1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's going to sound stupid but if you don't ask and all that...but what exactly am i looking at?

I can workout it's to do with someone's visa applications but who's UKVI and what's wrong with them saying they don't agree that there's little risk of fluctuations in business markets?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

UKVI = UK Visas and Immigration [so essentially, the Home Office].

the way I and most people are reading it is - they rejected the T1 Visa application because the applicant's business plan isn't sound. And the reason it isn't sound is because they described the UK as a stable place to do business...

...UKVI [so a branch of the UK Govt] are basically saying because of Brexit, Britain is not a stable place to do business.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Ah OK, i thought UKVI was another of those companies they outsourced things too.

That it's the UK Visas and Immigration makes it all the more unbelievable, it's one of those things that makes you do a double take as it just seems so unbelievable that your brain has trouble processing it, it scrabbles around looking for more plausible sounding reasons. :)

Turns out there ain't none as it is exactly as it appears.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No surprise that the Home Office screws up like that...
    They also believe that international treaties don't apply to them:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...nship-northern-ireland--good-friday-agreement

adidan likes this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

An incompatibility between Home Office policies and 'commitments' to the GFA? She means that legally binding International Treaty that has the EU and the US as guarantors?

Way to downplay significance on her part.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

adidan and RedFlames like this.
  7. adidan

Quite a few remain parties on the EU election list.

ChangeUK. A one issue party at the moment.
    The Greens. Well, in Europe the Greens a more of a force than they usually have been in the UK but they always come across as a bit wooly.
    I'm not sure I can yet forgive the LibDems for being the Tory enablers of austerity when in coalition. They effectively helped create the ground on which Brexit could grow.

Hm.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

This is why I hate the current state of party politics, vote for the candidate/party as they are now, not what the party did in the past.

People will vote Labour or Conservative for life based in the ideals of 30 years ago. Vote based on their current actions/manifesto.

I’m seriosly considering the Lib Dems on any upcoming election.

9. RedFlames

Exactly this. People voting for a party because 'that's what we've always done' leads to bollocks like '80% of people voted for leave parties' and the *********** that is/was Labour's stance on Trident. It's also how you end up with Labour MPs like Kate Hoey.

Read the fecking manifesto/reasearch the candidate, if you agree with it/them, vote for them... if you don't... don't...

EDIT:

Never voting LibDem again because you disliked what the coalition did would be like never voting Labour again because of the Afghan/Iraq mess or never voting Tory again because you disagreed with the Masstricht treaty.

edzieba likes this.
  10. adidan

I'm usually of the same mind but we are still suffering austerity and Brexit, what they helped do in the past is affecting our current state of affairs.

You have to look to the past, I mean Tories always say they'll behave one way or another and yet they continually behave the same way.

Edit: But yes, these are the EU elections not a GE

Not really. What the coalition did is still affecting us, it's the only reason i'm considering it. But, like I say, these are EU elections and so I guess I should just judge on their EU manifesto. (Edit: Edit: And I did say 'yet', not never. Just sayin')

But Labour are a definite no. They are so spineless with regards to the referendum question. I mean after the local elections one Labour member blamed the lack of a strong stance as why they did badly and yet another Labour member blambed them wanting another referendum for their poor performance. Just make up your bloody minds.

Last edited: 8 May 2019
  11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Most Labour and Tory candidates should be automatically disqualified from consideration in the EU election any way due to having revealed themselves as ignorant corrupt authoritarian scumbags when they voted for Article 13...

12. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

The image of Clegg and Alexander back slapped and whooped in delight after Osborne announcing the loss of 400,000 public sector jobs stay with me for a very long time. Lib Dem can do one.

Last edited: 8 May 2019
  13. RedFlames

adidan likes this.
  14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

15. adidan

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I've not looked into it but someone on TV said the Greens supported holding the referendum whereas the LibDems have been against the idea from the get-go, I've got nothing against the Greens BTW it's just if true then that places the Greens a little bit more towards leaving than the Dems.

17. Nexxo

Checking the Greens and Lib Dems manifestos, it looks like both the Greens and Lib Dems support another referendum as a way to cancel Brexit. Probably because there has to be a perceived legitimacy in doing so in the electorate's eyes.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I was talking about their support of the first one.

Maybe i have it wrong as like i said it was what i heard someone say on TV but, from what i understand, the Conservatives said we should hold an in-out referendum and Labour, The Greens, UKIP, etc, etc, all said what a spiffing idea, let do that.

Whereas the LibDems said it was a dumb idea from the outset and have stuck to that line.

19. adidan

Interestingly Farron backed a second referendum and final say, way back in 2016, and yet Cable said “We should never have had the referendum in the first place, but the public have voted, and I do think it’s seriously disrespectful and politically utterly counterproductive to say ‘sorry guys, you got it wrong, let’s try again’" (from The Guardian)

Seems everyone has been changing their tune, but then it has been a right royal frak up so I guess you have to work with the situation as it is.

But, yeah, as @Nexxo says the LibDem policy on their site is:
    I guess they've been consistent in thinking it was a dumb idea, which it was in a Parliamentary Democracy.

Corky42 likes this.
  20. Nexxo

A quick Google-fu reveals that only the SNP voted against. The rest were all stupid ****wits as usual.

Corky42 likes this.