1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Quadcopter/Drone/Multirotor Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 4 Mar 2017.

1. creative

creative 500rwhp

I thought about it... lol I checked it out after and it was full of bush so i was glad I didnt try!

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It looks like it's worth the extra TBH. It comes with two additional batteries - which are £70 each on their own - as well as a charging hub to charge all three at once, and an adaptor to let you charge batteries using a power bank. The price of all those separately is close to £200, so it seems worth it to me.

Probably best then!

wyx087 likes this.
  3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Modded that little Santa drone I posted about earlier, now with FPV camera...

[​IMG]

Much fun, although I'm finding it difficult to focus on the FPV via my phone and control the drone. Surprised that it's altitude that's the most difficult thing to control. Invested in Google Cardboard so hopefully strapping the phone to my face will somewhat heighten the immersion and some sense of control! Unfortunately the camera wouldn't work when soldered to the original contacts used by the drones Xmas tunes speaker, so it had to be wired directly to the battery contacts. Works well with bigger 400mAh batteries as well! The only adjustments I made was to remove the plastic surround of the power pins on the PCB. That way as long as you remember which is positive and negative it's easy to attach a variety of batteries. Also bent the pins backwards so the 400mAh battery would fit in the undercarriage leaving just enough space to connect the power to the drone.

wyx087 and Byron C like this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

For those interested, I've put my drone kit up for sale here: RunCam Micro Swift 2, FatShark Dominator v3 goggles (with FatShark Nexwave receiver), and my complete S550-based hexacopter.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Seems I'm always finding new mods for my little Santa drone! Just found out that the firmware can be flashed converting it to acro mode...

I just have to try this out so ordered an ST Link V2...

[​IMG]

and of course some pins to be soldered to the board that'll be the gateway to the firmware update...

[​IMG]

Want to try it sooner rather than later so went with a UK supplier for the goods. Cost just shy of £6 in total. Think this drone will have been modded to an inch of its life by the time I'm finished with it! :grin:

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Looks like the RYZE/DJI Tello is available now on the DJI site.

It's a nifty looking thing and includes a full SDK and Scratch dev tools.

Also, for an 80 gram drone to include VPS, a 720p camera, 13 minutes of flight time, 5MP camera and fecking collision detection, it could be one hell of a fun indoor flier!

Batteries and spare parts are still not fully available for the most part, but for €109 I'm certainly going to pick one up once the extra bits are available.

https://store.dji.com/category/tello

And no, that is not an affiliate link.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah I read a bit about that today and it does look like a fun little thing. Doesn't look like there will be any kind of controller but you can apparently use any bluetooth game console controller, which is pretty handy. Local video recording on the drone would be nice though, not sure it supports that.

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

There is some controller accessory for it that clamps onto your phone, for €89 but there are plenty of supported "xbox"-style controllers that you can get for about €25 - €50.

9. creative

creative 500rwhp

8d flips? :D
    Cant FPV it, especially with that camera angle
    Doesnt mention the fact the motors will wear out and will need replacing etc

Interesting idea but I think I will stick with the whoop..... which I have just bought as it turns out one of the main guys involved in it is one I fly with and had no idea! Hes hooked me up with a modded one so I can see what the fuss is about.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  10. creative

creative 500rwhp

Byron C likes this.
  11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Picked up a Ryze Tello today. Had a gift card lying around that had enough on it to get me one, so why not I say!

Nifty little unit, just been flying around my room testing it out. It's nice and responsive and with very little drift at all.

Hoping that the weather tomorrow is as nice as it was today so I can try it outdoors.

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

13. cowtc

cowtc What's a Dremel?

There's a new app called TelloFPV which totally renews and injects new life into the Tello drone. It isn't free (i just used my play store credit from surveys). You can use any Bluetooth controller that can connect to your phone. The app allows for much better video and camera options as well as configuration settings to make controlling and viewing the drone much less restrictive. There's the setting of home waypoints, so you can get your Tello to go back to certain positions automatically and much more.

Yaka and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  14. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

will have to get that app

15. cowtc

cowtc What's a Dremel?

Here's a video about the new TelloFPV app:

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wait, you pay for the drone but they lock out features until you pay more for an app?

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup.

D'you know what the difference between the IBM 10MB washing-machine external hard drive from back in the day and the 20MB version is? A $25,000 invoice and an engineer visit so he can unscrew the access panel and flip a switch to unlock the already-fitted second disk pack.

David likes this.
  18. cowtc

cowtc What's a Dremel?

Kinda yes kinda no. The original Tello app is ok (and restrictive in terms of allowing to change specific settings), but this new app is developed by a third party and adds so much more functionality. So in theory you're paying the third party person for his skills and innovations I guess

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, I get that - kudos to the 3rd party.

Kinda scores a big black mark for the drone, if the original manufacturer can't produce an app that unlocks the potential of their own product, though.

20. cowtc

cowtc What's a Dremel?

The original Tello app is slick and has a nice interface, I guess maybe too slick and simplified.