to suffer, and having spent a reasonable chunk of time with the NHS for various reasons at least half the people who treated me were not English natives, and I have no doubt would be looking to leave. Which, in turn, will only make it easier for asshole MP's to argue that the NHS is inefficient and should be replaced with health insurance a-la the USA. Probably as part of some horrendous deal that sees the US pharmaceutical industry arrive to pick the last remains of flesh off the carcass.

The UK is going to hurt badly whatever happens now - IMO it'd be better to stick with it (although an agreed WA would be hugely preferable) and provide tangible proof as to the benefits of being part, at the very least, of the customs union.

The time to say 'that's stupid and we're not committing economical suicide' was about June 24th to July 1st back in 2016. Now the ride might as well play out.

I dare say that with some less half-witted politicians that, while Brexit is, to me, a profoundly stupid idea it could have been executed with a little more finesse, a little less infighting, and in a much less embarrassing way - But when the person who was meant to lead us into uncharted territory was the winner by default and no one had an ounce of a plan, the boat was pretty much sunk.

Edit: I feel like it's a combination of spineless politicians, and a bunch of old people making decisions about a future they're not going to be in.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2019
  8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Playing it out is not better than remaining. As you and others have said, the damage is done. NHS is in trouble, businesses have left, bright EU individuals have left or will leave. However, if the UK (or more appropriately GB, due to backstop) remains in the EU, there's a chance some people won't leave. The NHS will keep hiring Europeans. Eventually some businesses will return or maybe even new businesses will settle in London as it becomes cheaper to be in than its current state. Remaining in the EU means certain things will be reversible after a (prolonged) amount of time. It certainly won't be in any other situation.

9. liratheal

There absolutely is a heavy dose of 'vindictive prick' in my opinion - I think I've said that before in this thread - So I don't expect anyone to agree with it. In fact, I'd be a little concerned if many did agree with it.

10. RedFlames

Once... twice... three times a loser...

adidan and LennyRhys like this.
  11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Probably been said many times in this thread, but I wish the Tories would stop falling back on "it's the will of the British people to leave the EU."

If this truly was a democratic government, they'd find out what the will of the British people actually is. Sadly, what we have instead is a bunch of self-serving, hypocritical a-holes who will inevitably leave us with a mess that will have repercussions not just for years but for generations.

12. RedFlames

'Boaty McBoatface' was also the will of the British people.

13. RedFlames

Cue all the brexiters angry that we've not brexited on account of all those pesky brexiters voting against brexiting.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2019
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Probably strategic by BoJo and Raab, "oh we voted to leave with the awful 'deal' we hated and said we wouldn't vote for, not our fault" and JRM has always hidden behind the DUP like a coward.

Like I say, spineless.

I am now hopeful.

15. liratheal

Shocker. ***** trumpets. The lot of them.

16. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

So the pantomime continues....expected but not welcome either.

On another note, I think it's a sorry state of affairs when we have the DUP currently being so influential within British politics, through some backhanded deal just to keep the tories in office. This is the party that opposes LGBT rights, many of its members going as far as believing that homosexuality is morally wrong and sinful. They even tried claiming and campaigning that homosexuality is linked to paedophilia. They've vetoed same sex marriages and are pro life nuts too. The conservatives got into bed with cavemen and cavewomen and are now paying the price for that. I'd love to have a one to one with their leader, put a few wrongs to right!! They are knuckle dragging cavemen and women the lot of them!! Saying that though, there are plenty of MP's across the board that would fit that description!!

17. RedFlames

The DUP are bellends, but at least they're largely consistent in their bellendry… Unlike Boris who changes his position from hour to hour based on whatever he thinks will get him closer to No 10.

...also if Maybot hasn't cottoned on by now that the default DUP position is 'NO! Now what's the question?' she never will.

18. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

One thing that really rankled me recently was a statement Andrea Leadsom made, in which she stated that MP's must be respected. That is absolute tripe. They are not special and they gain respect exactly the same way as anyone else does, by chuffing EARNING it. I was brought up to believe that people who you meet or deal with in life should be shown respect based on how hard they work and their character. I wasn't raised to believe that people should automatically be given respect based on salary, position or any other such factor.

If they feel they are not being respected or valued, then they need to take a long hard look in the mirror before going making demands. I hold at least 80% of the MP's I know anything about to absolute and utter contempt!! There are too many politicians who have never experienced what real life is like in the UK for the majority, they often don't care either. There are too many who got a foothold on the ladder due to old school tie connections. There are too many who place party politics before the will of those they are supposed to represent.

TL/DR ...... British politics is fecked!

19. liratheal

MP's should be under threat of being kneecapped if they're found doing a deliberately **** job, and lying to cover it up.

IMO, they should absolutely not be allowed to be from those stupid public schools. They should have been born and schooled in the constituency they intend to represent.

The_Crapman and stuartpb like this.
  20. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

or have lived in their constituency for at least 20 years

liratheal and stuartpb like this.