1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Any soldering iron suggestions? :rollingeyes: Mine's a maplin £15 job from about 7 years ago and is borked. Volt mod resources would be great as well... :thumb:

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd agree that they're focusing very strongly on the SMB market these days and trying to establish themselves as a "real" storage company, but unfortunately that seems to be to the detriment of a large chunk of their customer base of SOHO and content creators - where >gbit is definitely a nice to have, and QNAP has it very well catered for.

They could easily differentiate SOHO and SMB models with partner programs and support offerings between them, instead of feature set.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I've been using a iroda solderpro 120 for a while now, seems to do the job, not the most accurate I'd say more a general kitchen knife than a scalpel

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

When I was working in electronics, 25+ years ago, Metcal irons were well regarded. Not sure if they are still good.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I was tempted by QNAP, but I can't afford a 10 gig switch and none of the PCs at home have anything other than one or two 1 gig ports.

I can at least LAG the ports on my switch to offer better throughput to my main rig.

Plus DSM > QTS.

9. Mister_Tad

You may be disappointed there... 2x1Gbit does not equal 2Gbit... two lanes of cars, rather than faster cars.

I would have thought most of 10GbE QNAPs in use in home environments are probably attaching the 10Gb directly to the main workstation, sans-switch. Total cost: £20 DAC cable and ~£50 NIC. Not insignificant, but nothing like switched 10Gbit.

Indubitably!

I'm a synologite... (synologer?)... myself, in spite of some of the hardware shortcomings in comparison to QNAP mainly due to this.

Last edited: 9 May 2019
  10. David

??

It worked on my QNAP box - bonded the ports in QTS, did the same on my switch and the two ports on my motherboard.

11. Mister_Tad

Was that LACP, or something else? And 200MB/sec from what appeared to be a single stream? Much overhead? Did you have to faff much?

Whilst there are scenarios where you can increase the effective point to point bandwidth by link aggregation (e.g. SMB multichannel), I never found it to be terribly reliable, and generally LAGs are better suited to increasing the multi-client bandwdith (or for simply redundancy) at the server/switch rather than the client.

12. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

As stated above typically bonded ports are resilience on consumer grade kit. It’ll fail over when one is down. If you have LACP or Etherchannel link aggregation supported on a managed switch you can do bonding. The algorithm isn’t perfect but with two links it basically sends every other packet down each. The algorithms are more complicated than this but the analogy will do. Anyway. You lose some efficiency in the bonding.

13. David

iirc, it was called channel bonding in QTS, LAG in my managed switch and I can't remember what windows called it.

14. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I translate that as 'Bought it now, expecting a row when the card/bank statement arrives'... could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

5 packs of 4x AA cells because the Co-Op near work was selling them for 42p per pack. I've mostly switched over to Eneloop rechargeables now, but at ~11p per cell it's worth stocking up on spares. Plus there are cases where the voltage drop of NiMH cells causes an issue in the device its powering even when the cells are nowhere near empty.

[​IMG]

goldstar0011 and adidan like this.
  16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Keeping up with the drum-related purchases, I decided to get a Pearl Eliminator Redline double pedal - another ebay bargain, this time for a brand new product. I used to have a Tama Iron Cobra (great pedal) and sold it back in 2009, so it's nice to be back in the game again. Also these Sabian hats are incredible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I took a punt on the 7dayshop good to go rechargeables, turns out they're just dandy for all the remotes, the phone and that sort of thing. Think i've only charged the ones in the most used remote once.

Whether i'd use them for anything more important, not so sure. And, yeah, for things like the smoke alarms and CO alarm I don't use rechargeables (think you're advised not to IIRC). Could do with finding some 42p packs myself :)

18. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I'm sensing a "buy quick & say nuffin', before they realise they screwed up!"...

19. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I still have a load of Energizer Lithium AA and AAAs I got for similar money at a Co-Op which was closing down. No idea why they had them in the first place, but Co-Op do tend to do silly cheap clearance stuff from time to time.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This is why I got the eneloops, really. They're extremely low self-discharge, so don't lose their charge over time. Plus they're capable of supplying at least 2A per cell when you need them to.