1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

One of the Schrade logos has already rubbed off; the other is on its way. I've had it a day.

Spent the last of my birthday money on an interesting-looking book:

upload_2019-5-1_8-41-20.png

The Friendly Orange Glow: The Untold Story of the Rise of Cyberculture by Brian Dear. Would have preferred the hardback, but it's £30 to the paperback's £11.34.

And yes, there's a typo on the cover.

EDIT:
    It arrived, and my copy does *not* have a typo on the cover. Slightly disappointed, to be honest.

Last edited: 1 May 2019
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I guess it's a temporary measure until you get it up there? I honestly don't know why people don't wall mount every TV these days, now that they're sufficiently light that barring very large ones, all it takes is a couple of glorified picture hooks.

I'm on the shop again for the TV, as it was cancelled. I did think that it was suspiciously priced, but it wasn't an obvious misprice and it's end-of-line... got the email to tell me that they're no longer able to order them from the manufacturer though.

And now I feel that if I pay more than the imaginary one that was cancelled, I'm getting a bad deal, so it's making finding another one difficult. And even then I know I'm not really getting a good deal at that price, since under the covers it's a fairly pedestrian 7000 series panel in there.

You're shopping at the right time of year - the 2019 models are hitting the market right about now, which means the 95% as good 2018 models will be getting gradually trimmed in price until they're all gone.

40" is a tricky size - most of the notably good models start at the 55" range. I'm sure there are some fairly decent sets that are smaller, but when it comes to margins and packaging, you don't get the higher-end processors in them for your upscaling, or FALD for HDR performance. Whether or not you need a higher end processor for upscaling at 40" though, I'm not sure.

It's not too difficult to watch 4K these days and I'm watching it probably 90% of the time, but then again I don't watch any broadcast (which is clearly the major gap) - just iTunes, Amazon, Netflix and physical/ripped 4K discs.

When it comes to up-scaling, I've found Sony's X1 extreme to do an "are you sure that's not 4K" job of up-scaling to 75", and similarly Samsung's QLEDs are excellent, but they both start at around 55". On these TVs though, the lack of, or faux-HDR is more likely to be the giveaway of 1080p content than the resolution.

adidan and David like this.
  3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

My TV lives in the corner of the room and sits at a jaunty 45° angle. Sure, I could get an adjustable wall mount and position it accordingly, but it's much easier to just sit it on a TV stand instead.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Samesies. Plus I need something to put the consoles and Sky box on anyway, so the TV might as well go on the same thing. Add into that the fact that for the most comfortable viewing experience any wall-mounted TV would need to be at the same height as it currently is on its stand (I'll never understand people who mount it an inch below the ceiling and have to sit like they're about to blast off in the Space Shuttle) and I might as well spend the money an adjustable wall-mount bracket would cost on booze instead.

5. Mister_Tad

I forgot about corners. I'll allow corners.

jinq-sea likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Pre-ordered a new LTD edition Fanatec rim.
    [​IMG]

Hex, adidan and The_Crapman like this.
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

:jawdrop:

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Holy fandango Si, that a has more buttons than my house.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Probably costs as much as a house too, if I remember Fanatec pricing!

adidan likes this.
  11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

"It is a nice wheel, but I think it needs more buttons".

(Said nobody ever).

bawjaws likes this.
  12. Mister_Tad

Or as much as a bunch of track days :blush:

liratheal and MLyons like this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

€350 on the Fanatec website. Seems a lot but, still less than the cost of a beefy graphics card...

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That is significantly less than I was expecting from Fanatec.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's somewhat my logic behind buying a ps4. I did want one but it was a choice at the time and I chose xb1x. Rightly so, as I wanted it for 4k fo4. However I started saving recently for valve's VR headset, then got the news it was a grand. Screw that.

Bonus is that I can, at long last, play The Last Of Us. I was so jelly when it came out on ps3.

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Picked up this stunning 525i MSport at the weekend!

[​IMG]

17. adidan

Thanks, I feel less bad about the kettle buying now :)

Looks nice. The car that is. Well actually the kettle does too but not as nice.

B1GBUD likes this.
  18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Well if it helps, I treated my kettle to some distilled vinegar for 65p from Sainsbury's™ too :grin:

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The_Crapman, adidan and B1GBUD like this.
  20. adidan

My good lady did that, that's why we had to buy a new one :lol: