1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Definitely have to say something, seems pretty out of line to me.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

@DeadP1xels : do you know what I'd do? I'd speak to my partner and ask why she hasn't invited your parents, tell her that you'd like them to come because they've helped you guys out (and let her know what they've done just in case she's not aware), then invite them unless your partner has an amazingly good reason not to.

Basically, I'd communicate with your partner rather than stewing away to yourself. Honestly, so much relationship nonsense is down to lack of communication. Just. Talk. To. Her.

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I think its more the principle, she hasn't even recognised it. I wouldn't mind if she said something like 'Oh can we just do my family' or.. 'can we do it twice to split it up a bit?' its like she expects them to bend over backwards and that's just what happens.

I've told her I'm inviting them next weekend, I've opted to not add the finishing touches to the garden either until then. Not to be passive aggressive (honest guv) but simply because as an ex builder/garden fanatic her grandad will only pick on something not being quite right and I don't want to rush at it when I know that's coming regardless. At least in its unfinished state I have the excuse that's its not quite finished

goldstar0011 likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

@DeadP1xels just point out when you mention inviting your folks to lay it on thick about how much your dad helped out and that it'll make him feel good getting a bbq thankyou in the place he helped so much to create.

The guilt strings may come to life then.

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Oh god, sounds like my other half's dad... except he is a trumpet player with NO knowledge or experience - doesn't stop him trying to instruct me (ex self-employed dry liner and ceiling fitter) how to build IKEA furniture...

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Went downstairs for lunch, front door's not working. Multi-point mechanism has jammed, which is exactly what happened about eight years ago and necessitated a new front door. Now, normally, your front door being stuck in the locked position would be an annoyance; I live in a back-to-back terrace. My front door is my only external door.

Tried my best to free it with hinge adjustment, brute force, and - finally - a crowbar. No dice. Got a UPVC fitter coming at some point, who reckons that the fact he can only get to the *outside* of the door until the multi-point mechanism is freed is not going to be a problem. Which... how the chuff's that going to work? He can't adjust the hinges. He can't even remove the door handle. What the heck is he going to do from the outside? Last time it happened the two guys spent an hour and a half breaking it down with sledges and we needed a new door and frame.

Lovely.

Oh, and did I mention that three-quarters of the family is on this side of the door, while the final seven-year-old quarter is currently at school?

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

No downstairs window? Serious question.

Edit: And I mean not all of you leave, somebody stays so you can get back in!

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not that opens to admit a person: it's a double-glazed thing with a small opening part at the top. Perhaps one who enjoys pies a little less than I could squeeze through, but there'd be a bit of a drop at the other side.

We've sorted the kid - she's going to a friend's house for tea - so fingers crossed the Magic UPVC Man can indeed fix a locked door from the outside.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Another serious question: how would you all get out of the house in the event of a fire blocking the front door? Not specifically today, but in general.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Same as anybody else in a back-to-back terrace: hope you can smash a window and get out that way. If not, hope the fire brigade arrive in time. If not... die, I guess.

That said, there are smoke alarms - regularly checked - on every floor, the walls are solid sandstone brick so aren't exactly flammable, there's a 1kg BC dry powder fire extinguisher on every floor, and I've got a set of disposable heatproof filter hoods that claim to offer 15 minutes of breathable air in smoke-ridden scenarios. Oh, and there's a fire blanket in the kitchen, obviously.

EDIT: Oh, and the window in the dormer opens fully, but I don't fancy my chances of shuffling sideways on the roof trying to juggle a seven year old and a three year old in order to reach the nearest neighbour with a Velux or similar. 's a bit steep for those kind of games.

Thought about one of those emergency rope ladder things, but I'm not sure the dormer window would hold my weight without just popping out with half the wall still attached...

Last edited: 8 May 2019
  11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good to hear you have the extinguishers, not many do. CO2 in your office for electrical fires?
    I'm sorting extinguishers at work as my tenants either have none or out of date ones...insurance co inspection showed it all up.

Sandstone walls aren't the worry...I had a steel framed profile steel clad building burn down last year, (hence the inspection...), it's what's inside burning is the problem. Hoods sound a good move, more people die from smoke than fire from what I've read.

GLW the door, what a 'mare

12. Gareth Halfacree

Nah, the BC's fine for those - just really, really messy.

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

https://www.hss.com/hire/c/powered-access/telehandlers

I mean, it works for cash machines...

You can use CO2 on electrical fires fine, less mess than AAAF or powder I have a Halon one lurking in the garage, I should really give that to the fire service to dispose of properly. Still it's likely more effective than the CO2

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I've heard that an automatic centre punch will take care of a double-glazed window in short order.
    Surprised you didn't set your youngling to ramming speed. The door might just need a whack from outside.

15. Gareth Halfacree

The car keys have one of these on it, which has a spring-loaded glass breaker and seatbelt cutter on it. Never tried it in anger, though - in retrospect, after the Meriva died and was being collected by the scrappy I should have popped a couple of windows to test it out!

16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This is like bit-tech's version of Stephen Fry live tweeting being stuck in a lift. Any updates?

17. Gareth Halfacree

Nup. Back at work, eldest's off at a friend's house having tea, and we're awaiting the Magic UPVC Guy.

Last time this happened I had an on-site job, so at least I got a flamin' day off out of it!

18. Gareth Halfacree

Magic UPVC Guy has been, and successfully opened the door from the outside (dunno how, sadly, I was up in the office at the time.)

Apparently it's not the multi-point hooks, as I thought, but the main deadlock which has got itself frozen. Thankfully, he has a suitable replacement in the van; less thankfully, it'll be £150. Which, to be fair, is cheaper than a new door.

IanW, Mr_Mistoffelees and Arboreal like this.
  19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Magic innit.

Arboreal and MLyons like this.
  20. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Seems like a bit of a security risk if he can magically pop open a seemingly super locked door from the outside.

Guest-44638 likes this.