1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD Radeon VII mid-range?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trig, 25 Apr 2019.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Pretty much how i'd rank it I think.

But yeah it's getting silly.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I still remember the £120 768mb GTX 460.

*sighs*

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I still remember my £99 4MB 3Dfx Voodoo. Bargain.

Actually, come to think of it, I still own my £99 4MB 3Dfx Voodoo...

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Voodoo 5500 PCI in the bargain bin @ PC World for £99. Was the last GPU I bought in the UK before heading off to the USA.

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

@MLyons The (alleged) delidded APU was on wccftech.com...

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

ahh wccftech. So I've got more chance of walking into a 40 grand pay rise tomorrow than it actually happening.

Dogbert666, edzieba, IanW and 2 others like this.
  7. trig

trig god's little mistake

thanks for the replies all..the title may have been a little off...i meant more like is the mid-range Radeon VII type tech coming...EVGA had RTX 2060 B-stock back on sale for $309.99...thinking of pulling the trigger on that

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No worries, just be somewhat clearer on what I was talking about:
    Radeon VII is the "high end" one last squeeze before retirement variant of the old AMD Vega GPU architecture, the mid tier version of which would be Vega 56.

New AMD cards will be based on the new Navi architecture but as alluded to before, nothing beyond a codename and supposed launch year is public knowledge, plus there is the problem that AMD has such a deficit in GPUs that even in the unlikely event of Navi being a giant improvement over current stuff that would barely be enough to catch up.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

All signs point to no.
    The use of HBM-on-interposer puts a hard price floor on production costs regardless of how cheap you make the actual GPU die. It's just not a good packaging choice except for the high end where you can absorb some of the extra cost as part of the higher margin. Despite AMD's claimed architectural modularity, discrete Fury/Vega/VII dies have remained tied to the HBM memory controller. Vega on APUs has no memory controller at all (going via the CPU's controller on the same die) and 'Vega' in consoles has in reality been earlier gen GCN with some 'backported'* features. The only 'Vega' die not to use an interposer is the Vega M in the Kaby Lake G package, which not only uses EMIB to link to the HBM, but is closer to a modified Polaris (like the console chips) than full Vega.

* Well, sort of. Packed-math for example was implemented first as a modification for Sony for the PS4 Pro and then brought to Vega, rather than the other way around.