1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 2 May 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not enough RGB...

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Why waste LEDs on a non X570 board?:grin:

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Oh god please no...

MLyons likes this.
  5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I don't get it.
    Carbon, it's not exactly good for thermal performance. It's like Porsche launching the new copper model.
    Who wants to own the Porsche copper?
    Right at the start I'm put off by lack of trueness, even if it does perform well and is good value and a couple of carbon slap-ons make no difference.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The whole carbon theme on hardware like this mobo is supposed to make your brain associate it with the speed of motorsport (where carbon is regularly used in making cars).
    in other words: MSI marketing department thinks you'll think that their mainboards are fast if they slap a carbon look on some bits.

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My new motherboard has SMT LEDs underneath a gap in the copper pour to create a fake glowing 'PCB trace' that separates the sound hardware from the rest of the board, because... I dunno, something about sonoluminescence?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Because it apes the look of some high end mobos that pat themselves on the back for separating the audio bits.

10. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

yes, of course I get that part, hence the copper Porshe comparison. But who's that working on? 15yr olds who got lucky on youtube?
    I also try not to underestimate the shallowness or gullibility of the public, but it's a high end computer component, aren't most of MSI's target customers blatently aware of the falseness of the implications?
    I don't want to blow it out of proportion but the carbon gibberish is like spending extra money making a really bad trailer for an alright movie

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Dunno if it actually works on any significant number of people, but mainboard manufacturers have been doing silly marketing stuff for years now (basically they've all gone crazy since Intel and AMD integrated so much into their CPUs that the mobo barely matters any more).
    So I'd posit the theory that they are just desperately flinging marketing silliness at the wall in the hopes that something will stick.

12. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

sure, it will win a handful, but at what cost?
    how many get put off by costly nonsense.
    My instant impression was 'uh, more BS products for teenage boys' no thanks i don't want to be associated with that

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I think we are all probably being a little harsh on this particular m/b for the simple reason that, if they hadn't done something to make what would normally be a shitty piece of plastic look better, it would look even worse.

My thinking is that instead we should taking every m/b manufacturer to task for adding RGB lighting!

(Come to think of it, we should be taking every manufacturer of computer components to task for the omnipresent shite that is RGB on every product everywhere)

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I actually have. Every time they visit the office I ask why they put RGB on a product then INSIST on painting part of it or using coloured metal. Now I'm a fan of RGB but don't compromise to add it and don't add it if you're not giving me full control over the colour anyway. Idiots.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That is one way to look at it.

Personally I go more along the lines of: Still looks better than the Gigabutt Aorus stuff.

Tags: Add Tags