1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ours had to be rebuilt last year - was pricey enough even with the manufacturer bumping up a whack of it.

Thankfully nothing in the MOT this year.

I miss the ageing Mazda estate we had in NZ. It was cheap, never needed anything doing to it and drove us thousands of kms around the south island for a couple of years plus.

The cheapest most battered car i've owned but the one i miss the most. :(

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

On the topic of cars, I recently bought a Grand Picasso C4 with 7 seats, the damn thing reminds me of a spaceship, is absolutely massive, i folded the back seats down and could comfortably lay down straight without my head/feet touching either the front seats or the boot, is mega/absolutely cheap on petrol and insurance.

Where before i was getting barely 18mpg with the Mercedes and paying through my rear with insurance, this bus uses next to nothing and it doesn’t cost me like £20 for a trip to the shops or uni anymore! And i can attach a Kayak to the roof or tow my boat along!

Never thought i’d get such enjoyment out of a French vehicle after my last “Renault Megane” fell apart internally but it’s certainly improved my life for the better!

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What kind of mileage are you getting out of it? I've a seven-seater Zafira Tourer - the car so popular Vauxhall stopped making 'em about six months after I bought it - and I'm lucky to get 35mpg, though that is with the smallest of the turbo petrols and a boot full of kiddie crap.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Picked up the RS from storage.

Aside from some dust, it's pretty much exactly as I left it. Still got a weeping thermostat housing, didn't piddle any other fluids, hasn't sprung any leaks or electrical gremlins, and still makes fun whoosh noises.

Now.. Let the LHD lighting mods begin!

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Working on some snazzy stuff
    Figure_1.png

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Received my RYA Powerboat Instructor certificate in the post today, only 11 months after completing the course...
    I'm now properly qualified to teach powerboating having already taught a course in March with a mentor on board.
    So relived it's arrived as I am booked to teach in 2 weeks...
    It's been a huge PITA to sort, as I was given an action plan to complete before qualifying. This took longer than hoped, and the trainers were abjectly fussy who I did the assessed / guided teaching with, so I missed completing it in the autumn. It took til March to agree the 4 additional days.
    It's now done and so long as I log teaching annually, I am qualified til 2023 when I'll be reviewed. In the meantime, I hope to be teaching at least a couple of centres to build my courses logged.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. liratheal

Confirmation the engine block in the RS is the same as the 2.0.

Which means all sorts of possibilities regarding engine builds.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Furmark and prime ran for 10 hours on the new pc overnight and all seems well. Max temps were maxing out at 60 and 70. Now to put It into the POS chinesium case

9. liratheal

I am mildly disappointed that this isn't a real brand.

adidan likes this.
  10. MLyons

11. liratheal

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's the type of Chinesium that would cost two grand if it were by Lian Li or Inwin.

Goatee likes this.
  13. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Garden should be finished by the end of the day, just got to hit Homebase for 6 more bags of chippings and one more bag of sharp sand to level the last 8 slabs and do the remaining clear up.

Fortnight of evenings spend doing it between work and childcare I’ll be glad to get my time back and be sat out there relaxing rather than working!

IanW, Arboreal and adidan like this.
  14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Continued from here: https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.p...-life-right-now.177179/page-1288#post-4649735

(tldr - lost DSM on my main NAS after giving it a whack, prompted with "Welcome to your new NAS, click next to install DSM" upon restart)

So I reinstalled DSM, after a couple of reboots to set static IP address again, update to latest version of DSM and a couple of config things, all my data is still there!

Only thing I lost was the shared folder sync tasks/jobs which I am setting up again now.

Gawd I love the fact that I went Synology for my NAS.

Arboreal, adidan and IanW like this.
  15. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I haven't dipped my toes into NASes yet but I love my Synology router, the thing has never had to be restarted due to a lockup or wifi issues or whatever.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

There are a lot of companies that make NAS (NAS's, NASii?). There is only one company that makes an awesome NAS O/S. DSM rocks!

17. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Bathroom leak is fixed, awesomely cheap, minimal damage to bathroom.

Now just to start to repair the living room hole but the stress of the unknown leak has gone.......and breathe

Arboreal and adidan like this.
  18. liratheal

I seem to have stumbled through A2 German with a passing grade and still no idea what's happening in this explosion of words masquerading as a language.

Arboreal and goldstar0011 like this.
  19. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

6 months into new phone contract means I've hit the cashback period - now, every 3 months, i'll be getting £96 back, effectively meaning I am getting unlimited texts, calls and 100GB data for £4 a month (oh, and the S9 was free upfront too).

I've had some good phone deals before, but this one was a real chicken dinner of a winner.

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Who is that with?