1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mini GPU mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Goatee, 2 May 2019.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I saw a really interesting post over on SFF and it game me some inspiration for a build that's been hanging around for a while. I dropped this on as a reply but thought I would post here if anyone was interested.

The base I used:

[​IMG]

NF-A92X14 @1400 RPM

[​IMG]

plus a 12mm thick heatsinkoff ebay

[​IMG]

With a bit of trimming and a couple added holes, this gives a 1.5 slot (~30mm) thick, extra short card (15cm) that's almost silent. At the moment I am getting 65c stable after an hour of Furmark, 25c while browsing. Ambient is 20c.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yaka, adidan and MLyons like this.
  2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Very nice. What overall build is this going in? I guess it boosted higher as well.

Goatee likes this.
  3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

4. kim

kim hardware addict

very interesting idea :thumb:...I'm actually looking for a low profile air-cooling rad/fan for a little build and prices are just insane:wallbash:...if that works for your GPU it could certainly cool a little Pentium G645...:geek:

Goatee likes this.
  5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Yep, I'm quite pleased actually. I ordered a longer but shorter 10mm heatsink from China. Will try expanding it out and fitting some smaller fans when that arrives.

6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Here is a mini-update.

I mounted the case to my computer cabinet. Its not painted (the cabinet) and the build isn't finished yet but I'm really pleased with how it looks so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yaka likes this.
  7. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Love rack-mount builds. I love that you're taking a 1U chassis and doing something else!

8. TechnoMod87

TechnoMod87 What's a Dremel?

I hate the color of the fans noctua :miffed: but performarce are fantastic !

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I thought they sold black ones now

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

They do, but AFAIK they are 'Industrial' spec, not just black variants of the (in)famous Coffee 'n' Cream ones.
    Similarly, the 2 tone grey 'Redux' range are not the same as the main ones, they are the previous generation of fans in a new colour scheme, and don't have the accessories supplied with them
    like the speed drop resistor leads and rubber mount pins.

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Yep, the baby puke and post curry brown are still in my opinion the best. I have kind of grown attached to them now.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. MLyons

I wasn't aware of those tweaks. Does anyone have experience with the EK fans? They seem to be getting quite a bit of praise online but I've not personally worked with them.

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, the main point of the Redux range is that they're cheaper because they don't come with all of the bells and whistles, so no low-noise adaptors, anti-vibration mounts or fan extension leads. Just the fan in the box, basically. And in terms of performance they're not quite the same as the latest and greatest standard Noctua efforts (although still very decent indeed).

Personally, I don't mind the classic Noctua colour scheme, and I can't see them inside my case anyway :D Actually, that's a lie, I can just make out the side-panel fan on my M1, but only the "cream" part and not the "coffee" bit :D

14. nOracle

nOracle What's a Dremel?

There's the Chromax range too, in black with swapable coloured anti vibration pads

15. MLyons

I guess these also aren't the top end ones.

16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Ahem,#CoffeeNCreamMasterrace surely...

They do take a lot of beating and the new ones with Sterrox® liquid-crystal polymer blades are really excellent, I hear.

Low-noise adaptors, that's what I was trying to say....

Ditto on the not seeing them, (but they ARE there), I am still going to change the 92 and 120 ones in my M1 to Redux, because Grey

17. nOracle

nOracle What's a Dremel?

Don't have time to compare the specs right not, but the blurb says "It ranges from chromax editions of the signature NF-A15, NF-A14, NF-F12 and NF-S12A", which i think ar the standard brown versions.

18. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The Chromax fans are the same as the brown versions but don't offer such a wide selection. In 120mm size they only offer high airflow and static pressure versions. I have a couple and they are awesome, if a tad pricey. They don't come with ULNA or extension cables etc but do come with the different coloured rubber pads.

Source: https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/buying-guide

Last edited: 14 May 2019
  19. TechnoMod87

TechnoMod87 What's a Dremel?

yes but unfortunately not in all models

20. hayate89

hayate89 What's a Dremel?

mmmm i dont read the temp