1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 27" Resolution.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Corky42, 29 Mar 2019.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea my thinking has coalesced around what you say, 24" 1080p, 27" 1440p.

I've changed my mind from my last post favoring 1080p on any size, if I'm going to upgrade i may as well make it worth it and i can always reduce graphics settings or even run a game in a lower (non-native) resolution on a 27" 1440p but i can't increase setting on 24-27" 1080p.

The only problem now is there doesn't seem to be any decent 27" 1440p IPS Freesync panels, they all seem to be made by AUO and the Freesync range is only 48-75Hz. :(

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Just to chip in another 2p: you spend 100% of the time that you're at your PC looking at the monitor (unless you do a lot of typing and can't touch type ;) ), and people typically upgrade their monitors much less frequently than they do their GPU. So I'd be tempted to get a better monitor today and then upgrade GPU later if need be - so I'd go for a 1440p 27" IPS screen (or a 32" if I could stretch to it) and as you say, dial down the graphical bells and whistles if needed to get playable frame rates.

However, I definitely would not buy a 1440p panel and then try to run games at non-native resolutions, because it will look absolutely dreadful.

maxlxyd likes this.
  3. maxlxyd

maxlxyd What's a Dremel?

Agree with this 100%, I just got a new 27" 1440p monitor and loaded a game up in 1080p. I felt sick to say the least.

Corky42 likes this.
  4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, unless you're going to run it at 1280 x 720 (which will look like you're watching Teletext), it'll be blurry and unpleasant.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IDK it was that bad, based on nothing more than watching YouTube videos it didn't seem that bad, would it depend on the quality of the scalar?

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well the 28" 4k Acer I had was fine at lower resolution but only in games. The desktop looked atrocious at lower. Which in the end killed it for me, as some programs I ran refused to scale and I couldn't see what the chuff I was doing.

I'm not sure of your budget Cork, but there are some 32" 1440p around that are IPS. I have a B&O 32" which is now the Omen 32 and it is Freesync and works perfectly with "G-Sync" on my Titan XP.

AOC do a budget 32 that's gone down very well here too. Can't remember the res though.

Either way I wish you luck. Buying a monitor is the most frustrating and time consuming part for a computer I've ever had to buy in 40 years of being into computers. They all lack something and it's always a deal breaker, meaning you will 100% have to compromise.

Corky42 likes this.
  7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Not really, you just can't make 1080 pixels fit into 1440 pixels (for instance) without having some duplication - and it's not entirely uniform. You're going to have to duplicate every 4th pixel, basically, which isn't going to look great (and especially when it comes to text, for example).

Corky42 likes this.
  8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Anything between £400-500 really, the Eizo Foris FS2735 would be my idea of a perfect monitor but a £1k monitor seems a bit of a stretch.
    I'm so glad you said that, i thought it was just my own stupidity that was making things frustrating and time consuming. :)
    It's only something I'd do with a FPS if I'm honest as from experience that where FPS are most noticeable.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I use 3x 27" 1080p monitors sitting 65cm away from the centre one.
    Sitting the same distance away from a 49" 4k monitor, I can't tell the difference in sharpness. Both are very clear.

[​IMG]

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've spent the last fw months deciding on monitors and changing my min several times! I've settled on the MSI 32" 1440p one, although I'm waiting for it to hit a sale before grabbing it. There are some ok monitors at 32" @ 1440p that have just released around £350, the main problem with them is a lack of height adjustment though! Plus there's a big question mark about them working with g-sync, that was my main reason for the MSI as MSI themselves confirmed compatibility.

But thankfully monitor buying is something I only do (hopefully) one a decade! My 24" Dell is still going strong and I got that second hand around 8 years ago!