1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Not even advanced necromancy can revive Windows phone... closest you'll get now is using Microsoft's launcher/apps in place of Googles, but it'd still be android.

Also ads have been in the GMail app for a while now... not surprised it's spread to other apps [or at least people have only just noticed].

Last edited: 15 May 2019
  2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

My XA1 spends more time attached to the mains than it does to my ear, so maybe no loss if Android does take a dump.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

TBF, I'd rather have a Huawei phone that is completely free of ads, but secretly spying on me (I ain't got anything exciting/incriminating for them to see).

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Lineage OS?

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Pi-Hole here, what are these things called "ads" you speak of?

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

If they start pushing ad's in to everything then bye bye Android phone, I will find an old Nokia 3310 and get a sim card that works in it and that will do me.

I don't really use my smartphone for anything other than the occasional phone call, text, GPS and music in my car which can all be replaced quite easily so wouldn't be a hassle to me.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm surprised this isn't a thing already. Google online services are ad funded and this seems to apply to them. If you access the same service through a browser rather than an app you get ads.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Works so long as you don't take your mobile away from your home network (or if you keep it connected to your home network via VPN, I guess) - but for on-the-go there's DNS66 or the prettier Blokada.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

True, the shock I get when I use t'nternet away from home is jarring to say the least.

The vast majority of the usage for myself and my family is at home though so it suffices for now, if that changes I will definately be looking at one of those two options as well.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Win10 mobiles being ended 10th December 2019

https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/4485197/windows-10-mobile-end-of-support-faq

Honestly if this is a real thing and it goes main stream it will just make people move to Apple products or we will see a huge backlash from users and Google make a big backstep on it (which is more likely).

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The worlds biggest advertising company take a backward step from...serving people adverts? Really? What have you been smoking? Can I have some?

12. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Not in this lifetime...

perplekks45 and damien c like this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I use Outlook for email and Opera on my phone. The only other app I use is the bundled Google Maps navigation software and if that gets infected by adds, I'll find an alternative.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

If I think about it there's not much I need to do on my phone. Videos are better on bigger screens and I only ever use email on PCs and I never use them for banking or tickets.

In fact I only really check the news, verbally vomit on the forum, watch a bit of YT (if I find anything worth watching I watch it on PC or the TV) and do fantasy football.

Getting a bit tired of them as actual things TBH.

Besides that, whatsapp. Oh and the odd call.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If my phone starts becoming an ad-portal it'll be the last push I needed to go back to my V3 RAZR.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks both.

Had a phone call from my mother a little while ago. He's been confirmed as brain dead and once everyone had a chance to say goodbye they turned off the life support equipment. He basically died on Monday when he had the heart attack.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Potentially insensitive comment alert:

Good. Not good that he's dead, but good that it's over with quickly... It always seems to be a whole heap worse when that kind of thing drags out over a long period.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Probably work, someones been sneaking up an smoking cannabis an the smell permeates through the building, apparently no one can work out who it is.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sorry Byron that's beat :(

Sorry I missed it also, am now dosed off my face on anti psychotics. Taking a sabbatical I will see you guys in a few days.

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work