1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Ubuntu in Virtualbox running very slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by meandmymouth, 9 Apr 2019.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Tried to run 18.04 in VM's on my work laptop and personal laptop and I'm just getting the same results - very slow responding OS no matter what.

I've got guest additions installed as usual and ran updates. I've even given the machine 4 cores and 8GB ram on my home machine and it's still awful to use.

I've googled around a bit and seems I'm not the only one but I can seem to find any fixes for it.
    Anyone else experienced this?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Do you have 3D acceleration enabled for the guest? 'cos that goes super-wrong with a Linux guest, I've found.

upload_2019-4-9_10-24-4.png

3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That is significantly better.
    Running linux mint 19 with 3D acc. still on and that is seemingly alright.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I think it's heavily dependent on which desktop environment you use - I just turn it off as a matter of course, unless I know I'm going to need it for some reason.

5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I am a fan of VirtualBox, but I must admit I think VMWare's VMPlayer often works better. I still like VirtualBox since it is free and open source, and VM Ware is closed source with a free edition. If anything, I think VM Ware is a "it just works" solution with minimal options for user configuration, which is absolutely great until it doesn't "just work". Simply put, I would try running the virtual machine in WM Ware Player and see if it runs any faster, if it does you can then either keep using VM Ware or try to find the right settings to tweak in VirtualBox.

Also, what are the specs of you laptop? Have you tried running the Ubuntu off of a USB flash drive to get it on bare metal to compare the speed? It might be the case that your laptop, for whatever reason, might always run Ubuntu at that speed.

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Core specs of my laptop at home are:
    i5-8250U
    16GB RAM
    512GB NVMe PM961
    It's no slouch, that's for sure. I might just dual boot or get rid of Windows altogether. I'm sure @Gareth Halfacree can guide me.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Everyone should ditch Windows for Linux!

(Disclaimer: most people should not ditch Windows for Linux.)

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I am willing to support all those who wish to use communist Linux for a capitalist fee.

MLyons likes this.
  9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Manjaro installed on the desktop, should be fun!
    I think I'm going to get a 1TB drive for the laptop and dual boot.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Because when I see a thread about this I think "I must have another go at that" rather than remember what a pain it was last time:

I can confirm that more or less out of the box Ubuntu/Unity runs horribly here too. Mint/Xfce is indeed a lot better, but the best experience I found was with Lubuntu. It also had the simplest instruction to get guest additions working.
    This was with an i5-6400. VirtualBox and VMPlayer seemed to perform similarly.

Unfortunately even Lubuntu couldn't playback 1080 video smoothly in VLC, which is kinda my benchmark for a day to day usable non-gaming system. It wasn't far off though, so any tips to improve video performance would be appreciated.

EDIT: Allowing access to all 4 cores really helped. I guess I'm used to GPU accelerated video.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2019