1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD Radeon VII mid-range?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trig, 25 Apr 2019.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

So I was happy to read an article a few months ago I believe on the Radeon VII, hitting at RTX 2080 performance levels if I remember correctly for a few bucks less. All things being even (noise, ray tracing, green team having enabled free-sync) the RTX 2080 was still the recommended card at the time I think was the general consensus. But between Ryzen 2 and hopefully maturing drivers, aftermarket coolers and I assummed mid-range Radeon VII-esqe parts being released I thought red team had things going and the GPU market would be ripe with 7nm AMD parts to compete with the RTX 2060 by now...Can someone tell me if anything is on the horizon? Or did I screw up when EVGA had that 2060 for $299 on their site and I let it slip through my fingers?

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There are supposedly new GPUs coming from AMD at some point in 2019, other than the codename (Navi) there is however absolutely zero info beyond vague rumours.

As for the Vega VII, there are zero cards with a custom pcb or custom cooler.
    However some companies (like for example EK) have launched waterblocks.
    AMD has failed to adjust the price to the reality of it being inferior to the 2080.

So overall the GPU market is as follows:

Team Red has the RX570 which is the best bang for buck in the low end market
    Plus depending on circumstances Vega 56 can be an acceptable midrange card thanks to some deep discounting
    Across the rest of the market however: Nvidia is the only option worth considering.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

They can be more than midrange under the right conditions. Very limited conditions at the moment though.

But yeah like @Anfield says Navi is due soon, anywhere from a week to a several months away by the sounds of it.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

summer would be my educated guess

5. adidan

Yeah, I gave myself quite a large open ended timescale there :)

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I know the actual date. Summer is what I would guess without that information.

7. adidan

So it's not summer then :)

8. MLyons

Never said that. Summer is my guess without knowing the information. I never said I'd change the prediction with the information I have ;)

9. adidan

True, but you could be accused of breaking an NDA unconciosuly if you say summer, if you knew it was summer, even if you guessed summer before knowing it was but then still say it is...:confused:

So, yeah, it's not summer. :p

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

TBF, @MLyons never said which summer! :lol:

MLyons and adidan like this.
  11. MLyons

The meteorological convention is to define summer as comprising the months of June, July, and August in the northern hemisphere and the months of December, January, and February in the southern hemisphere. In Chinese astronomy, summer starts on or around May 5th. according to the Irish Calendar, summer begins on 1 May and ends on 1 August. I never said which summer. -Doge lawyer approved

Last edited: 25 Apr 2019
    Arboreal likes this.
  12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Have you thought about a career in politics? :hehe:

John Humphreys: "Yes Mr Lyons, but you're still not answering my question..."

13. MLyons

I did but then I wouldn't be able to play with..
    *red, blue and green vans pull up outside
    interesting hardware... Especially the new AM.. *thud
    *DevDoge has fallen into a Red van.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2019
    The_Crapman, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Yes, keep with the job with the NDA toys, who'd be a politician these days???
    I think some anti van countermeasures are in order...and some Indiana Jones style traps near your desk.
    Otherwise, I can see you strung up in an interrogation room, being attended to by goons in the appropriately coloured jacket, depending which of the RGB Triumvirate you have offended

BTW, I can't believe a reviewer elsewhere has already wrecked a forthcoming next gen Ryzen APU (with added Vega) delidding it, and then went on to say that it was OK, as he had more to play with.

15. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Vega 56 @ £200 is a bargain imo, and probably what I would go for if I wanted a 1440p-capable GPU. There's a couple on OCUK's clearance section right now, and they regularly go for around that on Ebay.

16. MLyons

Did they provide proof? My desktop bollockometer I normally use for reading press releases is going off. It's funny as well as nvidia is the only company I'm missing something from. I use a Intel bag and an AMD hoodie.

17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Why is a VII or a 2080 "mid-tier"? Wouldn't the 1660(and ti) be mid-tier? Or have we all gone bonkers?

adidan likes this.
  18. adidan

I agree, neither a VII nor a 2080 are mid-tier. At all.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Like I say, in a market filled with Bugattis there's a desperate need for a Volvo.

(Well, not really, 'cos the traditional market for entry-level and even lower-mid-range dGPUs has been swallowed up by iGPUs capable of doing 99.99-recurring% of what 99% of the computer-using populace actually want. The dGPU market now exists almost exclusively for gamers (yes, yes, and accelerating professional workloads, but they're not buying products called Ultra Hyper Killer Frag Edition XXXXtreme) and gamers don't want entry-level or mid-tier hardware.

Hell, I spent five years on an APU and it was fine. I only upgraded because my needs outgrew the CPU portion, not the iGPU.)

20. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'd argue something in the £250 - £350 range is mid-tier now, so Vega56 and RTX 2060 currently.
    I think we have also all gone bonkers.

adidan likes this.