1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Facebook finds more plain-text passwords

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Apr 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Now i have the image of Facebook employees all sneaking around wearing balaclavas...We be gangsters, see, we wear masks so we don't see dem passwords, see. :D

FYI: is the first sentence meant to read "admitting that rather than 'tens of thousands of Instagram Facebook users' the gaffe affected 'millions of Instagram users."?

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

"finds more plain-text passwords"

FB employee A: "Sorry to bother you but the coffee machine is leaking"
    FB employee B: "You might have confused me for someone else, I work in IT not building maintenance"
    FB employee A: "It isn't leaking water, it is leaking plain-text passwords"
    FB employee B: "Just my luck, first the toilet, now the coffee machine"

Seriously, how the f*** does a company lose track of the processes used to store user passwords so hard that it can "discover" later that millions of passwords where stored in plain-text?

Last edited: 23 Apr 2019
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No: as per the linked original article, the gaffe was claimed to cover Facebook Lite, Facebook, and Instagram users, with the bulk of the millions of passwords concentrated on Facebook Lite and "only" tens of thousands of Instagram users; now it's admitting that it's millions of Instagram users, as well as the original Facebook Lite and Facebook users.

Corky42 likes this.
Tags: Add Tags