1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I have run out of Mortal Engines books to read.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Clearly a fake to elicit sympathy, note how it can be easily recreated with a guinea pig:

[​IMG]

MLyons, IanW, Vault-Tec and 2 others like this.
  3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Yeah, not necessarily for good - you may find that it beats your current gig whilst you're looking though.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I showed Alice that picture - she thought it was hilarious!

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's what I thought it was at first glance so I decided to recreate it!

That's Boris, he's so called because of his hair :lol:

adidan likes this.
  6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Hollywood is weird, they white wash all the animes that star Japanese lead characters, then hire an asian guy for the one anime with a caucasian protagonist (specifically German ancestry).

Do you think maybe it's all an elaborate prank?

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Let's not forget about Jet... I'd like to point out that the source of inspiration for this character was the drummer of The Stranglers whose stage name is Jet Black.

[​IMG]

8. liratheal

No, I think it's a business decision. Anime, while popular, is still dragging around the slightly concerning connotations with it. Not to mention it is often very, very, convoluted.

To condense popular anime into a two hour film is challenge enough for them - I expect they want a cast that is either cheap or such big household names that they can put bums in seats regardless of what the film is.

See GiTS. Wildly complex if you look at the whole thing (the films, the two SAC seasons, the condensed forms of that (individual eleven/laughing man/solid state society), arise...), not something that can be easily boiled down to the kind of film that is hugely popular and only two hours long. It didn't surprise me in the least that they whacked whiter than white Scarlett on it. Or the guy with the crazy name from Game of Thrones. I was surprised to see the coach from battle royale playing Aramaki though.

Over all it wasn't a bad action film but it was a bad GiTS film. IMO.

In short: Hollywood is a complex piece of **** and expecting them to know a particular anime series and cast appropriately without some exec saying "can't we put someone cheaper in?" Or "what about <actor>, they made us <money> on their last film" is.. unwise. I think.

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Back pain, right between the shoulders, took Naproxen and its gone from "existing hurts", to "breathing hurts".
    Best bit is its all stress induced, huzzah for work!

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Note: GITS:SAC, and it's associated movies, are not related to the original Mamoru Oshii film or its sequel, Innocence. True they're all part of the same franchise, but the original 1995 film already was a much larger manga universe condensed down to two hours.

Dude, that's Takeshi Kitano (or Beat Takeshi), he's been in all the things :grin:. He's also the Takeshi in the TV show "Takeshi's Castle".

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hopefully the final update on Alice's illness: she woke at 0230 with a terrible stomach-ache, but no fever. Settled down after an hour, woke up ten minutes ago feeling fantastic with no sign of a temperature. Result!

I'm fairly certain Jet Black the Drummer only inspired the name, 'cos last I checked he didn't have a bald head (or that oh-so-pointy beard).

IanW and adidan like this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Awesome news.

What with your little lass and your new build hot temperatures appear to be a theme in the Halfacree household at the moment. :)

Arboreal, MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

You could say it's a case of Ryzen temperatures.

YEEEEEAAAAHHHHHH

IanW, perplekks45, Vault-Tec and 3 others like this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

Get out.

15. liratheal

As much as I like a selection of Japanese things, I'm afraid I'm hardly an authority on any of it! I know I've seen him in other things, but at the moment all I can recall is BR :p I also never watched takeshis castle!

With GiTS I was mostly just making the point that it's not uncommon for anime (and it's related manga) to be beyond the realms of fitting into a two hour western blockbuster without a dose of whitewashing to put bums in seats.

I don't agree with it, mind, I feel like if someone wants to make a big budget movie they should be trying to make something that stands on its own without needing the appeal of familiar faces to paste over the rocky craters of stuff either skipped or cut.

Probably why I'm not a movie production mogul.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Is this your coat?

IanW and perplekks45 like this.
  17. fix-the-spade

This is where I think Hollywood keeps going wrong. It's 23 years now since Dragonball Z and most people my age or younger have grown with it, then Pokemon, Naruto, Bleach etc, the brands are the household names. Plus with all the long running animes being so complicated they're perfect for setting up that running movie franchise everyone but Marvel is desperate to crack. Ghost In The Shell is a perfect example, it's not one movie, it's at least three if you do it right.

In the internet age I don't think putting famous (usually white) actors into famous foreign franchises (FFF?!) cuts it with anyone anymore. All these things have quite large fanbases now. Fans get offended by lazy conversions, then tell their non-fan buddies not to bother since Hollywood butchered it, so they don't. My work colleague went to see GitS and thought it was a complete mess, I loaned her Stand Alone Complex on DVD and she thought it was brilliant. It's not like obscure cult franchises can't make money now either, last year The Black Panther and Aquaman had billion dollar box office runs, imagine saying that in 2008.

I guess Hollywood's golden generation needs to die off before they'll consider doing it properly.

liratheal likes this.
  18. fix-the-spade

Amazing how kids just suddenly feel better, like someone changed the batteries. Good thing too.

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

having to reinstall steam only to realise that uninstalling steam uninstalls all currently installed games.

....****

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

There's an idea, run kids on batteries. Just plug them in over night and no need to feed them...

MLyons likes this.