1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Borderlands 2 review-bombing triggers Steam protections

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 8 Apr 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I don't get the hate over this one tbh. Unlike Metro Borderlands was never advertised or sold on Steam. And it's not like you have to buy a different machine for Epic titles.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

What is wrong with these nerds? Honestly - you're a fan of the series, but upset about timed exclusivity of the sequel, so you leave a purposely negative review on a 6-7 year old game... Why? I would get it if they were review bombing the release on the EGS, that would be an obvious attempt to put buyers off, but the games that have already been out for years on Steam?

Get a life.

EDIT:

It's actually stories like this that even now, with gaming being very much a "mainstream" thing, I still tend to avoid letting people know I'm "a gamer"...

perplekks45, Pliqu3011 and Hex like this.
  4. Neish

Neish What's a Dremel?

Damn, we can clearly see how was Steam our generation launcher/store. No idea for you guys but when I talk with friends, everyone is around 30-40 years old...we all grow up with Steam Store.
    And most of people just don't want to move away from Steam.

In one way can understand because all other launchers/stores are milles behind the Steam. But in other way, yes is stupid but...

I was the same, when Fortnite was released, i was pissed off why not Steam release, even if completely understand financial part of Epic's decision.
    But after few months you realize that Epic launcher just suck. Chat is horrible - lack of pop up message integration with games and we're talking about most popular game in the world as Fortnite is.
    I don't see any good social connection between users, game players etc.
    While on Steam you get whole package, for some "kids" is Steam profile as Facebook and you don't get all this with Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Bethesda etc.
    I cannot say anything against Origin support for example, which is in my opinion way better then Steam support. You will fix problems with both but have feeling that
    Origin is faster with solutions.

5. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Although it’s never something I’d do, I do understand the angst. It’s natural to be annoyed, and people will be people.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My store was a bricks-and-mortar place called The Computer Store. When that closed, it was Electronics Boutique. When that closed, it was Game. I didn't get Steam until Half-Life 2 came out, and even then it was only 'cos my physical copy of the Collector's Edition I'd bought from Game needed it in order to install...

jb0 and adidan like this.
  7. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I wouldn't necessarily say people in their 40s 'grew up' with Steam. We were already in our mid-20s when it launched! ;)

EGS needs a lot of work (I'm amazed the shopping cart isn't seen as an urgent thing) and tbh I still feel that if one of the 3rd party centralized launchers (eg// Playnite) was to utilize APIs to have global achievements lists, its own friendlist, wishlists and maybe even gifting options if that was possible would do really well right now.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And every company with their own launcher would close all connectors for such a unified launcher to dock on to.

I'm happy we have multiple launchers now, to be honest. They will all catch up to Steam feature-wise, sooner or later. And competition ain't the worst thing in the world for prices and level of service on offer. Still, I get the hate/disappointment to a degree. What I don't get is that exclusives on consoles are, by now, almost universally accepted. In a perfect world we would have a single launcher/platform to collect our games on, across PC and all consoles. We don't live in a perfect world, though, so please just let them fight it out. It might be to the benefit of all gamers, at least on PC.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I miss the smell of game manuals.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

What gives you that impression?
    Origin, Uplay and even the Twitch one have been around for an eternity and are no where near offering the user convenience that Steam does.

The Epic one has at least made a commitment to catching up with its silly roadmap...
    Seriously, why is clogging up the store with videos coming before user reviews, a wishlist or shopping cart?

So with Epic there is a chance of them catching up, but all the EA / Ubisoft / Activision / Bethesda etc launchers? There is zero evidence to suggest they will even try.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2019
    Hex likes this.
  11. Neish

Neish What's a Dremel?

I just realized this year how is on my Steam 15 years badg :) I also remember this old days when was running on store to grab some game and sometimes get only German translated game -PITA :) even if is German my language...

Fu?k, i'm old already, i was 25 when Steam was released 15 years ago :)

Would be great to have 3rd party launcher but all this stories around API codes, licences, EU vs US market rules..

Hex likes this.
  12. Neish

Neish What's a Dremel?

Agree they promised a lot but you cannot build such platform and community overnight. Is not just question of money.
    Good is, Steam need to start working a bit more to stay in the line with rival.
    I mean, just more favorable revenue sharing scheme with developers and not to be so greedy.
    And one good Valve game would be also nice.
    I would die for HL3, dying already few years lol

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

14 for me, apparently:

upload_2019-4-8_23-17-20.png

14. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I feel you. Just looking at some of the comments sections for most game pages on Facebook is embarrassing. They make us seem like the most abusive, backwards corner of society.

Hex likes this.
  15. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Mine is... 8?

I do not recall what game purchase forced me to install Steam to download the game I'd just bought in a store. I just know I resented it, and only accepted Steam once it became obvious I couldn't GET computer games in stores anymore.

16. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

A lot of people with Steam accounts have invested massive ... MASSIVE ... MASSIVE ... amounts of time and/or money in building a vast collection of games, achievements, items, etc.

Like coin collectors, stamp collectors, train spotters - we may or may not understand the psychology behind this, and we may or may not appreciate what they have achieved with their time and/or money, but I do sympathise with what must be a devastating blow when suddenly it hits home how pointless it has suddenly become. I’m not saying everybody will feel like that though, I guess some will carry on with the games they get offered.

I’ve got a fair few games, a lot of achievements, a nice bundle of items that I’ve become attached to. I’ve not spent huge amounts on my account. I take advantage of Steam Sales and Humble Bundle’s that can be activated on Steam. I buy the must-have games too. I’ve had moments of madness where I’ve tried to grab all the achievements and then gotten mad when I’m incapable of doing that. I’ve had a little serotonin rush when items drop in Valve games ... briefly ... then carried on killing. I’ve traded items. But I am in no way a skilled collector, a trader, a spotter.

Badges ... I’ve collected the card sets for Steam Sale badges. I’ve taken part in the Hardware badge, Community badge, and other Steam badge related shenanigans. I’ve finished sets of cards for some games I have, because they were so cheap on the Steam Marketplace it was rude not to grab the badge - especially on the really great games I own.

But I am casual. Incredibly casual when compared to the collectors/spotters out there.

It’s all kinda pointless at the moment. I wish that EA and Epic and all the others could see the benefits of working together when it comes to PC gaming rather than watering down the PC community and splitting us up. I can’t count how many times clan mates have said:

“where is [insert any name]? Haven’t seen them in weeks!”

Yeah they’re on some random gaming client that no one ever launches.

I get the financial reasons. I’d be a dork not to understand it. It frustrates me.

17. Gareth Halfacree

I've legit never understood the whole 'badge' thing. I have three badges total, after 14 years, and one of those is apparently only half finished:

upload_2019-4-9_12-58-2.png

Huge list of card-dropping games which are apparently one card away from earning me a badge, but no real explanation of why I'd want to do so - given that the games are specifically designed to stop dropping cards before you can complete the badge, leaving you trying to trade cards or spend Real Actual Money to complete the set.

18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

So have I. But Steam is a shop, and the games are on my computer. I would no more wish to launch Steam every time I want to play games installed on my computer than I would accept having to walk through the doors of Gameplay every time I wanted to play a game purchased from them. So I don't. 'Launchers' are an unecessary hoop that people jump through entirely of their own volition, and the idea of 'store exclusivity' vanishes immediately on ceasing to do so.

Badges, cards, chat, etc, it's all a bunch of guff cluttering up the program that I'd be gladly rid of, and is of even less value than 'store loyalty cards' (which might net you a tiny discount). That sort of stuff should be - at best - from an independent service than the people trying to sell you games.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Apparently I have some.

Not checked really, is there a point to them?

20. Gareth Halfacree

They earn you Experience Points, which makes your Level go up.

Now ask me if there's any point to your Level going up...

edzieba and monty-pup like this.
Tags: Add Tags