1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

My wife wanted one... until I told her the cost.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Yep, it's actually really convincing when it's in "art" mode too. It keeps the backlight in sync with the ambient light level and legitimately looks like a flat image, rather than just a picture of artwork on your TV.

Nor did I. SSAV had the 43" on display and upon seeing it I was immediately sold on the idea, if not the size. This will replace the kitchen TV which is currently 40", but it's a blank wall in a big room will easily accommodate a 55. I hope.

I may get one for the lounge as well. I've always insisted on no TV in there, but this is a really convincing way of hiding it.

Cheaper than art too.... I lingered for a long time in front of an original concept sketch for Disney's Fantasia today that was somewhat in excess of a few TVs.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Now just back the feck right up.

This 55" TV is for the kitchen?!? #livinginafrickinpalace

Wakka and MLyons like this.
  4. Mister_Tad

You've never walked past a shoebox house in a rough part of town and lol'd at a front room that's 94% TV?

5. adidan

A front room, yes. A kitchen, no. :eyebrow::happy:

Edit: To be fair I think some of them must get coucil grants to light the streets where there are no lamps.

Mister_Tad likes this.
  6. Mister_Tad

Yeah but the kitchen is at the back of the house. There's an even bigger one in there.

And they're paying the leccy bill too, it makes perfect sense.

Other latest acquisition, TV kind of stole it's thunder, but...

[​IMG]

https://www.garethhinds.com/wp/iliad/

Ever since a reference to a trojan horse in a film, or book, or something a few months ago, my daughter had been fascinated with the whole story as I've been explaining it to her. This is basically perfect. A bit grown-up at times, but still "historical", rather than overtly gory or adult because graphic novel.

And speaking of daughters and latest purchases. Made the mistake of sitting her next to the conveyor at Yo Sushi for lunch today. Need more of a buffer next time.

adidan likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Still haven't found my Leatherman Juice S2, and I can't bring myself to pay £80 for a replacement (an inferior replacement, at that, as I'm not a fan of the new lambsfoot knife on the redesign). I've been carrying (and still am carrying) a Victorinox Swiss Explorer, but last night found myself in need of pliers - which it doesn't have.

So, compromise:

upload_2019-4-29_9-59-55.png

Schrade Tough Tool. Not exactly Leatherman quality, from what I've read, but half the price and it comes with a great-looking pair of scissors alongside the plier head.

There are two designs, which both appear to be called the Tough Tool: the first has the tool handles twisted 90 degrees and is pretty bulky; this one has fewer tools but a more traditional, slimmer design with pocket clip.

Fingers crossed it doesn't turn out to be flimsy!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I hate it when you misplace something you're truly deep down happy with, then do as you say, go looking for a replacement only to feel like you're screwing yourself over unless you spend loads. At which point that makes you unhappy also, due to how much you loved the original product.

I've misplaced my Gerber a good few times now but thankfully it's always reappeared before I was forced to buy a sub.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The only thing I can think - if we're not going with the "that mouse stole it" theory - is that I somehow knocked it into one of the boxes of bits I was packing up to send back after that mini-PC group test, in which case I can only hope whomever receives it at the other end appreciates what they've won.

10. Vault-Tec

I hate that too. The not knowing, even with full on logic.

Sadly I have a mouse - my ma. She likes to borrow tools and then lob them in her cutlery drawer so I need to be very careful. It's bad enough trying to remember short term things and retracing steps without a mouse thrown into the mix lol.

I'll never forget the time I was looking for the mastic gun for 12 hours. I continually kept searching the places I knew I'd seen it, compulsively. In the end, exhausted, I gave up. It turned up in the loft about 8 months later. Mum's friends came from London and the guy did some work up in the loft and left it there.

Damn mice lol. I made myself ill over that!

11. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

We did something similar with our Passports.

Arrived back from our holiday in September one year and left our cases in the second bedroom as we may have been away over christmas. Christmas passed and decorations were returned to the loft along with our suitcases.

Cue May, we start searching for our passports again due to applying for ESTA (Travel Visa) for a visit to Florida. Needless to say we couldn't find them and had to order replacements. £200 later and we had new ones.

Two weeks before going away in September again, i get the cases out of the loft to find our old passports tucked safely away inside. Seems my Wife decided it would have been a good idea to store them there.

I still pick on her for it.

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

^ I was expecting this story to have been you finding the passports, and quietly shuffling them into the bin to avoid being blamed yourself :lol:

wolfticket likes this.
  13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Lactose free milkshake, OK not ground shaking stuff but for someone whos not had one in a good ten years this is somewhat amazing, to me only

Mr_Mistoffelees and adidan like this.
  14. Vault-Tec

15. Vault-Tec

I lost a pair of sunglasses for two years. I even blamed my ex, with pictures of her snapping them up for her own amusement in my head. They turned up in a bag I'd used for a holiday. Sod's law about a week after I found them I realised I needed a new prescription, doh.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Had the car serviced - £210.

Picked up a replacement for my dead Bose QC25 headphones.

The QC25s are no longer available, even direct from Bose, and the QC35s are £300+ new or £180 refurbed :jawdrop:
    Cheaped out and got some Asda "Blackweb" noise-cancelling bluetooth ones for £40.

17. Gareth Halfacree

This:
    Has done arriven.

First impressions: the scales are a little cheap-looking, and I don't think the paintwork's going to last long at all; the spring-return on the pliers is a little weak, and I can see that being the first part to break; the knife looks super long and pointy, but the cutting edge is ~7.2cm so fits within the law; said pointy knife is worryingly easy to close when open with any slipjoint, if there is one, offering basically zero resistance; this is countered, thankfully, by a healthy-sized finger choil, though it's not comfortably curved like the one on the Juice was; the scissors look ace; the screwdrivers will probably be the second parts to break; and the file is effectively just a flat-blade screwdriver and bottle opener with a funky pattern on it, 'cos there's no way it'll actually file anything.

It'll do the job, I reckon, but it's not a patch on the old Juice. Apart from the huge scissors, they're ace.

18. adidan

[​IMG]

The good lady decided to 'clean' the kettle. So, of course, we subsequently had to buy a new one. And yes, it is RGB but the blue is as far as i'll go seeing as it's nowhere near a monitor. For a quick purchase it's not bad to be honest.

We seem to be just haemorrhaging cash at the moment on things, things that we need though. That bargain hi-fi I got the other day now seems like an extravagance although, to be fair, we had no music making machine of any sort before I picked it up.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I rather like the look of that, although the stand seems pointless - who'd buy one of those if they didn't plan to wall mount it?

I'm just going out to look for a bargain telly - ours is dying. Any action scenes at all and the image smudges and ghosts all over the place to the point where you can't see whats happening.

I won't be coughing up for anything huge mind - 39-40" has been the ideal size for our last couple of TVs and I see no reason to change. Looks like it's 4K or nothing these days though and I don't know enough enough about 4k TVs to tell the difference between good and bad ones.

20. adidan

Same here. Such as which 4k TVs can play 1080p (as most still is) without it looking like a dog's dinner.