1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

[​IMG]
    A small (but somewhat steep around here) reward for when I am finished with the semester's exams (10th of June - Yes, I will be drinking on a Monday)

Bazz, Gareth Halfacree and Mister_Tad like this.
  2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This...

[​IMG]

... to use these...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

... with this one (fountain pen + inks are gifts from my girlfriend).

[​IMG]

Mister_Tad likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

OK, so the super-cheap deal on the Synology DS918+ on Amazon turned out to be a scammer - so far, 90-odd peeople are ranting at Amazon because the deal was highlighted as an Amazon Choice, and now Amazon say it doesn't qualify for the A to z refund protection apparently.

Not worried - I paid by credit card just in case.

Anyhoo, I managed to grab an open box/brown box DS918+ for £350 instead - should be here in a couple of days.

So, I need to fill it:

[​IMG]

Coz dems Reds in dem cases, init.

I got a 20% discount deal from WD because I bought a couple of NVMe drives from them because I got a 20% discount because they missed me after I bought some 6TB My Book drives because they sent me a 20% discount code after buying a couple of 4TB My Books because they sent me a 15% discount code... and breathe...

BTW I sold my 4TB and most of my 6TB drives in a NAS and microserver recently - they added more value to the enclosures than I paid for the drives new!

Much WD love going on here.

perplekks45 and adidan like this.
  4. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

Sure they're reds?

5. David

Yep - WD don't yet offer Blues in 8 or 10 TB capacities, so they fill them with the white-labelled WD Reds

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Any 4TB or 6TB reds going spare?

7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

"You HAD to make it weird...!"

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

AFAIK the 8TB ones are no longer He drives though, so not quite as nice as the 10TB which are.

David likes this.
  9. David

Sorry, Ian, I have no 4TB drives left and the two 6TBs are white-labelled blues - all my reds are 8 or 10TB.

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Cheers anyway mate, waiting for my DS918+ to arrive as well, I got mine for £390. It hasn't shipped yet but heres hoping.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I was going to comment on the mucho-DS918+ love in this thread, so I googled the specs.

M.2 caching you say. Trouser-arouser says I.

On topic: a replacement 1J0 973 735 plug as it comes with the pins and weatherproofing seals so I can add a pair of cables to my RS headlight loom for the DRL's and maintain that sweet factory seal.

..Until I split the lense off to paint the dark grey insert and possibly replace the tango indicator (soon to be DRL) lense with a clear or tinted one.

12. Mister_Tad

PCIe slot for 10GbE is a woeful omission though, considering QNAP gives it to you onboard at the same price point and form factor.

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Turns out the place selling me my DS918+ for a great price was sourcing it from a certain Amazon seller mentioned above...back to square one in my search. Cheeky sods taking my money (which is being refunded) without actually having the item in the first place.

14. liratheal

While true - It's of little concern to me, with my not 10GbE network!

15. Mister_Tad

The same is probably true for most, and likely why they think they can get away with it.

To me a NAS is something with a pretty long shelf life though, perhaps 5 years or more.
    802.3bz has already been appearing in consumer switches, motherboards and NICs starting from £30, so lack of >1gbit capability seems a bit short sighted from that point of view.

Maybe the x20+ models will be the ones where >gbit moves down one notch in the food chain to the 4 disk tier.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Probably thinking that the four bay models are for *small* businesses and as such won't have 10GbE facility, only *real* businesses have that so should buy the bigger, more expensive models.

I don't understand why they brought out the DS1019+, its basically a 5 bay version of the DS918+. My guess is to maybe as a test case in readiness for a new 20xx line?

17. liratheal

Don't get me wrong, I see the point of 10GbE, hell at work I was soldiering on for 40GbE on a number of customers for the sake of not replacing kit again in three years.

And I've had my DS2something for at least three years with plans to keep using it for as long as it holds out, albeit for a different purpose eventually.

For what I use my NAS(es) for, 10GbE is pointless, as is M.2 caching, so single gig is sufficient. I'll probably only ever upgrade to something more potent than single gig when I simply can't buy switches and network kit in it anymore.

For a proper business environment then sure. Or for someone who moves a lot of data often at home, but for me? Eh. Not so fussed.

FWIW, I wouldn't be buying a DS918+ unless it fell into the same price category as the DS415 stuff I've been casually watching on Fleabay.

18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

3 HD 5450 GPUs for the cheapaz chips season 3 competition on hwbot. Managed to get 2 free £5 vouchers on eBay so I only ended up spending £10. Now to work out how to volt mode and build a cheap watercooling loop.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  19. liratheal

A big bucket and mineral oil. Done.

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Next purchase will be some wire, solder and a bunch of trim pots :D

Also accidentally was convinced to buy a RTX2080ti.
    Thanks @imersa