1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Yeah don't get them in the shops

Mine
    Main pair - £135 Carrera frame with thin lenses
    Sunglasses - £120 Superdry frame Mirrored lens
    Cycling inserts - £35 Holder for inserts £11 Normal Oakley Jaw breakers
    Driving sunglasses - £15 all in

I'd ave paid about £250 just for the main set without going online

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Superdry and Quicksilver? Possibly? Were my champagne taste. Freebie plastic jobbers were my lemonade money haha.

They reckon £65 to put pressie lenses in any sunglasses so I'll poke around later . Deffo need something grippy 'cause riding that fixie bike makes me sweat ollies and they keep slipping down my nose which is really irritating.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Getting real tired of this no IT job BS.
    Real tired of working retail.
    Very tired of the US.
    Things not too dandy with my wife either.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Sorry to hear that (although hardly surprised at anyone being tired of the US, join the rest of the world :D)

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I found the U.S to be a place of all or nothing. You've either got it all, as in mounds of debt, 2.5 jobs, white picket fences and a dental plan or absolutely nothing.

It's not that I even minded paying 450 dollars a month for my health plan (no dental) or the 100 dollar copay to see a doc or the 500 for calling an ambulance or even the 15 dollar copay per prescription. No, it was more the fact that as soon as they found out I had bipolar no one would insure me at all.

An Englishman or any other Alien is not good to be down on his luck, because the U.S govt makes absolutely sure that you get nothing at all for 10 years unless you have it all.

And trust me, that "other side of the tracks" thing is for real. I had some one step out in front of my car and point a gun at me just for making a wrong turn into a poor area.

Far too many British people take the U.K and N.H.S for granted.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  6. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Not exactly ruined but very annoyed.

My work (office based, no public or business facing) went to smart casual dress, about time, but as expected peoples definictions are different so the MD in our office said no sports brands, joggers etc, fair enough.

While ago a lad came in with a plain black t shirt, no collar but looked fine. We was told not allowed, so tshirts were added to the list...ok.

A colleague today is wearing a foo fighters tshirt, I made a jokey comment saying not allowed and the office manager half joking half serious said to shut up.

So as a guy I'm already limited to what I can wear, jeans and a collard top.
    The ladies of the office who already have a wider selection anyway are exempt from any rules in place??

So I will be finding my nicest socially acceptable tshirt this weekend, giving it a good iron and preparing for being told off on Monday

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Well could be worse, ours has a hierarchy of attire, bear in mind only the management are at risk of being seen by a customer and only then if they visit a customer site.

Management - what every they like
    Most others - Smart casual
    IT support - Shirt and tie

Go figure.

8. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Tbh, with some of the people I know, a dress code in IT support is a good thing else they would be wearing inappropriate t-shirts, jesus sandles, hawaii 5-0 shirts, 3/4 length shorts and I would even go as far as to say they would wear an eye patch if given the opportunity... for fashion.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And why would that be a bad thing?

I once had to give a presentation to senior management (COO, CTO, ...) when I was working in 1st and 2nd level IT support. Problem was, my boss didn't tell me until 5 minutes before the meeting I had to attend (the night before he said he'd do the presentation I prepared for him). It was summer, so I wore board shorts, a neon yellow t-shirt and flip flops. The presentation was a success, my solution was implemented, the COO grinned at me and said "I like you and your work, great presentation as well... the colour of your shirt blinds me, though".

adidan, Arboreal and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I like dress codes at work. I think they can go too far, sometimes, but I like having 'work clothes' and 'personal clothes'.

I find, like a school uniform, it provides a tangible difference between working and not.

My last place insisted on shirts and smart shoes and trousers, which was less than ideal when scrabbling around on the floor. I ripped a lot of shirts, and ****ed up a lot of shoes.

Mister_Tad, adidan and Arboreal like this.
  11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I don't mind a strict dress code, as long as there's a dress code allowance. Don't expect me to buy fancy shirts just because you want me to look a certain way. Had a manager that wanted us in shirts and trousers when working in the dungeons when I was a network engineer. No customer ever complained about me wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

liratheal likes this.
  12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I'm effectively self employed; and like you think having a 'uniform' that separates home and work clothes is great.
    My son went to a strict school with smart uniform with blazers and ties to GCSE, and would have had to wear a business suit in the 6th Form. He moved after GCSE and was delighted that the new school was more college like and allowed (with restrictions), personal clothes for 6th formers.
    Interestingly, it's been a double edged sword, as there have been mornings when the 'right' clothes weren't to hand and he admitted a relaxed uniform would be better as it separating things out and took away the stress of choosing the right 'garms'!

liratheal and adidan like this.
  13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I had no idea that Brum and Cassius were related, makes me wonder what Brum would have done to anyone who cut him up in traffic...

The_Crapman likes this.
  15. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Wife has now been home 2 days since surgery for our miscarriage and is physically healing well. Why is this in the ruining thread? Because, psychologically she's a mess, with waves of emotions from relief, anger, guilt being just a few.

As her husband, I feel absolutely useless and i'm just keeping myself busy making sure my wife is okay and wants for nothing.

It sucks ass.

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Stay strong mate, sometimes our job is to just be a pillar to lean on.

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

PC in the meeting room has stopped working
    *gets called in and can't troubleshoot so take it downstairs to the lab to test it
    PC turns on first time and works perfectly
    *takes it back to meeting room
    Doesn't work

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You'll be needing to get rid of the meeting room poltergeist.

IanW and goldstar0011 like this.
  19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Possible fractured rib because I was too lazy to walk round my car into the passenger seat to feed a wire properly and thought lying ov erthe hand brake would be fine, it wasn't

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Did you check the breaker for the meeting room sockets hasn't tripped?
    Or the fuse in the kettle lead?