1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays ~£500 32" monitor advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 20 Mar 2019.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

[QUOTE="Corky42, post: 4636886, member: 126897"

TFT Central have a database of the different panels if you want to go really in-depth, personally I'd avoid anything with an AUO panel in it.[/QUOTE]
    Why, what's wrong with them?

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm only going on what I've been reading but it seems their QC is pretty bad, specifically in regards to IPS panels people say it's a bit of a lottery if you get a panel with unacceptable BLB, and although I've not read as much about VA I've come across people saying AUO VA panels can experience flickering (goes blank for a millisecond at random).

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

No backlight bleed or flickering here.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea, i did wonder if it's the usual amplification thing that happens, how it's mainly people with bad experiences voicing an opinion while those that are happy don't.

Spending £500 on something as big and bulky as a monitor though makes you a little hesitant as if you have to send it back that's a real PITA.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, exactly why I'm taking my time to decide!

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If only that was the case, avoid one brand of panel and you are fine...

But unfortunately shite Quality Control is a badge of honour every monitor panel manufacturer has earned (complete with bells, whistles and an S rank), so you get the backlight lottery no matter who made the IPS panel.

Which is why I always recommend buying monitors from places like amazon who don't put up any fight if you return it.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My finger is itching closer and closer to that buy button! I don't care about that game, but I guess I can resell it for around £40...

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Game goes for 20-25 given you can buy it for 31 or so on key sites.

Spec and price look very keen, especially with that refresh rate.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Do not buy VA Panel, stick with TN or IPS, as the black smearing on grey backgrounds is horrendous.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Asus Strix XG32VQ now down to £467.98 @ Scan (today only page), just to help your indecision. :naughty:

Last edited: 5 Apr 2019
  13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I know, I saw, I'm ignoring it :p

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm aware of this and I'm willing to give it a go :) I'll have 14 days to return it if I'm not happy :)

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

UPDATE: So I pulled the trigger and went for a MSI Optix MAG321CQR, and some things I've noted so far (first few hours of use):
    • True_gamer was right, VA's are horrible for the black smearing! Overdrive and anti motion blur appear to have made it tolerable though!
    • The G-sync compatibility doesn't work. Appears to be a flaw in these monitors, loads of people complaining about it! (its always the way that you find these things after buying it!)
    • I've cursed myself for having a beautiful IPS monitor for so long as the colours on this just aren't as good.
    • There's some weirdness where the very bottom of the task bar, where it places a white line under programs to show they're active, isn't visible from a normal viewing position, but if you lean down you can see it.
    • I really don't understand the point of having lights on the back of the screens!
    • The MSI windows app for the screen settings is a nice touch as I hate OSD!
    Thats about it for now. I'll give another update in a week with how I'm getting on! This has also made me aware of how aging my 3570k is, some of them Ryzen CPU's are looking mighty temping even if they do use a socket that should be cursed to history!!!

Last edited: 17 Apr 2019
    Corky42 likes this.
  16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

When I enabled any level of Overdrive to a VA panel, I was left with lots of ghosting. So I stay well clear of these monitors. They also made my eyes very fatigue after a short a mount of use.

Bloody_Pete likes this.