1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I ran into a kid in the playground when I was 9 and ended up with a pinky that pointed backward. That was bad enough, but the fix was to put a ballpoint pen in the join and *kerack*.

Yeah, that wasn't fun. It was about as much fun as the time I was on the bus holding the rail and the driver braked hard, making my nan's wedding ring catch a loose rivet and proceed to embed itself under the skin on my finger. They had to cut away the skin and then cut the ring into 3 pieces to get it out.

I was always an unlucky sob.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Painters quote to do the house. :waah:

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Dear pain. Please **** off. You've out stayed your welcome and it's time you left. I would like my life back now. Thanks.

adidan and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My knees and right hand would do well to heed that.

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

trying to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu. Windows 10 was working, made tweaks so it would let me shrink the partition. restarted and now I'm at getting windows ready. Tempted to just go full ubuntu at this rate

IanW and adidan like this.
  6. adidan

Thinking about it with my next upgrade, depends on how the Steam Play/Proton thing is coming along.

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Finally got it working. Only issue is that the battery percentage seems stuck at 81% atm. plan to read the thread gareth made about his xps laptop to learn how to optimise it. I've made it use the intel GPU atm as well to save power so We'll see how it goes.

adidan likes this.
  8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Tried Steam Play/Proton last night. Would play some of my games, but not others. Might need tweaks on my end.

MLyons and adidan like this.
  9. adidan

* sniggers more than someone his age should *

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah outside of games daily unix isn't difficult to imagine. One of my two PCs at home is centos and I've never wished it was Windows instead (although I have wished it wasn't centos sometimes!)

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My mum's been running Ubuntu for years now, never has a problem. Compare and contrast with the weekly "Windows has done something strange" calls I used to get...

12. MLyons

I'm mainly using it to code as when I use WSL in windows it has terrible IO which is a right pain when I'm working on some of the super dooper secret stuff that may be coming to bit-tech as it does a ton of IO. automatic virtualenvs in VSCode also don't work.
    My mum would have a fit. although all she uses is chrome, actually no she wouldn't have office. Any tips for running ubuntu on a laptop. I've installed TLP but that's it so far.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

TLP's good, PowerTop will let you monitor how your tweaks are doing - but ignore the top "BAD" reading in the tunables, for the VM dirty writeback time, because TLP actually sets that more aggressively than PowerTop does. (Should probably send a pull request to have it only report BAD if the timeout is lower than recommended, rather than not-exactly-equal-to.) You'll need to let it run a calibration:
    Code:
    $ sudo powertop --calibrate
    A key thing that boosted power savings on my XPS13 was making sure the Intel graphics firmware was properly installed - you can download them from 01.org.

I also had to do a few tweaks to get things like the palm-detection and disable-while-typing working on the touchpad - I threw a palm detection script at GitHub which should work if yours has the same touchpad, while this script toggles between Work Mode (touchpad disabled while typing) and Game Mode (touchpad enabled while typing, without which you can't move and look around at the same time...)

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I broke the win10 updater (script on startup that disables it) but I still get those "it did an update again" calls, I remote on look at the log, nope no update no new KB's. I literally don't understand it, mine updates when its needed an never has a problem.

Oh an the biggest supposed issue is news articles keep moving on the sky website, Shes adamant I need to fix it so they don't. Sure I'll go and freeze world news for you!

15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You can use the touchpad-indicator which is basically like the Synaptics settings for Linux.

16. heh-

heh- curses.

House renovation - the budget had already nearly doubled then the plumber decided to cut through an asbestos clad pipe with an angle grinder. The cleanup will cost 40K EUR and no-one will claim responsibility and insurance doesn't want to know.

adidan likes this.
  17. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

40K for cutting a pipe?!

Or do you mean the entire property now has to be cleared of asbestos??

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think he means €40k for asbestos clearup.

19. heh-

heh- curses.

40k for the clearup - the whole ground floor is now covered in plastic with filtered ventilation fans, an airlock, decontamination shower - it's like a scene from ET.

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I find if you want windows to work, you just dont update it very often.