1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Gym headphone

Discussion in 'General' started by goldstar0011, 13 May 2019.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Howdy

I'm thinking about treating myself to some new overhead headphones for the cardio days at the gym.

Currently use some wired Sennheiser earbudsplugged into a bluetooth adapter which work great but not as great, car come loose and let surrounding sound in.

I love metal so bass is important and watch youtube and netflix whilst at gym and would like to go fully wireless but am open to wired cause I have the BT adapter.

I don't have a budget or any more saved but I need to know what to plan so.

Cheers

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

pretty straightforward advice from me;
    You need less "bass" than you think, and (especially for metal) more even response across the spectrum.
    Sound insulation helps loads with that.

My advice: Shure SE 215 - you can run them wired or wireless via BT (can buy either version - the connector is replaceable, so can be bought separately and switched or co-opted later on).
    They don't sound the best in the business, but they sound very solid (I get much more out of them than i did my various Sennheiser earphones), and are (to my ears) super comfortable (to the point where I forget I am wearing them). Obviously, the same applies to the SE 315, and higher up models.
    They're also pretty affordable. Probably around the 100-150 pound mark (judging by what they cost here).

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I use a pair of these. They're fantastic, massive battery life, active noise cancellation which can be switched on independently of the Bluetooth connection if you want a bit of quiet time, and they're under £14 delivered. The only thing I'd recommend for sports use would be a rubber bung for the USB Type-C charging port to keep your sweat out of it.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Replies already highlight the issue, need a bit more information on what you're wanting.
    The fact they're for the gym implies you're looking for comfort/ease of use more than sound quality perhaps?

Either way if you're looking for a good pair I can recommend the SE215s, currently listening with them at work. However I personally wouldn't want to wear them to the gym where they'd be more likely to get sweaty/dirty etc.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Would you not find that headphones would be even worse for bouncing off your head?

I'd too suggest in-ears, and perhaps the Sennheisers you have now just aren't a good fit - if you're happy with the sound of them, worth investigating whether you can replace the tips to solve the fit issue.

Otherwise, SE215s or any of the other Shures are pretty great for comfort and a secure fit. I used SE215s for a long time, including the gym, and even having traded up, still stayed in the Shure camp.

6. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

They fit but I sometimes catch the wire and it knocks it loose.

I'm generally happy with in ear headphones and will look into the ones mentioned, I've not owned a headphones in like forever but tested a few peoples and loved the sound being sent to the ear rather than the injection of an in-ear.

My drive to consider this is mostly the slight hassle of having a wire attached to my BT device

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Try the 'over the ear' method (if you aren't already): instead of just letting the wire hang down from the earphone, turn the earphone 180° so the wire points 'up' (and a bit forward), then hook it behind your ear and run the wire down the back of you ear. That plus some Comply foam tips should give you a good reliable seal.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

This, and I also sometimes use a little clip on the back of my shirt if i feel like I'm going to pull the cable.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I just use these ink'd wireless or something like it.

Keeps out plenty of noise as they make a good seal (come with a few tips) and had no issues with wires but perhaps I am not active enough at the gym :D Sound is good if they are in your ear enough and sealed if not it can sound quite tinny.

Nice an cheap so I don't feel bad if I do break em. Not as cheap as Gareths though which look similar.

Last edited: 14 May 2019
  10. silk186

silk186 Derp

I second these, the sound and comfort are good and they don't move around.

11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Not sure how i feel about these headphones with the neck piece.

Plenty of positives for the SE215s so might have a gander

Cheers

12. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

If you have a set of wired headphones you like, you might want to consider a bluetooth receiver. A little clunker over all but a relatively cheap option. I have been using an Avantree Clipper Pro and so far it has worked great. But then my usage has been while watching action flicks late at night (kids room directly above the TV, very poor planning), and when I am washing dishes and the kids are playing in front of the TV and making too much noise.

I have a set of SE215 and a wired set of 535ltd's. I love the fit and sound quality of both. That said, I have noticed the audio delay with BT1, the Bluetooth receiver that comes with the SE215s. Fine for music, but not with video. I was considering ordering a BT2 as it supports aptX Low Latency, but went with the afore mentioned much cheaper option.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I have the BT2 + SE425 combo. The BT2 is excellent with no appreciable delay and bonkers battery life for something so tiny, but I wouldn't use it for the gym (way too much risk of damage).